Vaccination Side Effects

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 23. Dec 2010, 17:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Last year I had the seasonal flu vac and the swine flu vac for the first time. Unfortunately I did have side effects, then this year I felt quite poorly after the combined vac - so much so I spent the following afternoon completely 'zonked' out in bed!

On a routine visit to my gp practice recently the nurse said "oh you havent had the pneumonia vac, come back and I'll do it for you". I have since spoken to a different nurse and voiced my concerns over whether I am likely to have side-effects from this - but basically she wasn't much help.

So, folks, I'm wondering if it was just the swine flu element that caused my side-effects previously and I would be ok with just the seasonal flu jab in the future?

But do I risk the pheumo vaccine? Has anyone had any side-effects with the pneumonia vac by itself? What would you guys do x:?:

Comments

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jackie, sorry to hear that you didn't feel too good after the flu vaccine. It can cause mild discomfort and possibly make you feel as if you are getting a cold, but it is usually very well tolerated and cannot cause any of the flu strains that it protects against. The only main reaction is if you are allergic to eggs. This years flu jab also contains the vaccine to H1N1 flu as well.

I had the pneumonia one, at the same time as my flu jab, no problems encountered, so I would say the benefits far out way any minimal side effects and it is only needed on one occasion.

Hope that helps, let us know how you get on. Take care, XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi jackie

this is almost impossible to answer isn't it? Better to have it if you can, but a bit scary too.

It's not like an allergy either where you could have supplies of antihistamines ready..... x:( mmmmm.... what to do.....

If you go ahead maybe you should be ready to have a reaction? I.e. have warm bed ready and a happy helper (husband ot the like) to look after you?

Or would NHS direct be able to advise?

Love

toni xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Jackie

I too had (apparently) a reaction to the flu vaccine this year for the first time (may not have been that but think it probably was).

But, when I had the pneumo vaccine a few years ago I had no probs with it at all.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Love Tilly xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's that age-old problem - we are all different in how we react to these things. I have never had a problem with the flu jab, the pneumo one, or the meth/humira injections. I don't think that means I never will, but it does make one wonder if some are more prone to react than others. I wish you well in whatever you decide. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I've had the pneumonia vaccine and not a single side effect. I did have the swine flu as a separate vaccine last year and no problems. However, I had it with the seasonal flu this year and had strong reaction of sore arm etc.

I wouldn't think twice about having the pneumonia vaccine. It could save your life. I had pneumonia 20 years ago and I nearly died. Two weeks completely out of it at home and another two weeks in hospital and six months to recover. On the drugs I am on now, it would have killed me.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Personally i wouldnt worry about the pneumonia vaccine as its been round a while, although i have had pneumonia anyway.
    I have turned down flu vaccine for son and myself due to the inclusion of swine flu as i dont agree with the way the vaccine is made (stuff on t.v. etc about adjuvents,all medical etc that put me right off), there again, apparently i had swine flu last year. I just hope my son is okay but i am not using him as a guineapig.
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi all,
    Well, common sense prevailed and I had the jab yesterday, and so far so good - no side effects!

Thank you all for your replies...... I think I just needed some reassurance that it IS right to have it - or maybe a swift kick up the rear to get on with it lol

Jackie x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Well done Jackie! I'm sure you will be fine!

Tilly xxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I'm so glad you went ahead and had the vaccine. My Mum used to have it and she had a reaction as if she had a cold the evening afterwards, but it was nothing compared to flu, but its brave of you, all the same, when you've had a reation, it must be worrying. Take care. Love Suexxxx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 23. Dec 2010, 08:24
    Options
    x8)
  • dean76
    dean76 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    I had swine flu vaccine last year; but the egg free version. This year I had the flujab and didnt realise the H1N1 was combined. This meant I not only reacted from the egg in the flu jab but I reacted to the egg int he H1N1 as well!!!!!!!!!

I think I should have been warned about the egg in the jabs. But my surgery didnt want to know!
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hello Jackie long time no see how you doing.
    I had the combined one and apart from a sore arm for a day or 2 i was fine.
    colin
    c025.gif
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi Jackie,I had the flu jab for the first time this year but three days after having it done I went down with a nasty bout of flu which has lasted two weeks.My GP said it was nothing to do with the jab as the flu virus must have already been in my system.I had no probs with a sore arm like some other members have mentioned.I'm still glad I had the jab done. Breane.x
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    both me and my 15 year old daughter have ahd the flu jab for years with no worrys maybe a slightly aching arm a day or so later both had swine flu last year as well no worrys had the combined one this year again slightly aching arm the phnumonia one we both had with no problems at all so glad you have had it done, wish my hubby would have it done hes a driving instructor so stuck in a combined space all day with teenagers often sniffing colds and am so hoping he doesnt get it , x:D