New Diagnosis

Options
welshgirl21
welshgirl21 Member Posts: 6
edited 25. Nov 2010, 12:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
My boyfriend is 28 and has just been diagnosed with Gout. He has had two attacks in the space of a month and he does have frequent attacks throughout the year.

From what I can read online diet seems to be a good place to start to limit the attacks - is this correct?

He has been given painkillers to help this attack and then he has to go back to his GP for a blood test to confirm it.

I have read about foods that are high in purines and on Saturday he ate muscles and drank beer so I am wondering if that contributed to this attack.

I'm new to this and am really looking for any ways I can help him. He is overweight but the attacks keep him out of the gym and seem to flare up after exercise, is this a link?

I've been on the arthritis care website and arthritis Uk and am just looking for any other helpful information.

Thanks all
Sarah

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi welshgirl21, welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear about your poor lad, my other half gets the occasional attacks of gout, usually in his right big toe. They are caused by a build-up of uric acid crystals in the joint, and it is remarkably painful. His GP has given him diclofenic tablets, this is an anti-inflammatory med and it helps to lessen the swelling and inflammation. Gout is erroneously linked to alcohol - if your body can process the uric acid effectively it isn't a problem, if it can't it is. Because Mr DD's attacks are infrequent we haven't done much research on diet - he has cut back on beer etc but only because he wanted to, not because it was a factor. You mention that your boy has trouble after exercise: that sounds more like an inflammatory arthritic thing to me - BUT I AM NOT A DOC. Mr DD runs and swims, and hasn't had a gout attack for over two years - your boy's seem much more frequent. I think further investigation could be done, there are some forms of rheumatoid arthritis that show on a blood test, as well as types that don't! I was initially diagnosed with an inflammatory arthritis as I had very high levels of ESR and CRP (inflammatory markers in my blood) but I have never had a positive RF (rhematoid factor). One can have a sero-negative form of arthritis - yes, it is a muddle and a minefield out there, but the frequency of the attacks does sound more like an arthritic thing to me. What are his blood tests for, adn has he ever had an Xray of the affected joint? I apologise for adding to your confusion, but something here doesn't add up to my way of thinking. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sarah

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that your bf has been diagnosed with gout. He is a lucky fella to have you who wants to find out about it and help him as much as you are able. :)

I would suggest that you give the helpline a call, on 0808 800 4050. I know they have leaflets they are able to send you because someone else on the forum did just that and was most pleased with the information received.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Hi , Sarah , welcome to the forum . Afraid I know very little about gout but can tell you that my RA is definitely affected by what I eat ; I avoid dairy , red meat , citrus , potatoes and alcohol . No idea if that would help your other half with his ailments as we're all different and each illness is different too , but think you're heading in the right direction by considering diet changes , it's all trial and error really , removing things from the diet for a week or so then reintroducing some items to see if there is a change . He is lucky that you are so supportive and I wish you both luck in dealing with this together . Jilly
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Sarah,

a welcome fro me as well they are good lot here.

i don't know much about gout i am afraid but do know wonkylegs did a link and had some good answers from the helplines on their forum a while back...... might be worth looking? i will try and find it for you or get hold of wonky as she sadly does know a bit about it.

tis her birthday mind so she may not be in today.

i wish i could be more helpful but nice to meet you both and hope it gets easier for you. take care Cris x
  • welshgirl21
    welshgirl21 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks everyone, his blood tests are to test for Gout to have it as a confirmed diagnosis apparantley (that's what the hospital said last night), but the information on it possibly being an imflammatory arthritis due to the link to exercise is interesting and I'll mention it to him to talk to his GP about.

It's weird because it has flared up after a gym workout but he's had two attacks this month and hasn't been to the gym for nearly 2 months due a severe chest infection.

I've printed some information on diet and I'll help him to eliminate certain things over the next few weeks then slowly introduce them again. He drinks very very occasionally, but almost not at all, he's not fussed about drinking at all, but he did have a few beers Saturday just gone along with muscles which I've read are high in Purines.

I'll try the helpline too and see if they can send some information.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi welshgirl21

Welcome to the forum.
    I don't know anything about gout but seems like the other people on here have given you some good advice. (I have learnt something today).

I hope your boyfriend gets some meds soon to help relieve his pain

Take care
    juliepf x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Sarah,

the helplines are really good... you could use the number at the top and ring them. they are so helpful and they know their stuff as well. hope you can get some better info and i will go see if it can find that link for you. Cris x
  • jenniet
    jenniet Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi Sarah.

My son started suffering from gout when he was about 20, at first they just treated him whenever he had an attack. They then put him on allopurinol and even though he has to take it regularly it does work - unless you forget to take it! He tried diet changes etc. but it didn't seem to make any difference. Your boyfriend needs lots of TLC, I understand it it is really painful. Apart from taking the drugs life can continue as usual, drinking, rugby etc. Gout is an inflammatory condition, it's a shame to get it so young but it can be treated. Best of luck!

Jenniet