lesson over Mike R

Options
mike77
mike77 Member Posts: 879
edited 3. Dec 2010, 07:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
:D:D:D:D:D:D Hi all , Well thats the first lesson over and done with , the instructor called and drove me to a car park, were we swaped over and it was my turn to drive , he asked me to practise my steering so we drove around the car park , left then right ( god my arm was sore , but never said anything ) then he asked if we could hit the main road ( now driving at night , I wasnt to keen but he said I will be ok , so we changed over and he drove me up to the top road ( its like a country lane ) we changed agin and I was driving with the rest of the traffic , it seemed ok until we went down this smaller country lane , it was so dark ( I dont like driving at night ) we went don another road that led to a level crossing ( thank god no trains were coming ) along main road into carrickfergus ( it was a bit scary as I kept drifting towards the kerb ( holding the steering wheel with one arm is going to take me time to master) we got home and he said "that steering wheel ball is causing you problems , your arm must be sore for you kept letting it fall down and that caused you to drift towards the kerb , but we will get there see you on Friday at 2.15pm ( great it will be light then.

I will be sitting in my car getting used to that wheel with one arm seeing how long I can hold it up.

Mike R & Hazel & Mike JR
Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sounds like you enjoyed it Mike, keep it up mate...
    You will be a master in no time!!!

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Well done, Mike :!: :!: :D I'm very impressed that you drove in the dark on your first lesson :!: :D If it had been me, I would have ended up in a ditch. When I was learning to drive, I nearly did end up in a ditch on several occasions, and that was using both hands and in daylight :!: :shock: You did very well to stay calm driving down a country lane in the dark.

Joan :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    well done :D:D

glad the lesson went well and i am sure you will soon get used to it.

driving at night can be a bit daunting especially on a first lesson.

glad the next one will be i daylight for you.

happy motoring

juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good for you Mike! That's a good start there, you did very well by the sound of things. You have quite a large car, yes? Learning to control the weight of it will take some practice - would your brother take you out for a few runs in the future? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Well done Mike...It is know mean feat driving in the dark when you are learning.
    You keep up the good work
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Well done Mike you did very well. It will take a time to get used to but soon it will seem easy. Get used to the car first then the traffic.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Well done Mike.
    you will get there it must have been lovely driving your own car.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Hi mike don't know your history,but so happy for you be driving your own car.Independance is wonderfull,enjoy and good luck :) Mirabella
  • mike77
    Options
    great the main roads here are clear, but my cul-de-sac still has ice and as cindy says it is like glass , was out in car sitting on the driveway , so I thought to reverse down the driveway , when I reached the end , I would drive back up, I did this with great ease , so I did it a number of times , it is getting me used to the steering wheel , I cant wait until Friday and the big test for the steering wheel ball , and the handbrake is a bit tough for me to get down , but again getting there. mike JR & Hazel were so pleased with my driving , it would be a different tale if it was mannuly and I had to use gears but Autoamatic is brill I just relax and steer the push and pull are so easy to use )( except for Gillian on x factor) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mike R & Hazel & Mike R
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Mike...I just love your enthusiasm..if anyone can do you will.
    Just enjoy and dont be in a rush,
    Good Luck with everything, Mike Jr and Hazel will be so proud.
    Love to you all
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    H Mike

Well done. At our disabled centre we used to have a few people learning to drive with the ball on he steering wheel. They all said it was tiring to driving like that. In the end they got used do it, you will too.

Trish xx
  • mike77
    Options
    Hi All well I reversed out of my driveway ( there is no snow or ice on the roads in the cul-de sac ,) turned the car so that I can reverse back up , so that the frnt of the car is facing down .

done this with out bumping into anything , the only thing that annoys me is the steering wheel ball it ends up tiring my arm , as I am holding it up , so tried to hold the steering wheel and slide my hand up to the steering wheel ball when I need to turn the wheel. now that seems better the real test will be tomorrow. if I cant the instructor said to call the adaption people and see if they can lower it down a bit ( but I see there is a fee if its £100.00 they can forget it I will just get used to it) or mobility can help with the cost.

Mike R & Hazel & Mike JR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    £100 just top adjust the thing? I'd do it for you if I could mate
    Sounds like you're really getting to enjoy having the car now.
    I've missed being able to drive for the last few days due to the heavy snow here..

Keep it up, and glad you dint hit anything! LOL

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think you are due some snow today Mike so if you go out remember this: my dad used to tell me if you could hear the tyres all was OK, if it went quiet then be very alert! Do everything slowly, no sudden movements of any sort, and all should be well. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Good luck Mike Good luck :D

You are pretty determined to get this done quickly aren't you?

Hope the weather is ok and all goes well

LOve

toni xx