Simple Question

Options
Africa
Africa Member Posts: 22
edited 24. Nov 2010, 16:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
As I am new and awaitng to see Rheumy - first appointment - how do I get gizmos to help me to open jars vitamin bottles etc - husband or right hand man literally, in hospital struggling a bit on my own. :?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Various bits of kit are available, there are a number of types of jar openers, I have a Good Grips one, V shaped with metal teeth, designed to grip the lid, and a lovely fat handle for me to hold: I love Good Grips stuff, the handles are a delight. I also have discs of 'grippy' plastic, you know, the sort of webbed matting you can buy to stop things slipping on trays etc. I cut some circles out of a piece of that, they give a good handhold on something slippery and are small enough for pill jars. I also decant the majority of my meds into more user-friendly containers - I struggle with the child-proof ones. There are things about - do you have a disabled supplier near you? I have a couple, they sell sticks, buggies, BB holders, other bits of gear that people like us find helpful. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    Hi Africa

I have the V shaped one too and a rubberythingy which helps unscrew lids you pop it over and it grips them for you.

If hubby is not there I find bashing the lid ofg the jar with a rolling pin helps release the vacuum. Not TOOO hard though :wink:

Love

toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    I have a device like a product called baby boa but a cheaper version for getting lids off jars.

To release the vaccum in a jar it is a plastic object shaped like a big bottle opener. you put it under lip and pull up and the vaccum button pops up.

I have things that OH has made too.

A lot of things to make life simple can be bought off the net, arg** or as DD said a mobility shop.

Hope you find something to help you soon.

Juliepf x
  • Africa
    Africa Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks silly me never thaught of those simple tricks suppose I just feel I'm living in a fog at the moment but the bashing with a rolling pin really made me laugh so theaputic!!!! :lol:

If I cant do anything..... out with the rolling pin :lol:

Will have to look into local suppliers and will do a google search - thanks I am a plonker its just I've always just done stuff without thinking ...now I have to think :roll:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi, Have you read the thread that is at the top of the forum
    Simple things to make life easier {I think LOL} there are lots of good cheap ideas on that ...without going through it again i cant remember if there is anything to help you but its worth a read anyway....

Love
    Hileena