Hi, about to start MTX, diagnosis awaiting... But down to 3

Options
Firemanphil_39
Firemanphil_39 Member Posts: 66
edited 4. Jan 2011, 03:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I'm sure I'll be on here more in the future... I'm a 39 yo firefighter, 2young girls 5 and 3... Was previously training for an 'ironman' triathlon and looking forward to qualifying for great Britain next year....

8 months ago now I had mid foot pain, that led to me an air cast boot( my ankle swelled) then my knee swelled too... Seemed I and everyone else was just thinking 'overuse' spotting injury...

Eventually a sports injury consultant (dr Roger hawkes) spotted the 3joints, hot and swollen pattern.. So I paid to see dr tom price... Had some injections and more bloods. Anyway, still waiting for hla gene marker to come back , but I'm looking at reactive Arth, psoriatic arth, or A.S ...

Ho hum... Could be worse... Nice to get the condition diagnosed and I can get my head round it and adjust...

X

Starting MTX Monday.... Hopefully it's reactive A ( my sore back is post activity and upper back aroung my 'hinge point' and poetical strain as per an osteopath...

Any feed back welcome...

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Arthritis can be an aboslute **** to diagnose, there are so many different forms of it. What was injected into you, why, and did it help? You could be at the beginning of a rather long journey: I hope not, I hope you find answers and soon. I wish you well. DD (13 and 3/4 years into psoriatic arthritis) (I think I have the maths right!)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • williamlargs
    williamlargs Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Hello mate and welcome. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been on MTX since July with great results. I have had to give up 7'aside football but now swim 3 or 4 times a week and do a lot of walking.

It doesn't work for everyone but has a reasonable success rate so keep the chin up.

Regards
  • Firemanphil_39
    Options
    Cheers... I understand having to give up footy... Do you think I'll still be able to cycle (time trial ie. Giving it 100% for 10 or 25 miles) is it the impact on your body or the strain to your system?
    Been quite sedate over last 6 months... I've always sort of had a sore spot on my spine in the mid thoracics.. Recently getting back into swimming and activity the thoracics have been sore and stiff.. Last night Went to bed them feeling ok, but woke at 1am and 4 am with proper soreness/stiff thoracics... Ank spond ? :( was expecting to wake up this morning with sore back but didn't ( unlike recently last week post gym, swim etc.) can only think it might have been the diclofenac I took last night at about 9 pm...
    Worried to say the least... William, what's your employment?
    Cheers
    Got my works do tonight... Last 3 days of drinking...
  • williamlargs
    Options
    I work in an office so therefore not under too much strain physically. But I come from an agricultural background and worked on farms till I was 28. I'm 50 now.

Everyone of us is different and we all have varying degrees of pain and inflamation. I would reckon I am very much one of the lucky ones and would describe my RA as mild to moderate.

I was diagnosed 7 years ago and was prescribed a drug called sulphasalazine which more or less put the disease into remission. During these last 7 years I continued to play football and also completed the west highland way in 2006.

Its only in the last 9 months that it has flared again hence the reason I was put on to methotrexate. As I previously pointed out it has worked well and I now manage without my daily cocktail of doclofenic and paracetomol.

Others ain't so fortunate as you will no doubt here. But it aint all doom and gloom and my rheumy lets me have a drink as long as I don't go mad and my monthly blood tests are OK which they have been so far. Coming from a hard working and hard drinking background this was my biggest fear but I haven't had to make too many drastic changes.

Good luck mate and keep me informed of your progress. Send a pm if you like. I'm not on every day but will pick it up sometime.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    One can drink whilst on meth, but it's best to learn first how your body behaves/reacts to it. You will be monitored with blood tests - the frequency of these seems to vary quite widely, for years I was on fortnightly bloods but then my case is very different to yours. I am now on monthly (still tedious as **** tho) and cheerfully sink half a bottle of white every night. I NEED SOME COMPENSATION FOR THE RUBBISH I DEAL WITH ON A DAILY BASIS. Sorry, stopped shouting now.

Meth is processed by the liver, so for years the received thinking was that one could not add any extra strain to said organ by imbibing. In my meth record booklet tho, it does state that one can continue to drink as long as you remain comfortably within the recommended daily units level. Get to know your body's reaction to it all first, then perhaps you can rejoin your mates at the bar. I certainly hope so! DD
  • williamlargs
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    One can drink whilst on meth, but it's best to learn first how your body behaves/reacts to it. You will be monitored with blood tests - the frequency of these seems to vary quite widely, for years I was on fortnightly bloods but then my case is very different to yours. I am now on monthly (still tedious as **** tho) and cheerfully sink half a bottle of white every night. I NEED SOME COMPENSATION FOR THE RUBBISH I DEAL WITH ON A DAILY BASIS. Sorry, stopped shouting now.

Meth is processed by the liver, so for years the received thinking was that one could not add any extra strain to said organ by imbibing. In my meth record booklet tho, it does state that one can continue to drink as long as you remain comfortably within the recommended daily units level. Get to know your body's reaction to it all first, then perhaps you can rejoin your mates at the bar. I certainly hope so! DD

Good grief Mrs half a bottle of wine a day is well over your recommended daily units level!!!

Regards William Sober
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I know (smug smile) but it's over a goodly length of time (at least half an hour!) and with food (usually). Last test results had my figure at 8, which is fine. DD
  • williamlargs
    Options
    My last result was 9. Whats food?

Leaving the office now speak Monday

x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Firemanphil!

Despite what you might think reading the posts from DD and WilliamLargs, we aren't all a bunch of raging alcoholics (sour grapes from Tilly who can't drink at all, much as she'd like to!). :grin:

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope you get your diagnosis soon. And really good luck with yur MTX. What dose are you starting on?

Love Tilly x
  • jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Hi Phil,

I have PA, but i also have spondylitis (they call it psoriatic spondlyarthropathy or something equally long and laborious!) i can swim and cycle without any major implications, in fact my doctors most def encourage swimming as a low impact way to keep fit. I often get back pain in the wee hours and i tend to leave my tens machine on the affected area of my spine, so if i wake up in pain i can just pop it on, because it cycles for 15 mins, i usually fall asleep again without too much bother. The only thing i have found to aggrevate it is if i leave my electric blanket on overnight, i wake up really really stiff in the morning.
    Its the major drawback of arthritis really, you just never know when your symptoms will be good, bad or indifferent.

hope you find a solution to your pain

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    HI firemanphil, how are you doing? DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Firemanphil
    Sorry I cant help with your question, but I just want to send you my support, you will get lots of information off the forum, I wish you well with the cycling...and everything else you plan to do.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tillytop
    Options
    Evening Firemanphil

Just wanted to say "good luck" with the methotrexate tomorrow!

Monday is mtx day for me too so I will be thinking of you as I swallow my pills. :))

Please do post to let us know how you get on.

Tilly x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Fireman Phil,

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and to wish you well for tomorrow. Please let us know how you get on.

Hope you enjoyed your works do on Friday. :))

Lv, Ix
  • Firemanphil_39
    Options
    Well, i took my 15 mg's yesterday morning.... I'm pleased that i haven't felt untoward....

Is this the calm before the storm... Will i have to wait to see how i feel when my body realises its missing cells that should have been produced ?

Many thanks for all the support
    Phil
    x
    my knee is a bit swollen ( and hot) again... I probably walked about a mile overall yesterday on it...

I'm very anxious about things... worried, wondering should i get onto someone about the swelling? ie aspiration/injection (had one about 4 weeks ago)
    My rheummy said last week he isn't a fan of them, and i imagine he'll want to guage to effectiveness of the MTX... But i'm worried about potential damage....
    :|
  • tillytop
    Options
    Evening Phil

I am so glad you seem to be coping well with your first dose of mtx! In terms of whether this is the calm before the stom - hopefully not. Everyone responds differently to mtx. Some have no side effects whatsoever and hopefully you will be one of those.

I do understand why you are anxious and worried about things and why your knee is concerning you. Joint damage in inflammatory arthritis is caused by prolonged inflammation (over months and years) and swelling and stiffness/pain can come and go depending on what's going on with the arthritis and what you have been doing. So I wouldn't worry too much about joint damage in that knee in the short term. In terms of asking for another injection - if it continues to be swollen and is very painful, then it might be worth asking if you can have another injection but you might find that the docs feel it is too soon for another one.

Hopefully, once the mtx gets into your system, you will start to notice an improvement overall Phil. 15mg mts weekly is quite a high starting dose I reckon (by the time I increase to 15mg next week, I will have been on mtx for three months) so, with any luck it will work for you (I think "they" say it can take anywhere from 2 - 12 weeks to start to work).

Please do try not to worry Phil - difficult I know.

Tilly xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,658
    Options
    Hi Fireman Phil good to meet you :))

and william I loved yours and DD's conversation about booze x:lol:

I was desperate for a good laugh today :))

CHEERS!

Love

Toni xx
  • williamlargs
    Options
    Ahhh.......booze!! :))

Stick with it Phil it works for me. Still think 15mg was quite a steep starting dose.

I'm on 20mg which was built up over 7 weeks?

Cheers
  • Firemanphil_39
    Options
    Well, I'm feeling ok.... Apart from having a bit of fatigue, but i think that's a bit of a cold. My wife and kids are a bit down too.

Only complaint is I'm really feeling low.... My thoracic spine feels sore..has done for over a week.. and my big toe (on opposite side to other joints involved feels a bit sore )
    I'm seeing my gp in 45 mins... I fancy trying to get some diazepam... Ease my anxiety (bp was 145/90 last week)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    williamlargs, I missed your question about food - it's the stuff one chews - y'know, teeth are involved - in between the slurps of the good stuff. It comes in various flavours and textures and makes you fat if you chew too much of the wrong stuff.

firemanphil, I am on injected meth (which is stronger than the tablet form) and I have no side effects whatosever. It is not guaranteed that you will feel icky, or more tired than usual or lose some hair or anything else you might have read about - but it is worth keeping an eye out for anything that doesn't fit in with how you usually are: if these feelings regularly appear after meth day then yes, there could be a link. You will be carefully monitored with regular blood tests and these are important, and your body - if it doesn't like the meth too much at first - may well adapt. Any benefit may not be felt until three months - patience is a virtue in the 'trying new meds game' that we all play from time to time. I wish you well. DD
  • williamlargs
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    williamlargs, I missed your question about food - it's the stuff one chews - y'know, teeth are involved - in between the slurps of the good stuff. It comes in various flavours and textures and makes you fat if you chew too much of the wrong stuff.

Oh yes I remember now! Still I much prefer the stuff you don't have to chew x:wink:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hi firemanphil, how's it going? Any problems with the meth? I hope not. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Afternoon, firemanphil, still wondering how you are: I hope all is OK. DD
  • tillytop
    Options
    Good luck with your second dose of mtx tomorrow!

I'm due to up my dose to 15mg tomorrow and will think of you as I down the pills!

Love Tillyxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning Phil, how are things? DD