Options
2»

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks to you both......New Year New Start.......I will change my thinking. I know what I would say to thers :lol: Its do as I say not as I do :?

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi hileena, I hope you are feeling better, not only physically (has the bug gone?) but also with your thoughts. Acceptance won't happen overnight, it never does, but with the course of . . . hileena, hon, put the sherry down and listen now . . .as you become more attuned to the . . . .no, I don't think more is a very good idea at the mo . . .as you become more used to having the stuff around . . . yes, hileena, I love you to, yes you are lovely - sleepies now? You are feeling sleepies? No wonder, you been on the sherry for days! :grin: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: Think the sherry has worn off now.
    I have a more practical problem now....not pride
    The bath seat is good......at getting me in and out but when I'm sitting on it ...in the bath.....it takes up a lot of the bath {which isnt the biggest anyway} so cant stretch out....have my knees bent quite a lot.....and cant sink completly under the water.....quite a lot exposed and it doesnt take long to start freezing :shock: and I'm not the slimmest but at the most 5 lbs over weight so its not that.
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh. Hmmmmmmm. Yup. I can see the problem and I suspect the definition of 'bath' may have to be slightly altered. The days of soaking-for-hours-up-to-your-neck-in-bubbles may be gone, which is a sad thing, but at least you can still partake of this activity, which is a happy thing. DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Soaking for hours up to my neck in bubbles was the point of this :cry:
    OT said I had to soak most days to ease the pain....
    Oh well....bath it is going to be and very little soak...never mind. Cant be helped
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Now I understand - here, have a swig, it's your bottle after all. Ummmm, is it more of a hindrance than a help then? There has to be a way round it but I am not well-versed in these matters (as you may have guessed). Another? Oooh, don't mind if I do. Alhocol helps the pinking throcess. DD
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Aw the bath is a disappointment for you. Perhaps in the New Year you can contact the OT lady and see if there is an alternative model.

Lv, Ix
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi...yes I weill contact her after the hols and see if she has any suggestions.
    DD are you still going to be legless by then ???? :lol::lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

I too was disappointed with the bath lift and actually found it more difficult to use it rather than a perching stool and orthopaedic loo seat lined up by the side of the bath for me to grab them like a monkey.

I was also worried that it was impossible to clean underneath the bathlift as the gear is "stuck" to the bath. After trying to get on with it for about three months I asked for it to be collected. I was totally horrified by the residual muck revealed when it was removed. Personally I think they're an absolute health hazard. The bottom of the bath looked like a public lavatory that hadn't been cleaned for years, yuck and double yuck :shock:

My husband varnished the bannister rail without removing it by dipping a lint free cloth into a container of "tinted" polyurethane and rubbing it up and down the rail as if he was polishing it. It's come up a treat so it has :lol:

Good luck with the equipment. The really useful things do make a world of difference :grin:

Cherry x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Cherry,
    Glad someone else has actually had experience of this bath lift.
    Is it not possible to take it off now and a gain to clean unerneath it? I can imagine {now that you mention it } about the muck that would gather under those suckers.. I dont actually need a lift as such. I think some sort of a bar/rail on the wall that I could pull myself up on would be as good.....It was good at getting me down and up but took up half the bath and at least without it I can have a good soak {more space} and not get cold. My neck isnt bad but sometimes arthur acts up there and its nice to slip completely down in the water and have it covering my neck,
    Thanks for tha advice about the bannister....hubby was sitting her as I was reading this so passed it on to him LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • cherrybim
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

I guess it would be feasible to "unsuck" the suckers and lift the bathlift out but it would be a bit of a palaver and I think we were concerned in case it wouldn't go back properly and I'd end up in a tangled heap :lol:

There's nothing quite like wallowing down underneath the warmest water you can bear for easing the ol' joints is there and with all that machinery in the bath I found I just ended up miserable and cold. The rails/bars on the wall/edge of the bath are a much better idea. I find the grab rails on the walls either side of the two pain up the *** steps into our kitchen heavensent and I've a fancy for having more of them all over the house :lol: The ones in the shower are brill but I prefer a bath to a shower so I don't often take advantage of them although OH does.

Tell your OH I'm sorry if I've made a job for him but tell him the cloth method is ever so quick and he can do a second or even third coat once the first is dry :lol:

Cherry x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi......This thing is going back after the hols....no if's but's or maybe's about it.....I'm sick of being freezing cold in that bath....
    OH isnt well at the minute but as soon as he's feeling a bit better I'll get him to take it out and then I'll wash the bath and have a wonderful long long soak UNDER the water :grin:
    I'll ring OT and tell her its her for her to sort out collection.
    Thanks for the info about the rail Cherry
    Love
    Hileena
  • cherrybim
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Sorry to hear OH isn't well at the mo, wish him a speedy recovery, his services are required!

I've never been so pleased to see the back of anything as when that useless bath lift went out the front door :lol:

Get the industrial cleaner ready to make the bath your own again without the Heath Robinson contraption taking up all the space and leaving you shivering with the cold :)

Cherry x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Hileena
    Happy new year to you.
    I am sorry about the bath lift that yur expectations were not met. I didn't want to say anything before but my bathlift is in our loft. (we bought it ourself). We found that when my daughter and oh wanted a bath it had to be lifted out every time cause they wanted to lay right down. And yes it did get soap scum underneath if it wasn't removed. I used loads of water and still wasn't covered. I stuck it out for about 2 years then went and bought a bath board and oh lifts me off that and lowers me into the bath.
    All well and good while he can. There may come a time when it has to be used again but i might try one of them inflatable bath bubbles. (unless someone on here says they are no good too)
    Hope the other equipment is ok for you.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Hileena, am very disappointed by your bathlift .... totally defeats the object doesn't it? Also means OH has to use it if he fancies a soak? No wonder the OT got one for you so quickly ... no one else wanted it!! Definitely go for rails etc instead and in the meantime research different models for the future.

How is your back and hip, by the way?
    Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Well you tried and it did sound too good to be true getting it so quickly.
    It is far too cold to be messing about with that oversized thing.
    Hope your back has not suffered too much.

Lv, Ix
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Hileena

just been reading back your thread.... sorry the much longed for bath lift has turned out to be pretty useless... what a disappointment for you. :roll:

sometimes we can't tell whether an aid or an adaptation is going to suit, but from reading everyone else's experience it does seem that this particular 'aid' doesn't do what it's supposed to!

I hope the extra stair rail is proving helpful.... I have rails either side of the stairway and couldn't be without now.

Hope you had a good New Year despite the difficulties.

Iris xx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi.....
    Well I suppose you dont know these things until you try them and its not as if I bought it....OT provided it so no harm done.
    Peter isnt well at the minute but as soon as he's better I'll get him to take it out and stick it in the garage.
    He doesnt use the bath....uses the shower and she did check that....
    You are all right in saying that it was too good to be true how quickly she got it.....dont know if she'll offer rails or not but I'm not that bad......just sometimes need to make sure Peter is in the house incase i do sieze up....hasnt happend yet. :lol:
    Speedy.....my back is no worse and no better. Mobility is worse since I had my hip done.....cant walk very far at all but I'm coping....dont think the physio is going to do much good but once again....I'm in the loop and I can drive there, not very far, so might as well keep up with it and see what happens.
    Hope you all have a great New Year.....and that Arthur goes on holidy for a long long time :lol:

Love
    Hileena