Should I go?

cebeem
cebeem Bots Posts: 472
The cold weather is on its way!...and to be honest its the hot weather that irritates my most damaged joints....i.e. the hands,.... although shoulders and knees give me problems if I don't look after them and pace myself in any weather...and we all know the fatigue side of the beast (arthritis).

I work in a school....tiny furniture, tiny children al non conducive to my condition.( re:- bending stooping leaning over etc.)
However
Even though I went to camp earlier in October...I knew I could cope with the expectations on that visit...and did it willingly, although it did tire me out for several days.

Next week we have a farm visit, (snow and cold weather expected) It inolves a 2 mile walk & a ride on a tractor sitting on damp bail of hay... standing around the playground bit for about 45 mins, changing childrens shoes 4 times, carrying 6 lots of packed lunch and 6 lots of shoes!
Stand up lunch (or sit on the damp bails again).

1 teacher suggested I stayed back at school and got on with other things.... the more senior teacher completely sulked and asked " cant you just wear Uggs"?

Well are uggs (as much as I love them) the answer? If only they were.

So I am dealing with someone totally ignorant to my situation (although she has been given leaflets to read).. and.who is aware that I am down for surgery in February!...

I don't complain at work, and rarely have time off.

I would rather struggle in...I don't wear my heart on my sleeve ever!

The fittest people are dreading it!

Should I go?

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Cbeam,
    My response is an emphatic NO, you won't get any help and you probably will upset 'Arfur'. You will always find some unsympathetic people (senior teacher) who make snide comments rather than read the leaflets and empathise with a very painful chronic condition. I do understand the predicament, I'm a Reg Childminder and with little people from 7.30 - 6pm 3 days a week. Love the job, but after seeing my consultant yesterday ( I have PA) it's not looking good for continuing. I'm thinking long and hard about whats best for my body and condition, probably for the first time, I've always relied upon my ability to come back after a flare and throw myself into hard, physical work - not anymore. So my reply to you would be Please put yourself first, no one else will. Thinking of you and hope I've made sense and not rambled in my painkilling haze! All the best Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • Bookseverywhere
    Bookseverywhere Member Posts: 196
    A lot may depend on how you feel on the day. It does sound like the senior teacher is not at all sympathetic with your condition and that s/he has little knowledge of Arthur.

What strikes me is that you need to ensure that by not going you don't put yourself at any disadvantage regarding your job. Is the unsympathetic teacher your boss? Is s/he aware of the DDA? Are you in a Union?

Quite clearly, given your medical condition, you should not be expected to go. If the unsympathetic teacher makes a fuss, invoke DDA.

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    An emphatic NO. Even if you are having a good day that amount of effort/discomfort will put paid to that immediately, leaving you in a bit of a hole for some time after. NO. NO. And thrice, NO. As for the tw*t who suggested Uggs, ram one down over her head. And let all her tyres down. Stupid bovine.

Seriously cebeem, stay behind and do admin. The environment will be gentler, you can work at your own pace, get some serious sorting done - from what I remember there is always stuff to be sorted! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cebeem
    Thank you Poppy, Kevin and DD (you do cheer me up!)
    We have had a training day today to re do our Mission Statement. It focussed on our caring community!!!!!. I used every opportunity to get my point in, and think the lady is having a bit of a change of heart :)
    .... Don't hold your breath!!!
    After giving me a brief for next weeks lessons the 'farm trip' looks up for some reconsideration because parents are worried about the children being out for so long in the extreme cold..... so if several children back out I can stay back at school with them!....not a complete back down.

Kevin I am always the first to suggest Unions etc when someone is being given a rough time, feels a bit different when it happens to yourself! ..plus I know she would turn around and say ...I was only joking!(she wasn.t) and it gets difficult to prove otherwise.

So I pray for enough snow that parents may withdraw some of the children...if not she may be surprised when I say No and quote our brand new Mission Statement! :)
    Thanks again all of you

• Bookseverywhere
    Bookseverywhere Member Posts: 196
    Cebeem, I suppose I am something of a poacher turned gamekeeper. For many years I was not only a union member but a shop steward at various workplaces, and in two branches a branch official.

And now I am an employer!

Hope it all goes well.

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • cebeem
    I have a good teacher in that department Kevin as my uncle was area convener for many years in the south west.
    Congratulations on your success ...and doing something you are passionate about must be so rewarding..
    p.s. Ordered a book chair!
    Thank you again :) will let you know the outcomes.
  • cebeem
    We didn't go!!!! Only because the coach company refused to drive us in the dreadful weather!

School were still willing to risk our lives................Because they had paid for the trip...........!!!We (the school) are situatated in a very privilidged area!!!!!!!!

We are now booked in for the 14th!!!!! more snow that day please for our area..Coach driver for King!
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    I wouldnt go.