One step forward, 2 shuffles back...

Options
alarkra
alarkra Member Posts: 213
edited 25. Nov 2010, 03:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Come on here now to have a bit of a cyber cry so I don’t make a scene here in the office.

I had my steroid jab just over a week ago and hoped that would make me feel better. But unfortunately it’s actually done the reverse so today my ankles are throbbing with aching pain and are on fire… I’m so disappointed, this was not how it way meant to be. The jab has worked twice before, so why has it failed this time? I’m so down, I’m supposed to be having a week off next week and seeing friends in London, having a fun ‘staycation’ and I can’t bring myself to think that I have to cancel it and spend my precious leave at home on my own again… like I was all this summer… it’s so upsetting and depressing. I guess I have to wait a long time before I can have another jab yes? The doc did inject it higher up than usual, it’s usually in the buttock but this time it was in my hip-fat. I did ask if that was going to affect it in any way and he insisted that it was going to be fine… *sniffle* It’s so unfair, I thought I was actually getting better…

Don’t mean to be so low and negative, but it’s Murphy’s law that this has happened… I feel a fool for not expecting it to giving my run of luck!

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Alarka

I just wanted to say i read your post and felt for you. It surely must have made a difference if your doc injected in a slightly different place to normal, wonder why they did that? I dont suppose any meds can help you in meantime can they?
    Ive had steroid jabs twice and theyve never helped my knees so ive never known the good side of steroid injections, for me the springy, bouncy but just never happened....
    Is your London trip definately a no-no? I only say this as even if you can be there, joining in the conversation and having a laugh at least that can be good for the soul.....But of course you know your limits and its your decision....

Sorry not of much help...

Elainex
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Like the arthritis they are meant to help, steroid jabs are a temperamental mistress/master. Sometimes they work, other times (and for no apparent reason) they don't. I have never found them the slightest use, even those injected directly into the joint. It sounds to me as tho you had a depo, an-overall-body-booster of a jab, not one designed to target a specific area. I think one is only supposed to have them once every three months or so - what about oral steroids? If you are also on them would it be worth ringing you rheumatology nurse to ask if you could boost those to get you thro your break? Rest as much as you can, alarkra, you need to have a good few days with your mates. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Hey Elaine and DD.

Thanks for your posts.

Elaine - I've decided to be bold and today I booked my London accommodation. Even if I do hurt everywhere, I'll at least be able to drag my sorry body to a restaurant to see my friends and possible to a show or two - minimum physical stress!

DD - yes, it was a Depo jab. It really helped last time, but possibly the cold weather has slowed it all down? I don't know. I just feel at a loss really and the Rheumy nurse said there's nothing more they can do, especailly as I'm on such a cocktail of stuff! I can't take paracetamol based painkillers as they make me so poorly, so I just have to ride out the pain. :roll: Such is life.

How are you both feeling? I know that you both haven't been feeling to great yourselves recently. Have you started to feel a little bit better or are you still feeling yuck?

Sending you love. xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Depos vary, sometimes good, sometimes pointless. I have only ever experienced the latter, but I have seen them work for others - lucky b***ers, the blasted things are effective! You need to get the pain under some form of control - I cannot remember what you can and cannot take - :oops: - but there are all sorts available - paracetamol deosn't have the clout we need but you can't have that anyway. Pain never entirely goes: one has to learn to adjust to the general background of discomfort, but then again we all have different levels of tolerance. I used to to think that my left knee was intolerable back in the early days: now I would gladly return to just that, in all its 27" glory! I am glad you are going to go away - being distracted from it can also lessen the pain, take ankle supports with you, knee supports, anything to help your joints. Also make sure you have a stick or two, they can make a huge difference. Mostly tho, ENJOY YOURSELF! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben