Hi there

Options
bobbyger
bobbyger Member Posts: 155
edited 22. Dec 2010, 20:18 in Say Hello Archive
Hi there,

I am a 36 year old male with OA in my right ankle (too much football and military excercises).
I am going in for an ankle fusion in Feb next year.
My first Op was back in 2002 where I had an arthroscopy to clean the joint out. This was a great success as it gave me 6 pain free years. The pain then returned in 2008 when I was posted out in Cyprus, I was unable to get an Op there as the surgeons told me it would not cure it. I knew that, i was just after a similar result to the first Op.
I was then posted back to the UK and wanted a second opinion. I was sent to see Dr N Cullen @ RNOH Stanmore. He advised me that because of the severity of the OA I would need an ankle fusion at some point in the future and any cleanup job may bring it sooner rather than later.
As the first Op was a success, I decided to risk it. I had the second clean up in March this year. Alas, Dr Cullen was right and the pain was as bad if not worse and my ankle had lost some stability. It was also now out of shape (angled to the outside of the leg). To top it all off, I find now I am putting more weight on my other leg which is now causing pain in my knee as I had some of the cartilage removed last year (another footballing injury). I then went to see Dr Cullen again and we decided to go ahead with the fusion.
I attended a fusion forum the hold for patients @ RNOH Stanmore where they give you all the info you need and you get to talk to past patients who have had a fusion. This confirmed to me that I was making the right decision as I would rather have a stiff painless ankle than a stiff painful one.

I shall keep you posted on my Op and the recovery after it.

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi bobbyger, it's nice to meet you and I wish you well for February. I have a different form of arthritis to you so cannot comment on the ops etc, but I hope it works out for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too.

If you post on the Living with Arthritis (LWA) forum your message will be seen by more people because people tend to look there regularly.

Look forward to seeing you posting.

Love Tilly xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi Bobby, welcome from me too... I have OA in spine and knees, had a few athroscopies myself, the knee ones aren't much fun and I can't see the ankle ones being a big laugh either. :?
    Best of luck with the fusion, really hope it's a success for you.

Tony :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Rob

good to meet you :grin:

I would like to welcome you from me to this lovely forum full of lovely folks in similar position to yourself.

Sounds like it has been hard on you with your life sounding to have been very physical.

I do hope the op is done soon and is successful

Love

toni xx
  • nancyd589
    nancyd589 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, I now became a member of this community here and I would love to be a part of it. Just enjoy the environment here.

*The above post has been edited by a moderator as it breaches House Rules.IA