Total Hip Replacement

frank1
frank1 Member Posts: 2
edited 24. Dec 2010, 17:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am due for an operation in January but as I am a relatively fit person, for a 66 year old, I am worried about the effect on my lifestyle in the long term.

What about gardening,driving, DIY and general stuff like washing the car etc.

Apparently general opinion is that each persons ability to manage after the operation is different but I would still be interested in any relevant comments as this is a life changing decision.

Frank

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't have the right sort of arthritis to benefit from a life-changing and life-enhancing operation! Just my luck, huh? The general consensus amongst our hippie people is that it does make a great difference to the quality of life - find posts by tonesp, he had his done last October and is now running around like a two year old. I think it is a wonderful opportunity for you - more replacements work than fail and yes, the role of the individual can play a part but I sincerely hope it makes all the difference for you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi...Yes go ahead with a THR...the worse part of it is the 6 weeks recovery where you have so many restrictions about bending/driving/ etc and of course the passion killers {white stockings} that you have to wear day and night LOL but once you get that over you'll not regret it.
    Love
    Hileena
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    I had my hip replaced in August 09 (aged 27) but havent regreted it for one second!
    Its hard work to start with, but now my hip can do so much more than it could before .. im back at work which i thought impossible!

x :))
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Frank and welcome, I had my left hip replaced at 30 and my right hip had a resurface replacement this year.

Ok, a replaced hip is not as good as a healthy natural one, but it is a lot better than an arthritic one!

The longer you put it off, the more your hip muscles weaken and the harder you have to work post op to regain your muscle strength.

Gardening - not for awhile, but you will get there - I use a few gadgets to help me.

Driving - I started driving again from 6 weeks ... but depends on which hip. If it is your left hip and your car is a manual ... will take a little longer.

Washing your car ... yes you'll be able to do that too, probably around 8 to 12 weeks.
    Apparently general opinion is that each persons ability to manage after the operation is different
    This is true - and you sound just the sort to be quickly back doing the things you want to do.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • lola9755
    lola9755 Member Posts: 39
    Hi
    Its 5 weeks today since I had my THR and can say that there is light at the end of the tunnel......... Im sleeping much better, no painkillers and Im getting around the house with just one stick, although the new hip side is slightly weaker.... but this was very weak befor my op. I go back to the hospital in January and should be able to drive soon after that,
    Im hoping that I will be back to work soon and plan to holiday in the spring
    Merry christmas everyone
    tricia
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    I had my right hip done 5yrs ago and as someone says its never as good as the real thing but its painfree and I can do most things now.. I could hardly walk before so 99% improvement. I say go for it and don't worry I do most things in the garden although kneeling and getting up and down is hard but then my second hip is deteriorating . Washing the car is no problem and I can scoot up and down into the loft ok and also go for a good long walk. I do DIY and wash windows and drive myself everywhere.. I do find long drives uncomfortable but thats because I have Osteo-Arthritis in lots of joints...
    Only you can decide if the debilitating hip is affecting your life enough to endure major surgery , mine was making my life a misery and I decided I'd take the risk of the surgery... good luck with it...ask any questions you need to if you decide to go ahead
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.