5wks post THR op

dexonsbabe
dexonsbabe Member Posts: 5
edited 26. Nov 2010, 05:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning every one hope you are all coping with this cold weather. Looking for a bit of advise please. I had left hip replacement 5 wks ago due to severe arthritis (also have it mild in right hip and back). Well until now have been progressing quite well, physio 2wks ago was pleased even tho I was having some problems with 1 of the exercise (laying on back and lifting leg up). Was sent away with more exercises and 2 walking sticks instead of crutches and told when I feel capable I could go onto 1 stick and then none. Within a few days was walking about with just 1 stick and felt great tried walking unaided and although no pain was wobbling from side to side like a duck so went back to stick. Now this last week I am really struggling although the pain isn't excruciating my leg from knee up hurts when weight bearing. Is it just the extra work the muscle is having to do or could I have pulled something, should I get it checked out or wait till next wk for next physio appt any advise please.

Sorry for the long message.

Lori

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lori and nice to meet you
    Gosh I would think it is really early days yet, if I was you I would still try and use one stick to give everything time to heal, and build muscle.
    I am still waiting for my THR so not very much advise to give, but I am sure others will be on very soon.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am glad to hear that things were going well but don't forget that you have had major - MAJOR - surgery and that these things take a deal of time fom which to recover. You should be using at least one stick for a while longer yet, your poor bones and muscles will have been hacked and carved about with the fitting of the new joint, there will be a fair bit of scarring both internal and external, and these things take a while to heal. The op was just five weeks ago, yes? I am sure you just want to get on with life again but don't push yourself too hard - you run the risk of undoing all the surgeon's good work and that would not be a good thing. Do the exercises but not to excess, walk with support, and you will get there in the end! I suspect things are twinging because you have overdone things so perhaps rest as much as you can today and tomorrow, to give your poor new hip a break, then gently resume the exercises. That is what I would do, but I am not you and I don't know how rough it is feeling. If you have any doubts then yes, perhaps you should contact someone and talk it over with them. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben