Hi, fireman , 39 in lichfield...

Options
Firemanphil_39
Firemanphil_39 Member Posts: 66
edited 22. Dec 2010, 10:12 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all, just seen this forum.. I've just posted in the 'living with' area...

Just had my Rheumy's follow up today... MTX starts Monday... Life changing news.... Let alone the worry of getting back as an operational firefighter...

Looking at either A.S, reactive A or psoriatic A...

At what stage/which condition would I be able to say 'I have a disability'?

Many thanks
Phil
X

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    x:)) Just thought I'd welcome you to the forum Phil, not got much in the way of advise as the RA is fairly new to me, I've got sero negative in my wrists and hands.. I have had osteo arthur ford many years though..
    You should get lots of advise on here, I know there are quite a few on the same meds etc..

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ooooh, tough one to answer. When does one have a disablilty? When it impinges on your every-day life? When it impinges on your work life? When it impinges on your private life? A mixture of all three or none of the above? There are those, firemanphil, who soldier on regardless (despite being severely crippled) and those who give up because they have a tiny wee pain in their big toe. We are all different - what we can stomach is different, what we can manage is different, our breaking points are different. Can't help you on that one, sorry. I posted an answer on your other thread - welcome to the forums, it's a shame you had to find us but we are a good and knowledgeable group. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi from a RA sufferer in Stafford.

Do you see Dr Chalam (sp)?

It may be advisable to see occy health as whatever is diagnosed is likely to have an impact on your duties. Once you have your diagnosis, then you may come under the DDA where reasonable adjustments would have to be considered.

Hope you visit the forum, we are here for support & advice

Janie
  • Firemanphil_39
    Firemanphil_39 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm in lichfield. I'm seeing Tom price.. I paid to see him probably at rowley hall stafford a few weeks back... They do very nicely out of the private side :o .... Can't complain though... As we were 'barking up the wrong tree' for 6 months my 3 swollen joints etc... I saw him the same day as my gp referral !!

Q. I wonder what sort of wait I would have had to be seen on the nhs?

Joints affected... Mid foot, ankle( diffuse, Inc tendons) and knee..

I reckon I'll have to convince employers to keep me (when managed) as they seem to work conservatively and being operational would be 'too onerous' .. And the potential consequence would be dismissal on capability grounds! Long gone are the Ill health pensions...
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Hey Phil

I have seen you on LWA, but will formally say hello now. i went to school mostly in lichfield so i know it well. Am stuck out here in Heath Hayes at the moment. Lived in three diferent addresses in lich (parents were a bit nomadic!).

Love

toni xx
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hi Sam old man from Liverpool here LOL

Have a lokk at the site i have sent you for a good definition of what a disability is. Many people conger up all sorts of mental pictures of limbless people or people in wheelcghairs but the term aplies to a wide range of people.

http://www.dwa.org.au/whatisadisability.htm

Colin
    c025.gif
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE