Ribs!

Options
Poppyg1rl
Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
edited 29. Nov 2010, 11:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Off to see Rheumy tomorrow, am back on mtx and sulfa after a break due to low WBC. Problem I've got is very painful ribs, I've had it nearly 3 wks now and been to see Gp, unfortunately saw a locum who was totally disinterested, prescribed more co - dydramol and said I've probably pulled something lifting children (am a childminder). This is possible, but I've never had this before and I've been childminding for 15yrs. Should I mention to Rheumy or just accept dr's explanation and hope it goes away? Does anyone else have rib pain with PA? Thanks Poppy x
'grá agus solas'
'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Poppygirl,

I know from experience that rib/sternum pain is can be associated with RA and it may be a feature of PA too. I would mention it to the rheumatologist when you go because, although the rheumatologist is primarily treating your PA, it is important that he knows of anythiing else which is affecting your health.

I do hope that the rib pain eases up soon - you don't need that as well do you?!!!

Love Tilly xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think you should mention it to your rheumatologist, it's the sort of thing he should know! I wish you well, good luck with your appointment and let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I get rib pain. Both my GP and rheumy say it is associated with the arthritis.
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks Tilly, DD and Salamander, I will mention it as it's affecting me so much, had to take half day today as loopy from sleep deprivation, ribs hurt whenever you try to sleep. Past week or so going to bed with 2 hot water bottles strapped to my sides! I don't think it is a childminding injury, I normally know when I've done something silly like lifting etc. Thanks again I'll let you know how I get on, wish you all a good week Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    Hi poppy

I get this too - i think it is relevant so you should and will be mentioning it I see :D

Love

toni xx
  • Chinup
    Chinup Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi Poppy

I hope you get the help you need tomorrow let us know how you get on, by the way I did manage to get some tabs to line my tummy with all tabs I am taking, Thanks for chatting at that horrible time in the morning Sunday, I am going back to work in the morning. Take care Di x.
  • queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    Options
    Hi Poppy I get it quite a lot, It's called Costochondritis, A few years ago about 15 I had to have one of my ribs out because I had a spur growing, I tend to suffer with this a lot it is due to Arthritis, but Poppy I would still get it checked out to be on the safe side
    Best wishes Sue x
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi Sue,Di and Tony,
    Thanks for your advice and encouragement, written (typed can't write at moment fingers too swollen) up my questions so I don't forget anything. I am so glad I'm seeing Rheumy today, I've been up since 3am with the pain and am thoroughly fed up! I didn't know the rib pain could be due to arthritis, it will be good to get it sorted out. Thanks again guys I'll keep you updated Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good luck for today, poppygirl, we'll be thinking of you. DD
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi DD, Toni and Di,
    Had appt, Rheumy says inflammation v high at moment, increasing my mtx and put me on Tramadol. Got to go for an xray today re rib pain. Had a good chat with her, she is really sympathetic and understanding of the pain and tiredness, I don't think I acknowledged how bad things had got, I'm very good at soldiering on. Sat and had a cry when she talked about the possibility of giving up Childminding, it's not an easy job for a fit person, but for me it's starting to become impossible. I don't know how I'll work unless I take painkillers and co- dydramol is not working for me so now on Tramadol, I'm not working today or next Monday as I'm at physio for a warm wax bath for my hand and then getting a splint done for my crooked fingers. It's all a bit much at the moment, lots to take in and think about while dealing with pain. The parents of my little charges are all fantastic, day off yesterday and today and Monday, they have said do what you need to do to keep working as they really want me for their children.
    'grá agus solas'
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    God this disease is destructive, and not just on our bodies. I admire the spirit in fighting on poppygirl, but the question has to be asked: how much further damage could you end up causing yourself? I will be giving up soon, and my job is nothing like as physical as yours: it is such a disappointing end to my little business life but I have to think of me now. Don't rush into any major decisions, give the drugs time to do something - anything! - but start to put yourself first. It isn't easy to do but there are times when that is the only answer. I am so sorry. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    Hi poppy

bless you :( you rest up and try to assimilate all the information. You must be feeling so sad at the thought of not childminding.

You take care hope the hot bath helps and the splint get sorted very soon.

Love

toni xx
  • queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    Options
    Poppy I am just trying to pull myself together from sitting here crying :cry: I so know how you are feeling, because up until last year I have worked in a nursery in a school & really love my Job, but have been off sick this last 12 months & it is killing me not being with my group of children, I know in my heart I cant do my job any more & it hurts like mad.I am only now starting to accept it, with the help of my husband & friends, The thing is I feel that I am letting them all down,but to be honest with myself how I am at the moment I wouldn't be of much use :roll:
    Poppy try not to be to hard on yourself, Just look after yourself, your little ones parents really appreciate you looking after their children,& you are doing a great job,I hope your pain settles, in the mean time sending you warm ((()))
    take care Sue x
  • Chinup
    Options
    Hi poppy,

I have been thinking about you over the past couple of days, Im sorry that you say you might have to give up your job as a childminder, its great the parents understand your problems at the moment and are standing by you, I really hope you can get your pain sorted out, it was nice to talk to you last sunday morning when i was in despair, like you said in your post to day, you soldier on and do not relize how bad you really are, I am the same. Enjoy your hand wax bath, i have heared they are great. I have O/T on monday to see what they can offer me. Take care Di.
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi DD, Toni, Sue and Di
    Thank you so much for your kind words of advice and encouragement, i read them and felt a bit weepy, but in a good way. I was phoned this afternoon by rheumy to say she's had a look at my xrays and thinks coupled with her examination yesterday, I may have pleurisy, so im on antibiotics, at least it's a diagnosis and something can be done.
    I'm taking your advice DD, and going to wait and see how I get on with the change in meds before I make the dreaded decision to stop childminding.
    I wanted to ask as I'm a bit apprehensive about taking the Tramadol (heard bad reports of it) what your thoughts are of it? To be honest if it means I get some sleep I'll be very grateful!.
    Thankyou again you wonderful people, you've been such a support, off to bed now take care all Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
  • Chinup
    Options
    OOh Poppy you poor soul, you take care and I hope you get some sleep. Speak soon Di x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Poppy :D

sorry I missed your post. :oops: but glad that you at least now know what's causing the awful pain and can start on the right treatment. :wink:

I've been taking Tramadol for quite some time now.... it is a heavy duty analgesic.. so I hope it helps you. I take the capsules with a glass of milk as I find it does upset my stomach if I don't.

The advice I was given was not to drive if I'm taking my full dose which is 2x 50mg capsules 4 times a day, and also to 'avoid' alcohol.... but your dose may be different so check on the advice with your doc or pharmacist!

hope the pain eases really soon. stay warm.

Iris xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

I had this pain in the ribs very early on with my R.A. It felt like a herd of elephants sitting on my chest at night. It went after a while, about a year, and hasn't come back and I am sure getting medication was what helped get rid of this pain. I wasn't on any meds for the first year and that was when it was at its worse.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    Oh Poppy glad you now have something to call your pain....you must have been in agony and feeling very poorly with pleuricy.
    I finally had time to sit down tonight and go through the posts to catch up...so sorry this is a little late.
    I have PA and have rib pain of a different kind,I find reaching /stretching up flares it and think it is a result of surgery which took several hours a couple of years ago.

Take care of yourself and let us know how things go..keep warm too! :)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

Are you feeling any better? I do hope so.I dont take tramadol but hear it can space you out.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Hi Poppy,I am quite new on here so tend to just browse through all the posts,yours caught my attention :) I also work with children,it's my life,and I love my job,I have been of work for over a year.Have now got 2 new hips and I am in the middle of itensive physio.However have been told that my OA will get worse over the next few years.I have now been trying to stand on my legs as long as possibleand to lift anything that would be the same weight as a small child.I don't know if I will ever be abe to do my job again,so can fully appreciate what your going through.I wish you all the best :) Mirabella
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi Di, Iris Cbeem, Elizabeth and Mirabella,
    Sorry for delay in replying, pleurisy really taking it out of me although antibiotics seem to be working now though, I can go for a short walk without wanting to cry! Had my warm wax bath this afternoon for my crooked fingers and it was bliss! Can thoroughly recommend it to anyone with arthritic fingers. I'm meant to be back at work tomorrow...not sure I'll be 100% but will give it a go, letting down parents otherwise. Thankyou to everyone who gave me advice and encouragement I really appreciate it.
    PS i took 2 Tramadol the first night and slept through from 9pm to 12pm!! Stayed on co co's since.
    Thanks again and love and best wishes to all Poppy x
    'grá agus solas'
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My apologies poppygirl, I totally missed your question about the tramadol! I have always found them OK - I was on the 50mg ones, which were my 'in extremis' pain dullers: they helped me sleep but I could not (mixed with a bit of would not) take them during the day. Now however,as things are definitely worse, I have upgraded to the slow-release 100mg: they certainly take the edge off matters and I don't feel sleepy on them despite them being twice the strength, I top up with cocos every five-six hours tho, just to deaden things slightly again. I took one at 10am (that was at least 90 minutes after all the other meds) as I realised early on that I wouldn't get thro the day without that, and topped up at 3pm as I started work a little after that. I won't take another one tonight tho, I will use the cocos instead. It's also humira night tonight, so hopefully that will also help matters on the pain front. I should also be able to cope better with life once I have had that whack of stuff - my coping skills lessen throughout the humira fortnight! It takes time to find out what dosage of dullers is necessary - the fact that the condition fluctuates so much doesn't help on that front. I hope this made some sense - we are all different in what we can cope with, and what we need to help.

Pleurisy? Strewth! I hope the antibiotics begin to kick in soon and knock that little so-and-so on the head, good and proper! In wish you well. DD