New to this

Options
angelgirl7
angelgirl7 Member Posts: 118
edited 25. Nov 2010, 00:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I am Beckie, a 34 year old mum to two children (6 & 9) After 6 years of being a stay at home mum I am now a trainee Teaching Assistant studying for my diploma and volunteering at the local Primary School.

On Monday I was told that I have Osteoarthritis in my right hip. At the moment I am in shock and scared as I have no idea what to expect. I am now waiting to see the consultant.

My first response was "I haven't got time to have anything done" but a lot of people have been telling me that there are many things that can be done before surgery ........... i.e. medication and injections :?

Look forward to chatting more
Beckie X

Comments

• spacey
    spacey Member Posts: 126
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    welcome Beckie, i am also a mum of 2 and 34 years old. i have a different form of arthritis but look forward to chatting too.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Beckie,

it all comes as a big shock initially and that takes a bit of getting used to as well as having it. there are a load of things that can be done before surgery depending on at what stage your hip is at.

seeing a consultant for the first time can be frightening in the idea but hopefully they will be able to give you a better idea on what stage your at and how far its affected. mine goes on movement and pain. i am lucky i lost movement but the pain isn't too bad.

welcome to posting and the hip folk will be able to hep you a lot more when they come in. nice to meet you and sorry having to do one handed typing. Cris x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi Becky, you must make time to do what is right for you, there are so many different medications and things they can do/try for you, not saying they will work but you have to give them a go.

I had steroid injections in my knees on friday, have had a lot of problems in them for over twenty yrs, have osteo-a in them both, they now feel better than they have in donkeys years

Just need the spine and hands sorting now :lol:

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    hi becky

its all a bit overwhelming now but you will soon get a grip on it there is lots out there to try which may work for you. keep posting in here as there is a ton of lovely helpfull people in here who can offer advice and support. welcome to the group
  • angelgirl7
    angelgirl7 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for the lovely welcome. Its nice to know there is somewhere to come and you guys will understand. All I am getting from friends at the moment is "your too young to have arthritis" which doesn't help :roll:

Look forward to getting to know you all

Beckie X
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,945
    Options
    Hi Beckie
    i'm sorry you have oa i have it so i understand how you feel the ache wears you down and you feel worn out.
    take care and enjoy the forum its a lovely place
    also go to chit chat and have a drink in the cafe.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    I don't know how bad your pain is at the moment but I know it took almost 2 years to get to the stage where the painkillers didn't help and surgery was the only option.I managed quite well up to 3 months before the op.
    If you do need a new hip once it's done the difference is amazing.No more pain spasms or painkillers Best of Luck Kidda :):):):)
  • Africa
    Africa Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Absolutly - I get the same responce your......... too young, :shock: I'm also new to this condition and educating people seems to be HUGE, I used to be a nurse centuries ago so i'm personnaly not suprised but I thaught we had moved on in informing the general public obviously not :roll: ?
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Beckie

Sorry you have had to join us. Just wanted to say welcome and hope you get some good support from the Consultant and doc. Not sure if you have been recommended for physio or hydrotherapy for your hip but it did help me early on. Just thought I would mention it. Do ask any questions people will advise if they can or send a hug if they can't.
    take care
    Chris
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Becky
    Welcome to the forum, it's hard to understand the responses from friends, I'm 38 and have PA and it's the first thing they say when you tell them 'your too young'! I've learnt not to mention 'Arfur' and just say I have inflammatory joint disease, you'd be amazed at the difference in response, daft isn't it?! I wish you well and look forward to seeing you post Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X