Getting comfortable in bed

angelgirl7
angelgirl7 Member Posts: 118
edited 27. Nov 2010, 19:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
The last few nights have been awful, I just can't get comfortable in bed, my hip has been really sore and painful. I get right, and then turn over :cry:
Any ideas????

Beckie X

Comments

• psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi becky - can you put a cusion under your legs to help :?:

hugs to help((((((((((((()))))))))))))))

louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi and a hello form me. :D

Pain at night and trying to get comfortable when in bed is so difficult. :roll:

I don't have hip pain but my knees and neck more often than not disturb my sleep... especially when trying to turn. :roll:

Positioning pillows can be helpful and having night meds that take the edge off the pain helps too. Has your doc prescribed you anything for night pain? if not perhaps you could ask about it at your next appointment. :wink:

I'm sure that you'll get replies from other hip people and better advice too. :!:

take care.. and I do hope you get some relief..

Iris xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Beckie.. I use two large bolsters each night, I get a lot of knee and back pain that also spreads to the hip, not sure if old arthur isn't settling himself into that joint too...
    One I use for my head/neck etc and the other I lay paralel to myself and 'drape' myself over it. It really helps, you should have a pillow between your knees at least, it does a lot of good when trying to settle on a night.. Hope it works for you if you try it too...

Tony :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • whalewatcher
    whalewatcher Member Posts: 90
    Hi Beckie
    Try sleeping on a duvet. It gives a nice soft cushion for sore joints & you can still move around. It can be a bit hot but, hey, in this weather .........
    Val
  • angelgirl7
    angelgirl7 Member Posts: 118
    Thank you all. I will try the pillows and give the duvet a go. This cold weather is playing havoc and I am fed up with the constant ache night and day :x The GP just said try nurofen until I see the consultant

Beckie X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Trying to settle with a sore hip must be a nightmare. I think the heat underneath from a duvet and extra pillows to support other joints is probably the best answer. I sleep with a pillow lying from my ankle to my groin, but my hips are so far unaffected by my PA - it's my toes, ankles and knees that twinge! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Beckie

Tis no fun eh! :( I'm with the extra pillow brigade here. I find tho' the hip is the problem it's the knees that ache at night probably from walking badly through the day. Since I have the luxury of a bed to myself I often pull a bit of the duvet between me knees aswell. Hope you do find a way to get comfy.
    take care
    Chris
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    chris7? Try a pillow or cushion - honestly the difference it makes is wonderful. I hope the cold is clearing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 27. Nov 2010, 17:26
    Hi. Yes I use a thick duvet underneath.....it works well for me

Good Luck

Hileena
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    The bolsters that I bought are a Godsend, you should definately invest.. :D:D

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    HI Angelgirl, I'd echo the other folks - sleep on top of a duvet/memory foam mattress or topper, use pillows between the legs - I found a body pillow the sort used by pregnant women worked best or you can get one of those smaller knee pillows that you strap to one leg and so they stay in place if you wriggle/turn over. A bath before bed to help you relax if poss and take last meds an hour or so before bedtime so that they are working before you get into bed. I hope you have a better night's sleep tonight.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.