help in keeping warm - heating has packed in!

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 21. Dec 2010, 05:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI all

any tips on keeping warm and not allowing myself to get ill whilst I wait for the BG boiler people come to sort out our frozen boiler on Monday afternoon? (that was the best they could offer!)

have no hot water except kettles, and only 3 small electric heaters.

got one in bedroom, and others in Lounge/dining room.
am keeping doors closed and hoping that will be enough.

I'm just worried that I've just started the infliximab and I daren't get ill! Am already wearing lots of layers, thermals, and will be putting a hat on soon I think it's that bloomin cold here :(:( Hall thermostat reads 14 degrees C at the moment :shock:

any tips very gratefully received.

Just off to boil a kettle and fill a flask so we can have hot water in the bathroom. :roll:

WONky

Comments

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    oh WOnky hun, how dreadful, just as winter grips us all. Keeping doors and curtains closed will help a bit, that's what we had to do when our boiler packed up last year, in the big freeze. Electric heaters are ok, but you sort of have to sit on top of them to get any benefit.
    Lots of hot drinks and some sugary snacks, will boost your metabolism a bit, don't know if you an use your oven or hobs, we did that, left the oven door open and the gas hobs going, which helped a bit.
    If you have a thermometer, it would be worth checking your temperature as well, trying to keep it around 37 degrees.
    Wishing it was Monday for you, why do things always happen at week ends, or late on a Friday?
    Take lots of care, we will keep you warm, in abundant hugs. XXX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Oh no WOnky!!

That happened to me last New Year's Day..

I put my v-neck wool sweaters from next on my dogs!!.

I have an electric oven, so put that on, which warmed the kitchen up, but goes cold as soon as you stitch it off ..... and various friends leant me heaters .. I must say the best heater was a dimplex portable radiator, but I also have a plug-in electric heather that looks like an oil-fired stove and that's quite good too.

Absolutely put lots of layers on and a hat, and a scarf (I tend to always wear a scarf anyway).. have you got any old gloves you can cut the tops of the fingers out of?

Fortunately my shower wasn't affected (it's on a different system), so I could still have nice hot showers..

Hope you manage to get through the next couple of days and it's not too expensive to fix..

just what you don't need just before Christmas!!

Take care

Marion
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Blankets when you are sitting Wonky!

nad wheaty underneath or hotties x:(

HOT bath if you can get in or HOT shower then dry in a warm room (bedroom witha heater in it?)

Bless you how AWFUL is this?

LOve

toni xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Wonky,
    Oh wow that is awful for you. Yes the hat is a good idea and bed socks etc. Roll up some towels to block any drafts at the bottom of the doors and stuff news papers in any door jams. If you have any cling film put it over the windows as a triple glaze affect.
    Is there not a priority service for people who are vulnerable? Could you contact the health clinic/out of hours GP?
    Sending many warm hugs to you both.
    Lv, Ix
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    oh Wonky thats just not on having to wait till monday , keep your curtains closed as much as possible , some times the council will loan heaters , plenty of hot drinks and yes hat and gloves xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I second everyone else with the hat etc - multiple layers is a good idea too, as is moving about to generate body heat: I know that moving ain't that easy but it does keep your circulation going, does generate heat and helps to keep you warm. Failing all of that, move in with the neighbours/friends/family until it's fixed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Oh Wonky just what you dont need at this time of year x:(
    I hope you manage to keep warm enough & well.
    i cant offer any more advice than has already been given apart from maybe plenty of vitimin C to help keep colds at bay, soups, broth etc to help warm you up.
    Lets hope they can get the heating fixed Monday.
    Take care
    sending warming (((((hugs))))) debs
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Wonky
    I think all the advice has been given, I hope you do manage to keep warm....sending you loads of very warming hugs..((((((())))))
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Wonky

How awful for you both and Littlelegs too.That must be making you feel so miserable. I know it would me. Where is the boiler for it to have frozen? Is it in the garage or something? Can you beg, borrow or steal some more electric heaters? What you need is an electric blanket. I do feel sorry for you both. It is one thing after another at the moment for you isn't it? Can you go and visit someone nearby tomorrow? I wish I could wave a magic wand and your boiler would start to work again for you.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    sorry to heat that wonky, hope yoU're ok, I also thought that there was a priority thing for vulnerable people.. Keep yourself wrapped up in layers hun... Take care of yourself..

Tony
    X :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Oh Wonky what a nightmare. Agree with all suggestions offered. Make sure you snuggle up under a duvet/sleeping bag/blankets when sitting down and use your hot water bottles. Spend as much time as possible in one room and if travel is possible go and visit someone with a warm house/go and sit in the cinema or a cafe for awhile to warm through.

Roll on Monday ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    I said it earlier this week, but I'll say it iagain ....

you lot really are the best :)) thank you all so much.

after popping back in earlier today, and seeing the first few posts & all the tips, we got ferreting about in the cupboards and unearthed our long-forgotten sleeping bags from the back of a cupboard, and blankets, draught excluders etc.

Also put the oven on which made a huge difference, and we enjoyed the baked spuds too :grin::grin:

Watching tv tonight we have been as cosy as anything, each curled up in a sleeping bag. Littlelegs wasn't left out as she now has our old quilt to keep her cosy, though I expect it will not be long before she is climbing into bed with us tonight, and for once we'll not object to a doggy hot water bottle :lol::lol:

The boiler was making ominous noises (it is in the loft directly over our bedroom ceiling) and I could feel the vibrations from it even downstairs :shock: Rooted round for the instruction book which was next to useless, so I have spent another hour in a queue on the phone tonight (free phone number thankfully :wink: ) until I spoke to a very nice man in leicester, who reminded me of the electrical isolation switch which of course I had completely forgotten about .... so now at least we can go to sleep knowing that the boiler will not do anything drastic like blow up above our heads as we sleep :wink:

Kettles have been boiled, flasks are filled ready for the morning ablutions (at least with our old boiler we had a hot water tank with an emersion heater for emergencies :roll: that's progress & energy saving for you! :roll: :roll: ) and I am just about to go to bed looking like a rather large red slug :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If all else fails and we can get the car out, I can decamp to the inlaw's for a shower ..... and a friend has offered her kitchen if we want to take our washing-up round there :)

thanks again folks
    take care
    WOnky xxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    You're welcom Wonky, just make sure you stay warm..

Best wishes

Tony :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    morning Wonky i hope you have managed to stay warm ,do try and air your sleeping bags for tonight , xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hi Wonky and Littlelegs.
    i hope you are keeping as warm as you can it wont be to long till tomorrow.
    its a good job it happened this weekend and not next weekend.
    take care joan xx :))
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    How are you doing, wonky? I hope you are keeping warm and comfortable. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Wonky
    Just popping in to see how you are, I do hope you are keeping warm, you keep cuddling up to little legs till tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed for you.
    Love and very warm hugs (((((((())))))
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Wonky

Just seen this post - wot a pain!

But sounds as if you went to bed all nice and toasty in the end! Really hope you have managed to stay warm today and that the boiler man does come as promised tomorrow afternoon.

Sending you lots of warm wishes.

Love Tilly xxx
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    I've only just seen this warmest hugs from everyone here
    I know exactly what your going through as ours packed in a couple of weeks back in the 1st cold snap with tons of snow
    No other solutions, we just heated 2 rooms, with a gas fire and some borrowed electric heaters, wore warm clothes, (except our son who proved himself a true geordie as he ran round the house naked :shock: ) extra blankets, hot water bottles and gloves inside , now our neighbours has gone so we've been sharing our shower hope they get it fixed for you soon
    (((((( :) )))))))
    Chrissie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

Oh m friend lack of heat in this weather :shock: :shock:

Chuck all the heat you have in one room..... wrap up, I now swear by fleeces, several if I can fit them in.... Hot drinks, hottles and blankets.

I so hope they will come out and sorry you have this added thing in such cold weather. ((((( ))))) warming buckets and he has sent his very best warmest slurps, Love Cris xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    So sorry not to get in before, but we've spent the whole day keeping one room downstairs as warm as we can, with the result that the other rooms are icy!

tonight we've moved upstairs, complete with heaters, so I can finally get on the computer!

We've managed quite well, with kettles & flasks for hot water, the electric heaters we have (dread the bill at the end of it :shock: ) and clothing which includes more layers than an onion has :lol::lol::lol:

Hubby gets to go to work tomorrow, so I'm hoping that the gas man comes as early as possible in the afternoon since the highest temperature here tomorrow is forecast to be -4 :shock: :shock: :shock:

hope you are all ok and keeping as warm as possible.

hugs
    WOnky
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Hope he turns up first thing wonks... About time you had some heating there!!
    Be well and stay wrapped up
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Wonky

Just catching up to see this. :shock: So sorry you have been battling the cold, as well as getting over the infusion. Do hope they sort your heating tomorrow. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Returning some of your famous WARM wonky hugs to help till then.
    take care
    love
    Chris
    (Who is supposed to be somewhere else tomorrow but isn't too sure she will get there. :roll: Damn and curses to this weather and disruption to train services!! )
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello wwwwwwoooonnnkkkyyyy (that's me, shivering, just to take the mickey!) I hope you are OK and that the man from del Monte (God, sorry, wrong ad) British Gas turns up and soon. DD
  • pottypam
    pottypam Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi Wonky , I do hope you managed to keep warm, its horrid when its cold as it makes us ache a bit more .
    I know it not always viable but what i do is stay in bed with heated blanket lol but then got no one to worry about . And veg with the tv on,teasmade and snacks ,mm will come out in the spring ,!!