Hi guys!

Keren
Keren Member Posts: 29
edited 21. Dec 2010, 10:40 in Say Hello Archive
Another newbie here - I've just been diagnosed with OA after over a year of painful joints in my hands, particularly my thumbs.

I've been feeling a bit down in the dumps - I'm only 35, and am feeling pretty anxious about the future. I'm a web designer, and my job is based around using my hands. I also had a rubbish experience second time around at the hospital rheumatology department with a registrar doctor (she told me my diagnosis in a totally laissez faire way, and was then very dismissive when I asked about a long term prognosis - I left feeling miserable). :cry: I've booked an appointment with my (very nice) GP to talk through things with him, so hopefully that will help.

Anyways that's my story. Nice to meet you all!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi keren and welcome to the forum. I don't have OA so cannot really help on that front: your GP is the one you will be liaising with the most over this diagnosis, so it's good you and he get on well. He may well offer you anti-inflammatories (ask about a stomach protector too, if he does) and pain relief. As for the hsopital doc, well, it is very hard to give anyone a long-term prognosis, we all develop our various versions of arthritis in our own ways and no-one can definitively tell you what the future holds. I know that some people on here swear by a hot wax treatment to ease their hand joints - if you post any queries on LWA (living with arthritis) you may get more replies as more people tend to look in on that forum. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Keren
    Keren Member Posts: 29
    Thanks dreamdaisy - I will.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The forums are pretty quiet at the moment, something to do with the approach of Christmas I expect! Be patient, I am sure those who are more knowledgeable will be along. You could always ring the helpline - they have a wealth of advice, leaflets and info, the number is at the top of every page. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Keren, just wanted to welcome you on behalf of us blokes on here too... Hope you're ok.?

Be well
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi keren

good to meet you.

you will feel scared at first - sounds as though the diagnosis could have been handled a bit better.

This is definitely the place to get first hand info from the people arhtitis most directly eefects - us lot :grin:

Over time you learn your limits get the right meds and support from the GP and maybe physio Ot etc so make life easier for you and look after your hands. This should help you feel less afraid (fear of the future is the wosrt thing) and more in control of your life again.

Love

toni xx