Cricket - Ashes Tour

Options
Bookseverywhere
Bookseverywhere Member Posts: 196
edited 29. Nov 2010, 04:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
How many cricket fans are there out there? I am fanatical about the game (which is the only sport I have ever played competitively). I forsee some sleepless nights ahead as I keep track of the test matches down under.

Best wishes,
Kevin.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I sort-of follow it, I worked at Lord's one summer (which was fun - I was a temporary membership secretary for Middlesex CC) and I have a mate (Steve) who is off down-under after Christmas for a test match. He knows nothing about cricket but there's a crowd of them going. Mr DD is green with envy and will no doubt sulk whilst Steve is away. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    Take no notice of the papers, the Aussies will fight to the bitter end, it might not be as easy as the papers are saying.
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    My OH and son are cricket-mad. Son's in the Scotland U15s cricket squad and it's bad enough getting him to bed on school nights anyway without The Ashes as a distraction!

They've tried to explain the rules of cricket to me but I just seem to have a mental block where cricket is concerned - it would help to know the rules as it's really boring hanging around for hours while son plays his matches!

Good luck to England anyway!

Lois
  • Bookseverywhere
    Options
    Lois, How wonderful that your son is in Scotland's U15 squad. Is he a batter or a bowler or allrounder?

I'm sure there are plenty of people at the matches who will explain the rules to you...

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Kevin,

He's a bowler - he did a 5 day residential at Lancashire cricket club last year and really enjoyed it. Am hoping he'll go far and keep me in the manner to which I've become accustomed in my old age!

Lois
  • Bookseverywhere
    Options
    Lois,
    Lancashire over the years have produced some of the great bowlers: Statham, Ken Higgs, Peter Lever, Shuttleworth, Paul Allott, Chapple, Peter Martin, Andrew Flintoff, James Anderson and Sajid Mahmoud (all of whom played for England, and Anderson is currently leader of the English attack). If he received bowling coaching at Lancashire, then he's already got a head start!

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • Bookseverywhere
    Options
    Don't give up hope: that was only the first day. On the second day, expect Anderson to get several wickets swinging the ball under a cloudy and humid atmosphere, followed by Broad and Finn with some short rearing deliveries, and Swan bamboozling them with his spin, with finally Anderson returning with the old ball to get some reverse swing.

At least that's the theory....

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • Bookseverywhere
    Options
    Steady on old chap - Benaud is an Aussie! :lol:

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm not giving up hope yet! A poor dress rehearsal often means a good first night - poor analogy I know, but I am sure we will improve - we have to! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Bookseverywhere
    Options
    Yes, it's just basic ABC - Anderson, Broad, Collingwood!

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • Bookseverywhere
    Options
    The real Thanksgiving will happen in four days' time when England win the first test against Australia. The Australian press will then probably condemn their players as "turkeys" - and we all know what happens to turkeys!

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • Bookseverywhere
    Options
    Yes, they have - on lots of occasions.

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • dreamdaisy