Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi coco

Just dont jump up and down like the little man in your post :lol:

No advice just wishing you luck.

Take care, will be in your pocket on 10th.

Juliepf x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Good luck. Don't be brave or embaressed to make the most of your condition. Love Sue
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hey Coco

Iris is the queen of this topic i think (no offence to any others with advice but Iris has it all copied out and ready to forward to anyone if requested).......
    Im no good at finding previous topics and bumping them up....Ask and she/others will oblige...

Buckets of luck for it though.....

Elainex
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Coco,

good luck with the Medical Assessment! I saved this info to share with anyone who's going through this process so I hope it's helpful for you. :wink:

ATOS Medical

I think there are things you can do beforehand to prpare and I have posted you a link to a directgov document which goes into a lot of detail about each aspect of the assessment. http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@disabled/documents/digitalasset/dg_177366.pdf

It is well worth a read and exactly mirrors the medical assessment form that the assessor completes during the assessment. I wish I had found this before I went to my medical! :roll:

Other things to remember:

1. The assessor will ask you how you travelled to get to the appointment. This information is used to form an opinion about your walking ability & the distance you are able to walk and whether you required assistance (aids & personal support)

2. The assessor observes you from the minute s/he comes out to meet you; how you get up from the waiting room chair , how you walk, whether you use a stick, whether you have a limp, how quickly you are able to walk.

3. In the assessor's room you will not automatically be given a chair with arms so if you need one... ask!... it will be noted in the assessment

4. If you need to get up regularly to move because you are uncomfortable/ pain/ stiff ...then say so and get up from the chair as often as need be!...how you get up from the chair is observed and this too will be noted in the assessment

5. Every question you are asked has a purpose... either to compare the answers with the information you wrote on the form.. or to assess you against one of the 'factors' on the assessor's screen. Take your time and answer as fully as possible.

6. Every movement you make is observed... even how you extract a piece of paper from your pocket/ handbag!

7. you will be asked to go through a series of movements ..raising arms, bending etc... do not do anything that you know will cause you pain or discomfort just because you've been asked to do it!.

8. You will be asked to lie up on a couch for more physical assessment of your legs & hip movement. If you find it difficult to get up onto the couch... ask for help... do not struggle and tell the assessor if any of the required movements is uncomfortable. It will be noted whether you managed this unassisted!

I think that 'we' have an inbuilt tendency to want to 'please'.... to our detriment in my opinion. So be prepared to say 'no, I'm sorry, I can't do that'.
    If you can, take someone in with you to the medical who can assist you and also be a witness to what was done (should that be necessary!).
    The assessor is looking for consistency between what you've said on the form (you sent in) and what you say during the medical, what s/he observes you doing, and what the physical examination shows.
    Each of the 'factors and functions' is part of a 'points awarded' system which determines whether you will continue to get ESA and at which level.

My assessor was very friendly and did her best to put me at ease. It didn't stop her making assumptions, misrepresenting facts and glaring errors.!!!

I hope all that I've written helps you prepare for your assessment Coco! It's only my experience and I'm sure others will add their advices too.

being well prepared is all you can do!

Iris xxxx
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    Thankyou so much for this iris

i will try and be as ready as possible, no doubt i will end up appealing as everyone seems to but im ready for a fight if needed. im just hoping for once that that day wont be one of my better days but sods law it proberbly will be.
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi Coco, I can sympathize with you on the ATOS medical, I have mine this afternoon! Im not looking forward to it at all. If it helps you any I have a thread on here where Ive asked the same questions and the suggestions made are excellent!

Good luck with your medical

Mark
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Coco,
    I just wanted to wish you luck for the 10th December. Sorry that you have to go through it though.
    Lv, Ix

Hi Mark, I hope it went well for you today.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Coco
    I will be in your pocket on the 10th, and I will have everything crossed for you.
    I do hope it all goes really well for you
    Good Luck
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara