had enough of my employer

Options
bumache
bumache Member Posts: 22
Hi everyone. New to this site so please be gentle with me!! I'm wondering if anyone would be able to guide me in the right direction for my query??
I am an (agency) split shift home carer for the elderly, with OA to neck hips 1knee and ankles. Now the snow has come, I decided not to drive but to walk my morning round, which is about 4 mile round trip, with my (luvvly) hubby driving for me for 3 evenings this week, as these are alot further apart and shorter calls. Now I've overdone it with all the trudging on the slippery stuff, and have gone into flare up mode. My employer really isn't bothered about the staff ('we MUST make those calls, no excuses'), and while I understand they have a duty of care to clients, when I have struggled before, I requested a change in hours which was totally ignored. On holiday today + tomorrow, and am going on sick from Monday, as I resemble a cross between Max Wall and a snail!! Am a gnat's breath away from jacking it all in due to exhaustion and pain, tho I know I will cut my nose off and lose out if I dont give them proper notice.What I need to know is if I go on sick for say 2 weeks, could I give my notice in at the same time without being penalised financially?? I haven't got another job lined up, and you're all probably thinking I'm mad, but I have just totally lost interest. Hoping someone can give me some help and cheer me up a bit

Comments

• chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh my goodness!

This is not good. :cry: This bit can be a bit quiet at the weekend but really hope someone does call in to advise better than I can.
    It is all very noble to look after your clients in this terrible weather but YOUR employer does have a duty to you too!!. I can only suggest you ring CAB or the disability advisor at the job centre who will do all they can to help you keep in work and can advise your employer of any changes which would help you. I found both very helpful and supportive. A change of hours or different shifts seems reasonable to me. Hope you do get signed off for some breathing space but don't resign without taking advise please. Your employer needs to know you do have rights.
    Forgive me but the Max Wall reference made me laugh. :lol: I often do the same impression coming home from work which kinda gives my age away eh! Though I am only 50 it is not a good look crawling up the stairs on me hands and knees after a busy day at work. You do have my sincere sympathy.

Hang in there. I hope others will be along soon to offer support.
    Sending some warm hugs and hoping you are resting if you can today. ((( )))
    Chris
  • bumache
    Options
    Hi Chris7, and thanks for your reply. It made me think twice about jacking it in, and made me feel more positive about fighting back. Cheered me up to know someone else knows how I feel too!! Hope I get some more replies come Monday - I expect everyone's gone to the seaside.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hi & welcome to the forum

so sorry that things are so tough for you right now.

Chris has given you some great information, and to be honest the only thing I can add is to suggest you ring the Arthritis Care helplines during the week, and talk things through with them. THey all live with arthritis themselves, and have a wealth of information that they can give you.

hope that you can soon find a way through this, and yes your employer has a duty of care to you too!! don't let them get away with treating you badly!

good luck

WOnky
  • bumache
    Options
    hi everyone, hope you are all coping ok and keeping warm and cosy. I have an update for you all. I signed myself off sick on Monday and saw a very nice Doc on Wed. Very interested, even tho his face dropped a mile in shock when I 'Max Walled' into the room!! He has taken me off naproxen and put me on celebrex, signed me off as unfit for 2 weeks, and wrote me a letter for my boss to review my working hours and practices. When I rang my boss to tell her I wouldn't be in, she (unbelievably) said 'oh well thats chuffin marvellous isn't it'. Not even hope you feel better soon! x:evil Hubby (who tells it how it is ) then presented said documents to the boss (who denied all knowledge of my OA - even tho its on my application form), slapped them on the desk and said 'there, its in black and white - now sort it'. Apparently he left everyone in total silence due to their gaping mouths. Have also now got a walking stick from my lovely physio lady - shall be trimming it up just to make it look a little more trendy and seasonal. So that's where we are up to now, am feeling a little(happily) upset that (some) people ARE actually willing to help, cos I am the sort of person that struggles on, makes do and doesn't ask for help. I just thought I'd let you know. take care all
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Bumcake,
    Well done you! Loved the bit with hubby and the 'open mouths'! It's so great when you have an interested sympathetic dr isn't it? I'd be lost without my gp, Rheumy and nurse they're all fab. I work for myself and have recently cut down massively on the hours/days i do as my PA is annoyingly in continuous flare!! grrr!
    I'm so glad that things are on the right track for you. Keep in touch all the best Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi again

Was good to see your update and to know that you do seem to have found a doc who is being supportive and has given you some much needed breathing space from work. Would have loved to have seen your bosses face too when hubby gave them what for! Good for him. x:lol:
    You hang in there
    Chris