THR vs Birmingham hip

Options
aoaursand
aoaursand Member Posts: 4
edited 23. Dec 2010, 18:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was diagnosed as a 9 year old boy with calve leg perthes in my right hip.
My hip was the very damaged, and I spent the next 2-3 years using crutches.
I lived a normal life doing what other kids did, except putting any load on my right leg.
I am now 52 years old and I need to do somthing.
I am searching the net for other people who has the same problems as I have, but there is little information.
I wonder what other people have done and what kind of solution they have decided to use and what experience they have made.
Has anyone had the same problem and are you willing to share their experience?
My surgeon wants to put in a new hip, but I have heard about resurfacing and wonder what other people has done?

Comments

• daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello.
    J.
    Just wanted to say that I had a Birmingham in 2007 and apparently it has not worked and the last Doctor I spoke to said I needed a total hip.

The margin for error in a Birmingham is greater. The cut should be bigger because the alignment of the componants is more critical. If it is not done correctly there will be problems.

It is better to get a surgeon who has a good record in BHR.
    website 'Hip Talk' gives a list of recommended surgeons for the BHR.

That said men are said to be better with a BHR for some reason.
    I strongly recommend that you look at the website to get all the information you need to make a descision.
    hope everything goes well for.
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hi again.
    Just been onto that website and it's called Surface Hippy.
    There is a forum if you want to post any questions.
    Take care.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Bumped up in case any other hippies are about. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi auorsand

welcome form me to the forums.

I have no advice to give, but would like to wish you luck - great advice from dalily :grin:

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Aoaursand,

I have one of each - THR on the left and resurface-replacement on the right.

My current oppinion is that the resurface-replacement is superior to my THR, however I must qualify this by saying that my THR is 13 years old and my BHR is less than a year old.

It has better range of movement, more strength, is less likely to dislocate, is more like a "real" hip ... just hope it lasts as well as the THR.

As Daylily points out, it is essential to have the op done by a surgeon experienced in the procedure (though quite how they get experienced .. I shall not ponder about.) So do your research and select your consultant wisely.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.