help please i dont understand

Options
dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,944
edited 28. Nov 2010, 12:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone i'm sorry to go on.
sunday i was in the bathroom and i went to turn and i fell backwards and hit my head on the wall i have a lump so monday i went to the doc he said it was arther progressing and making my muscle's weak.
i dont understand what he means.
i've been to physio and i have a back support they gave
me to help when i need it.
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Joan

Surely the best thing to do is ring up the docs surgery ask can they call you back. Just say it plainly, you didnt fully understand what he/she meant...Im sure they wouldnt mind and it would give you peace of mind...Sometimes people can speak in jargon and dont realise others dont use it......

Good Luck

Elainex
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Joan
    I am so sorry you have had a fall, I think the worse thing about falling is that it shakes you up, so I hope you are taking it eay for a while.
    When I had my fall last year, my gp said the same, that I am not using my muscles the same so they get weaker.
    But I know that you do your exacises, so I am not sure, could you ask him what more you can do to inprove your muscles.
    Sorry I am not much help, I do hope you feel etter very soon.
    Sending you some nice warm hugs ((((((())))))
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Elaine Barbara
    the doc said it might be best if i got a walker.
    i have a stick and kitchen trolly and i put my hand on things as i walk past.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Joan
    Just a thought, could you ask your physio for advice, if you go back to your gps, ask if you can see the OT, to see if they can come up with something.
    Hopefully the fall was a one off, touch wood I havent had another.
    love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Barbara
    the doc also said it was having cerebral palsy that did not help as that made muscles weak the physio said my legs are strong.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I did a reply but it's lost somewhere! I am sorry you had a fall, they do unsettle one so I hope you have been resting and recovering. Arthritis is a progressive condition, it does tend to affect more of the body the longer one has it - I know you have been doing your exercises in order to keep as much strength in your muscles. I don't know how much the CP would impact on this tho - when you hear something like that from your doc it does tend to be upsetting and any questions you might have tend to fly out of the window. Perhaps it would be a good idea to go and see him again, and ask for some more information. Would a walker help - I can see the value of the support it offers, and it's designed for the job (unlike the trolley) but they can take up some room! I hope you are feeling as OK as you can be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you DD.
    it takes a bit of understanding and but it could be a lot worse.
    thank all of you for answering.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    These little bombshells of info are splattered into one's life by doctors who sometimes just do not understand the impact of their words. A bald statement of a fact (for them) explodes with such force for us. It is a great deal to come to terms with, it will take time to understand, and this is not helped by the fact that we are all so different in the way that our arthritis affects us. We are given these blanket, umbrella terms: OA, RA, PA, fibro etc, when more accurately it's dachshund's OA, DD's PA etc etc etc. Thinking of you. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    Joan

I am so sorry I missed this :oops:

so very sorry - you have always been kind to me and i missed it :(

It is hard to accept when we are told this sort of thing, but maybe you shoukld ask to be referred for one? then you cojld try them out and see if they would actually help you - maybe an OT could come to see you at home.

It may be the arthritis or yes the CP, but you and the 'experts' could look at at assessing the actual risk of falling.

This might have been a one off accident. If not it is sensible to look at things to help.

I do hope you are feeling better now?

Love

toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Yep, Barbara said it, your joints hurt so you don't use them as much and the muscles/ligaments/tendons lose their condition or tone so they can't do their job properly.

Use it or lose it. I've always wondered why my OH keeps wagging her finger at me.... :lol:

:arrow: :arrow: Time for tea..
    8) Its a grin, honest!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    [Use it or lose it. I've always wondered why my OH keeps wagging her finger at me.... :lol:

:arrow: :arrow: Time for tea..
    8) Its a grin, honest![/quote]

:shock:
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi Toni.
    its my fault i hurry and my body wont i think i turned to quick and fell i was not dizzy.
    i've done it all my life and i that is how i broke my hip 14
    years ago i had to have it screwed and hafter a year the screws started coming out so i had to have a thr.
    arther has slowed me down but now i think i'm lazy because
    i'm not doing things so quick.
    sorry to go on.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi Toni.
    its my fault i hurry and my body wont i think i turned to quick and fell i was not dizzy.
    i've done it all my life and i that is how i broke my hip 14
    years ago i had to have it screwed and hafter a year the screws started coming out so i had to have a thr.
    arther has slowed me down but now i think i'm lazy because
    i'm not doing things so quick.
    sorry to go on.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You are not lazy, dachshund, I think we forget sometimes that our bodies cannot keep up with what we want to do. Our brains and thoughts are always that little bit further ahead than the body! I know that I have to concentrate so hard when walking I have apparently 'ignored' people - it isn't deliberate, it's just that I am so focused on NOT falling over that I don't 'see' people, or respond sometimes to a bellowed 'Hello!'. One moment's inattention and we're down! Falling is the easy bit, but getting up? :shock:

Keep doing your exercises, as much as you can, they will help to keep your muscles stronger and thus support your joints a little better. I guess the CP also has an impact on this - I wouldn't mind betting that you find a fair few things very frustrating - how you hold on to your temper as well as you do is beyond me! I hope you and your sister have a lovely week-end: please keep warm and stay indoors if it's snowy. I wish you both well. DD
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Joan,

so sorry to have missed your post. :oops:

A fall does give the whole body such a shock :shock: children bounce back without a second's thought or backward glance... but for us it can be quite a major event. :wink:

I'm glad you did not injure yourself (although a lump on the back of the head is bad enough :roll: ) and that your hip wasn't affected this time.

Docs sometimes make these kind of sweeping statements and we can be left feeling confused or anxious (or both!).... so seeing him again, or even a phone consultation, might fill in the gaps for you of what he meant.

I hope this hasn't shaken your confidence too much Joan...

(((hugs)))

Iris xxxx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi DD Iris.
    thank you arther is very frustrating.
    keep warm and thank you its nice that the kind people on here understand.
    have a good weekend.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    you too Joan, I hope you have a lovely weekend. :D
    ..... and please say hi to Sue from me. :wink:

Iris xxx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Joan,
    Oh that was a nasty shock for you. It is an awful feeling when you haven’t got time to save yourself. Is the lump your head going down yet?

Some gentle hugs coming your way,
    Lv, Ix