Funny Ha Ha

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 28. Nov 2010, 13:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone

Last week or so ive got stiffer, sorer and getting out of chair/settee is becoming a hardy task....Of course im off to Wrightington on 6th December to see if they are going to offer me surgery for my dicky knee...
My dad who has had a TKR last summer seems to think its funny and to begin with it was but now this joke is wearing a bit think...He says once the consultant sees me he will get me in before christmas for sure....He reckons im severe...I dont know if im that bad but what he is implying is that i should get taken asap...I have had episodes where putting knee up to elevate it has caused me to cry out as knee locks straight and wont bend for about 10 mins..Also when i get up i wobble a bit and make a daft stagger whilst trying to get balance..
Of course im not taking it all seriously but makes me wonder a bit...I personally dont reckon i will (if they decide to operate) do it till about February 2011....

Elainex

PS - Think it came back and bit him on the bum...He says he twisted his new knee in bed last night..HA!

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

Is the pain due to inflammation? If so it might not need surgery. I had the knees from hell, couldn't get out of chairs, nor straighten them which is awful at night. Mine are fine now (pain is in hips and ankle). Or Have you got OA in which case they will probably need sutgery at some point?

Elizabeth,
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Ive had osteochondritis dissecans since age of 18-19..Had two removals of loose bodies about size of 2p and 10p and five arthroscopies, last one which hasnt helped me one bit was in March 2010...I got told when first diagnosed would need new knee at age of 40, am now 42 but they see me as too young!!!

Elainex
    tkachev wrote:
    Hi Elaine,

Is the pain due to inflammation? If so it might not need surgery. I had the knees from hell, couldn't get out of chairs, nor straighten them which is awful at night. Mine are fine now (pain is in hips and ankle). Or Have you got OA in which case they will probably need sutgery at some point?

Elizabeth,
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Are you on anti inflammatories, they might be worth a go till you have the op, they worked really well for me, till they took them off me :roll:
    Hope it eases very soon.
    Barbara x
    PS did you read the post in Wrightington about not having to pay extra parking if your clinic is running late.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Elaine :D

I'ts definitely not funny having painful knees :shock: and I can empathise with the problem of getting in/ out of chairs. :roll:

You're dad sounds as though he's recovered well from his op which is good..... not sure about the 'advice' he's giving you though. :!:

Hope the consultation on the 6th goes well and that you are offered surgical options that will remove your pain and give you better mobility. :wink: I know sol will be going with you (and us lot too of course :mrgreen: )... but is your dad also going with you?

I also wondered if you'd had an OT assessment ? (very much on my mind since my home visit yesterday) as they can provide you with aids etc that might make things a bit easier for you.

.... or you could of course call in Wallace & Grommit. :lol::lol: touché ma cherie!! :mrgreen:

Iris xxxx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

Ive tried anti inflammatories in the past and theyve never worked for me...Been on diclfenic and arthrotex both never made a difference and arthrotex made me feel sick, even whilst swimming.....
    I guess i just need to wait for judegment day....

Elainex

PS ... Me n dad figured out the first visit that if we just pay the minimum (£1.00) that we are okay for parking at Wrightington..Ta though...
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    Are you on anti inflammatories, they might be worth a go till you have the op, they worked really well for me, till they took them off me :roll:
    Hope it eases very soon.
    Barbara x
    PS did you read the post in Wrightington about not having to pay extra parking if your clinic is running late.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Iris

Sometimes he laughs, other times he worries that I'll fall into his chair and on him!!! He says i am worse than he was pre TKR...
    Im off to the consultation with only Sol for company as dad's away on a weekend break and will be in Edinburgh...I just pray the snow clears and there's no problems on motorway by then...

I kinda have mixed feelings about 6th..He may have decided by then im still too young to treat or he may say yes but lose weight which ive never been great at doing despite best of efforts....I do want surgery but i dont, im frightened i guess of the unknown, but hoping im human there....

I havent had an OT visit yet, i dont think im that bad, i dont know and when its not my own house i dont know how i would approach it...Athough i could live very happily in a Wallce n Grommit house...wonder if Nick Park might build me one???

Elainex
  • dorcas
    Options

I think it's 'normal' to have mixed feelings about having an op.... we don't ever 'want' them, but sometimes we definitely 'need' them. :wink:
    and being frightened of the op is definitely a 'human trait'. I know before ops I've had that it suddenly feels to me that the problem has gotten better so maybe I don't need that op after all. :shock: ...a bit like a toothache that disappears the minute you step in the dentist's surgery!

I don't know about being 'too young' for a knee op... but you have said before that you thought that shouldn't be a factor that stops you having treatment.. so be prepared to stand your ground if that argument comes up. :!:

An OT can assess you whether it's your parents house or not so it might be worth a call to them? Here you can self refer to the community OTs, they're attached to social services , but it may be different where you are. look them up in the phone book?

You'll likely find that if you go on the list for surgery that the hospital OT will become involved... but don't take it for granted.

Oh and btw.... Nick Park can't build you a house just now... he's too busy north of the border on a special project. :mrgreen:

Iris xxx

ps... will be with you and sol on the 6th!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Iris

I just know what ive been like just getting loose bodies out in past and theyre minor ops...I cry from the minute i walk into the hospital till they put me under and im not in any way prepared for whatever pain i will experience post op if i get that option....
    I know ive fought hard this year to be taken seriously regarding my age arguments and am prepared t again but inside i guess im quivering like mad!!!

I think after my operation an OT visit may well be in order, i know i can only manage in my own ways for so long and a new knee, partial or not is a substitute for the real joint as im reminded so often by dad....I really wish i hadnt seen him after his op, why couldnt i have been abroad or something, it was such a shock....

Im a grump today sorry pain has been relentless....

Keep warm n happy...

Elainex

ps... will be with you and sol on the 6th![/quote]
  • dorcas
    Options

Hey you're not being grumpy... just expressing the anxiety we all have at the prospect of an op. :wink:

It's only natural that you are now thinking about what it might mean to you to have this kind of op.. but you are not your dad! for one thing you're a lot younger and fitter. :!: and you will be given plenty pain relief if you need it :D

...and it's all right to quiver too..
    but don't worry..we'll be with you holding you so tight that the consultant won't even notice if you tremble a little. :wink:
    I'm sure someone on the forum has an invisibility cloak we could borrow. :lol:

chin up and here's hoping all goes well on the 6th!

Iris xxxx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

I suppose the nearer it comes nearer consultation day the more my mind goes into overdrive...Like i said sometimes dad's jokes arent always funny, he tells me he has two falsies (hip n knee) and i tell him i aint had the op yet...He did s tupid thing other day and did a John Cleese/Hitler style walk and did himself an injury..Ha!!!!

I think ive said before about dad that he sickens me sometimes, he isnt on any regular medication at all despite being 79, no blood pressure at all and he is a good weight - 12.5 stone so is he fitter than me....I am overweight and have auto immune disease, ibs and this......

I just dont know what to expect for 6th, i thought the other surgeon at one point synpathised with my condition when i saw his colleagues but he did a rather sharp u turn.....

I am grateful for all pocket dwellers and may just slip the little fella in my bag to listen in too for good luck..

Elainex
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Elaine,
    Your appointment is not far off now and expect that it is becoming more to the fore every day. It is very natural that you are apprehensive. Don’t forget it is up to you to decide which way you want to proceed.
    So sorry that you have to make the trip on your own. As you say next year could be the turning point for you. I do hope so.
    Lv, Ix
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    HI I

Yeah I know its only nautral...I mean i probably seem bad to dad but compared to lots of folk on here im probably quite well off healthwise...Who can tell what these consultants are going to say, its a lottery in some respects....
    Im not bothered about going to appointment on my own, but wish we didnt have this bad weather looming over us and will worry about slipping on icy road...
    I'll just have to be patient i suppose and hope for best outcome possible....

Elainex
    ironic wrote:
    Hi Elaine,
    Your appointment is not far off now and expect that it is becoming more to the fore every day. It is very natural that you are apprehensive. Don’t forget it is up to you to decide which way you want to proceed.
    So sorry that you have to make the trip on your own. As you say next year could be the turning point for you. I do hope so.
    Lv, Ix