fatigue

nanasue
nanasue Member Posts: 465
edited 7. Dec 2010, 16:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all
Hope you're keeping warm and aren't snowed in. I am wondering if any of you have tips on dealing with the fatigue that comes with this b****y illness. I've not really had too much of a problem before but just lately it's been quite bad and I wanted to get on top of it if possible, it's never good but this time of year you need your energy to enjoy being with family.

Sue x

Comments

• chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sue

Think we all feel like that especially at this time of year with so little daylight, snow and cold weather. You do have my sympathy and wish I could send some tips, I just want to hibernate through the winter. If you are getting some decentish sleep at night? and time to rest in the day if you need too I regret the old pace yourself adage is the only thing that springs to mind which is so annoying but sadly true!!
    Hope others can advise, it will help us all.
    take care
    Chris
  • angilee
    angilee Member Posts: 102
    Hi Sue,

I just wanted to say how I sympathise with you,I am drained most of the time and struggling to keep a full time job. I have the odd day when I actually feel alive/awake,but most of the time tiredness is my close friend.

I hope you manage to find some good days too.
    Angilee
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    hi sue

hope you feel more awake today.

I too have days when i can not in the life of me wake up and end up washing face in cold watr a number of times in the day.

Sometimes though I have to eventually give in and make murder she wrote the time to do it :lol: Its like an afternoon story. :D for grownups

take care
    keep warm
    juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Rest, rest and more rest. I sleep during the day if necessary and point out to the nay-sayers that I do so because I HAVE to, not because I choose to. It is a matter of of pacing oneself as much as one can, and doing what is best for you. Continual tiredness is a problem due to living with pain and discomfort on a 24/7 basis, and the nature of the disease itself - the tiredness for me is worse when I flare and I have learned that there is nothing to be gained in fighting it. It is a pain (literally), it is a nuisance, but over time one learns one's limits and one learns to adjust. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Elna advised me to take naps - set the alarm if you have to but take naps.

I do when things are bad and honestly it does help a bit.

Hope you wake up soon

Love

toni xx f055.gif
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    I just sleep when I need to as luckily (or unluckily) I had to give up work until I get a handle on this illness.
    It can make you feel useless though so I always agree with myself 1 or 2 tasks I will complete each day. It kind of gives me a structure to my day around all my sleeping and makes me think that I am achieving something.
    Don't beat yourself up for sleeping - if you need to you need to!

Keep smiling, Carol
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Some great suggestions here on how to manage fatigue. :D It's such a big problem isn't it Sue?
    I hate getting up most mornings feeling as tired as when I went to bed :roll:
    so I'm definitely going to try out some of the ideas here :wink:

Iris xx

ps.. wake me up please when 'strictly' comes on. :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh del, that made me smile! Thank you. DD
  • Ann4
    Ann4 Member Posts: 18
    Is feeling tired a part of the problem, I'm new to all this but at times I to feel tired never thought it was due to my knees ??
    Ann4
  • dreamdaisy
    Yup, ann4, continual tiredness of varying levels is vey much part-and-parcel of this disease. For OAers the continual, grinding pain is wearisome and I believe they can also 'flare', ie symptoms worsen for no specific reason. For RAers and PAers like me, yes we are generally fighting the tiredness due to pain, and possibly the side effects of the meds we take, but when we flare our bodies actually 'attack' our joints etc, thanks to our over-active immune systems, and this can severely worsen the tiredness and make us feel very ill but in an unspecified way - well, that's how it gets me anyway. DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    yes it is bad and you do not realise that it part of the arthritis and it is a worry you feel as if there something very wrong all sorts of things go through your mind i work afternoons only 4 hours but some times need to nap before go in set alarm on phone it the only way to cope just work out what works for you we all different val
    val
  • Damien_woody
    Damien_woody Member Posts: 1
    We only have live with the pain while the best is to visit a doctor and we prescribe a good medicine that does not have side effects. A few years ago take hydrocodone only by a short period because i report by [TEXT DELETED] that cause liver damage and transtornos anxiety when mixed with alcohol or other medication. So i recommend you do not use medicines without a prescription. :lol:

Text has been deleted because it contravened the Forums Terms & Conditions as it includes commercial advertising. The forum is not a shop so please do not advertise or promote products and services on the forum in any way.

Moderator EH

Moderators are not obliged to answer any reply to this message or enter into discusion about the content of the message
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Well, the idea is to only do as much as you can at any given time, if you can walk for ten mins, then walk for five and you'll get back in the other five. If you can do 20mins of ironing, tough, tell OH it broke! hahaha, just do what you can without overtaxing yourself, learn to say 'no'. There is only one person who will feel the strain, you! The Americans have a horrid saying, 'cut yourself some slack', or 'don't beat yourself up', you get the picture?
    x:)) Its a xmas grin, honest!
  • Ann4
    Ann4 Member Posts: 18
    Hi all.
    Its good you giving me all these tips something to go on now...just have to wait until all this snow goes then I'm going out to see how far I can walk, I'm used to walking about 10/15 miles before this little lot came over night, so still coming to terms with this problem and not being able to walk far.
    Maybe I will hear more from you all with some more tips will be nice....thank you very much.
    Ann4