fibromyalgia

Options
babsdavies
babsdavies Member Posts: 2
edited 21. Dec 2010, 16:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
:( hi my name is babs and i was diagnosed with fibromyalgis a year ago, and i have been told that it is similar to arthritis, i dont know if this is true or not, it is only what i have been told. after many failed medications, i now only have solpodol to ease my pain. i have terrific pain in my fingers, hands, shoulders, elbows and feet. I have done a vast amount of cross stitch which i now find difficult to do. i am looking for some sort of hand support and would welcome any helpful advice and recommendations :roll:

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I'm very sorry for you, I believe fibro is very similar to arthritis, but dosn't cause the joint damage. I have OA, which is in a lot of my joints and i know how painful it is to do things and I've had to either do much less or stop some of my hobbies. I do card making and now I have to be careful not to spend more than about 1/2 an hour doing it. If you like sewing, can you do a little bit with a larger holed canvas? My neice has to do that now. Or maybe a drawing or painting class or group would get you out meeting people. Starting something new is a challenge, I know, but it can be very satisfying. It depends on you and your interests really.

If you are having a lot of pain, maybe it would be a good idea to discuss this with your doctor and see if he can prescribe something a bit stronger for you. It can take a long time to find the best pain medication. Also, some hospitals have pain clinics, which treat the pain as the problem, not the condition and they are very helpful. I've been to one and they have just changed my medication a bit and it works much better. I hope you find some answers to your problems, love Suexx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi babsdavies, it's nice to meet you. I am sorry, I don't have fibro so cannot help - you could try doing a search on this forum, it has been mentioned many times, something of interest might pop up. Alternatively, it might be quicker to ring the helpline (the number is at the top of the page) - they have all sorts of info at their disposal, I am sure they would have something on fibro. Your GP should be able to help with the pain relief: I have co-codamol 30/500 on repeat prescription, I think that might be very similar to Solpadol but I really am not sure of my facts on that. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Babs (and hello Sue and DD)

Welcome from me too Babs.

I don't know much about fibromyalgia (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis) but I think you may find some information about it on the "publications and resources" section of this website. I do know that some members of the forum have fibromyalgia and may well be able to advise.

In terms of hand support I am sure I have seen adverts for some sort of support gloves which are intended to help when doing craftwork etc (I think I have seen them advertised in cross stich magazines in the past. I don't know how good they are but maybe someone else on the forum has experience of these or some other suggestions.

Love Tilly xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Babs
    A very warm welcome to the forum,
    There are quite a few people on here with fibro, I am sure they will be along soon.
    Sorry you dont have anything that is helping with the pain, have you been referred to a pain clinic, if not ask your GP.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hi Babs Nice to meet you i'm Colin
    Babs do you take anti depressent.
    Do you suffer from The fibro fog
    Let me Know because i'm on a great medication for it.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi babs, I have Fibro & OA. I think the muscle stiffness,pain & fatigue are very hard to deal with.
    I take pregabalin, amptripyline (for sleep) Slow release & normal Tramadols, oramorph & diclofenacs. I find this combination of meds helps & ive tried various cocktails.
    I first got diagnosed with oa in 2008 & followd with fibro in oct 09, explained a lot of pains not assossiated with OA as the joint pain is different.

Hands, I have a soft thumb splint, a hard one & a full splint for both hands & got these from my occupational therapist at hospital. you can ask you gp to refer you if you think it would help. I use the different splints for levels of pain & what im doing.
    I hope that is some help, any other questions feel free to ask.
    debs