I didn't like the sound of MTX!

Options
JasminHolly
JasminHolly Member Posts: 7
edited 19. Dec 2010, 12:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi spike!
I was diagnosed with RA when I was 17, I'm now 20 and coping well. My consultant wanted me to go on MTX but after researching it and talking to people who have had experience with it I decided against it. I decided that I didn't want to take a drug that would completely alter my life. My consultant then advised me to try Gold Injections. I have been receiving these now for about 8 months and I would never go back! I still have my off days but they are so few and far between!
I hope this helps!
Jaz

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jaz

Nice to meet you.

I am so glad that you are doing so well on the gold and thanks for letting us all know. Good to know all the options available isn't it?

Long may you keep your health

Love

toni xx
  • nanarose
    nanarose Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi Jaz, pleased the gold treatment works for you. It is nice to know about the alternatives, although mtx seems to be the poison of choice for most Rheummys. x:P
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The meth has made no difference to my life whatosever. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Hello Jaz,

Nice to meet you. Very pleased to hear that the gold is working so well for you x:D

Thirty years ago it was a miracle for me too. I had weekly injections for 3 years and it sent Arthur and his RA into remission for years and years. When it came back and bit me on the bum I asked why it had to be meths and not gold and I was given the speil about if you've been off gold for a number of years then it's not going to be effective. :shock:

Well neither was the meths and I'm now on Cimzia but I still have a hankering for the gold :lol:

Take care, gold works so well otherwise why should it still be a therapy 80 years after it was first prescribed x:?

Cherry x
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Hi Jaz,

Glad to hear the Gold injections are helping. My rheummy was adamant that mtx should be my drug of choice, so I asked him 'if he was diagnosed with RA, which dmard would he take?' He replied 'sulpha'.

Well, if its good enough for a rheummy, it's good enough for me! Have been on it a year now and no regrets!

Lois x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too!

I am glad the gold is working for you. I had gold injections a few years ago and, together with some other dmards, it worked for me too. I dont' know why, but gold seems to be considered "old fashioned" these days and I don't think it is prescribed that often. Not sure why cos I'm sure I read somewhere that it can be very effective and is usually well tolerated.

Love Tilly xxx
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    That's interesting Jazz... usually one things of 'gold' as an being an out of date treatment, so it's good to hear that it still works..

BW

Marion