is this normal do you think

Options
lavenderlady
lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
edited 30. Nov 2010, 11:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
since having my twr 3 weeks ago the wound is very very sore and infected its only the wound not the actual replacment which seems fine all my skin is peeling off am seeing the mainland DR every week or two to get it checked out is this normal do you think ?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 24. Nov 2010, 10:08
    Options
    I have no idea but by the sounds of it, possibly not (normal, that is). One would expect the wound to be sore, healing takes a while, but what makes you think it's infected? Have you seen your own GP? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    if you havent seen your dr id surgest you do, if it is infected then the sooner you get treatment the better

coco xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Michelle,

Best see the doc asap and phone the ortho's clinic for advice as it sounds as though you need treatment.

I had a wound infection at 4weeks post op and although I went to see the doc and had swabs taken the hospital still insisted on seeing me every second day, monitored it all very closely until it had been treated and healed. I had to have iodine dressings done every day and a course of antibiotics.

I know that there are practical difficulties distance / travel wise for you but at the very least the ortho needs to know what's happening and oversee what the docs do.

The orthos take any wound infection very seriously... so please phone and get this seen to Michelle.

Iris xxx

ps... let us know please how you get on?
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    My problem was I was allergic to the internal stitches.Once I'd seen The surgeon again he treated, washed it out and put me on a course of antibiotics.I had to go to the local clinic every day for dressings and a bit of drainage.Get it seen as quick as you can :!: :!:
  • lavenderlady
    Options
    have seen the consultant and had the stitches removed the blisters have all gone the skin on my hand has peeled off leaving nice clean skin BUT the wound which was not the operation cut but right next to it is still infected swabs taken showed this up, plus a piece of scab came off leaving a wonderful hole filled with yellow and red gunk ugh so went back to nurse at my DRs surgery and shes dressed it with a granular dressing as shes hoping the rest of the scab which resembles wood its so dry will become soft and come off with the dressing monday, leaving a hole in my hand the nurses are all looking forward to seeing this ( evil minds) so far its just been dry dressings but this one nurse said no try this , she said once the wound is open she will use silver to pack the hole out , ????? not had iodine used yet,
    the actual op has done well I have quite a bit of use from my wrist and will be surprised if I need physio but the nerves in my fingers are badly affected and tingle which is driving me nuts thanks for your thoughts am on anti biotics for 3 weeks as well,
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi lavenderlady,

what a time you're having. :shock: I'm glad you're on the antibiotics and attending the nurse for dressings, but it still sounds pretty awful. :roll: you're very brave to cope with this so well! and to be so matter -of-fact. :wink:

the nerve tingling in the fingers lasts for weeks... I had the same and the ortho said it's caused by trauma to the nerves due to the length of time the BP cuff has been on the arm stopping the blood supply.
    so hopefully it will resolve :!:

I'm interested to know how much movement you have in your operated wrist? sounds really good if you don't need any hand therapy.
    has anyone measured the degrees of flexion/ extension etc? the surgeon had set a goal of 30 degrees (flex/ext) and full rotation (pronation/ supination) by 3mths for me... so I'm fascinated to hear what you've been told to expect. (sorry if I'm being nosey. :oops: )

hope all goes well with the healing process in your hand and that you'll be happy with the outcome. :D

Iris xxxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi lavenderlady
    I had the silver dressing on an infected ankle last year, the results were amazing, I do wish you well, and hope that the infection clears very soon.
    Please keep us updated.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lavenderlady
    Options
    hi Iris am so glad you knew why the tingling occurs was worried it was a permanant thing , drives me nuts though also get a cold feeling in my fingers but time will heal I guess, the dexteraty in my wrist is pretty much as it was before the op which was of course limited to some degree by the arther and bone deformaties but the measurments he took before the op have not been checked yet, but on whe whole I am pleasently surprised with results, once the wound has healed should be even better as plasters and dressings also hinder movement, but best of all the pain is gone which was the main reason I had the op, had granular dressing off yesterday OMG was it disgusting the hard scab had dissolved into this mushy gunk but once she cleaned it up and removed necrosing tissue with tweezers with a smile of contentment while she did it, it looked so much better, now got silver dressings on and go back wednesday for more checks and dressing changed
  • lavenderlady
    Options
    Barbara thanks for letting me know the silver dressings work am now hoping the wound will be healed by the 9th when I go back to hospital for the check up hopefully for the last time , the granular dressing worked magic and even removing the dead skin and soften scabs didnt hurt, had to rush back to Drs yesterday thought my stomach ulcer was back with a vengence but luckly the severe pain was caused by an inflamed osofagus Dr said probably caused by the stress of the op on the body and stress in general phew !!
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Hi Lavenderlady,

Sorry to hear you have had a rough time, it looks like you are on the way to recovery with your hand . hope you feel better soon (((hugs)))

Rose x
  • dorcas
    Options
    So very glad to hear that the granular dressings worked and the wound area is now clean of 'debris'. :D

Once the silver dressings do their stuff you'll be able to see and appreciate the surgeon's handiwork. :wink: how lucky we are to live in an age where these ops are possible. :D

They'll maybe do the measurements again when you see the surgeon on the 9th... but if you're anything like me.. the absence of pain and having some movement is enough of a gift in itself. :!:

I saw my hand surgeon today for my 6mths check and he chatted about the replacement itself... said it was a 'Universal 2' prosthesis which supposedly is as advanced as you can get and has a good outcome in terms of being durable.Nice to know that!

Hope you go from strength to strength lavenderlady...enjoy your new wrist!

Iris xxx