DLA done

Options
katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
edited 31. Dec 2010, 12:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
ive just completed and sent off my dla form,it took me ages to complete and now im so nervous! its like sending a child out into the world lol!i just hope i have done it properly,i found it so difficult!

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kat, good luck with it.. Did you remember to photocopy it all, I do it with all forms I send in now, blooming useless sometimes and lose things.. Also send it recorded delivery so you can track it..
    Sorry if that advise is too late though.. Hopefully things run very smooth for ya :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Kat
    Good luck with it, Its a relief when you have filled it in and sent it off.
    They sometimes ring you up to clarify a few things, just warning you, but they were quite nice and give me time to think.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Options
    ooo i knew i forgot something!! but i had written a lot of it in rough and kept them,im not very hopeful to be honest :(
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    will have everything crossed for you Kat..
    :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanneredshaw
    joanneredshaw Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi Katt just read your post, I applied for DLA back in Oct. It took 9 weeks before I had a letter saying they had turned me down. I was only trying to claim the first level of living allowance. So many people are being turned down.
    I may try again in 6 months or so. I photocopied my form so I knew what I had written.
    I have RA in both hands and feet, but chronic fatigue so I am only able to work for 3 hours a day. Pains in my shoulders, hips and legs due to myalgia and swollen ligaments.
    Good luck though! and Happy New Year x:rudolf

Jo
  • moodyblue
    moodyblue Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Kat, just seen your post. I have found that people are routinely turned down first time, strangely enough. So be ready to apply again almost immediately.
    The hospital gave me a booklet full of guidelines, reminding me to describe my worst days. And that made me feel dreadful, writing the truth about the state I'm in rather than the polite denial I use for most conversations...Oh I'm not too bad at the moment, thanks!
    Anyway, good luck!
  • PamieAFC1903
    PamieAFC1903 Member Posts: 899
    Options
    katknapp wrote:
    ive just completed and sent off my dla form,it took me ages to complete and now im so nervous! its like sending a child out into the world lol!i just hope i have done it properly,i found it so difficult!

I completed mine through the adobe type, save & print. Still to send it away as need a Updated Prescription list.
    I ♥ Runrig.

I live, sleep, eat and breathe Runrig!!!!!.
  • Rallymad
    Rallymad Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just read this, never had any bother getting my DLA through the first time I applied as had some help from one of the CAB agencies, second time I applied myself and got accepted for it again, now have had a letter sent to me telling me that they have received some information that tells them that I may not be entitled to it anymore?
    Admittedly I work full time (have RA in hands, hips, feet, poss knees and not sure about my spine?) my employers are the NHS and although sometimes they are overprotective we usually jog along fine. I used to be a co-driver in rally cars, my thoughts on this were, Ive got RA who knows how long I will be able to move independantly, get out there and grab life with both hands while I've got the chance!!! I have tried not to let this disease get me down but that has kinda knocked the wind out of my sails, that someone out there (and due to data protection act they cannot tell me who reported me) has a grudge against me all because they 'think' I look okay but do not see me when I come home from work, after trying to make the tea for the kids, going for a bath to ease the pain in my joints and being in bed for 7pm, almost every night, sometimes am lucky and get to stay up til 9pm!!!!! All I can do is give them the information they are looking for and a list of my medications which will hopefully make them realise I am not one of the many trying to cheat the system.
  • PamieAFC1903
    PamieAFC1903 Member Posts: 899
    Options
    Rallymad wrote:
    Hi all,
    Just read this, never had any bother getting my DLA through the first time I applied as had some help from one of the CAB agencies, second time I applied myself and got accepted for it again, now have had a letter sent to me telling me that they have received some information that tells them that I may not be entitled to it anymore?
    Admittedly I work full time (have RA in hands, hips, feet, poss knees and not sure about my spine?) my employers are the NHS and although sometimes they are overprotective we usually jog along fine. I used to be a co-driver in rally cars, my thoughts on this were, Ive got RA who knows how long I will be able to move independantly, get out there and grab life with both hands while I've got the chance!!! I have tried not to let this disease get me down but that has kinda knocked the wind out of my sails, that someone out there (and due to data protection act they cannot tell me who reported me) has a grudge against me all because they 'think' I look okay but do not see me when I come home from work, after trying to make the tea for the kids, going for a bath to ease the pain in my joints and being in bed for 7pm, almost every night, sometimes am lucky and get to stay up til 9pm!!!!! All I can do is give them the information they are looking for and a list of my medications which will hopefully make them realise I am not one of the many trying to cheat the system.

I first applied for DLA because of my Anxiety and HMS (which causes the pain etc) and was turned down.

This time, as I am sending it, I am going to see my GP to ask for a updated Prescription list (basically my repeat prescription) as I have changed inhalers for my asthma. The thing is my painkillers aren't on it because my GP doesn't beleive in it because of addiction etc. So I am worried about it. But I can only try and see once again as the pains goten worse since I applied.

It must have been difficult to have problems in your hands and be a co-driver (I'm rally daft, met the late great Colin McRae and his wee man Nicky Grist years ago) as I know you have to be quick with the pace notes.
    I ♥ Runrig.

I live, sleep, eat and breathe Runrig!!!!!.
  • Rallymad
    Rallymad Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi Pammie Annie
    Yes it was difficult to be a co-driver, but unlike a lot of people who sometimes bow down to the disease (RA)(and not saying everyone is like that!!!) I thought 'wot the hell' as Colin said, 'We are here for a good time!.....Not a long time!' It was only this years competing that I realised that I couldnt do it any more, there are a few people who are really annoyed at me for giving up, but then look at what has happened, someone out there with a grudge against me thinks am not entitled to my DLA. Where are they when I come home from work and am hardly able to make my 9yr old daughter something to eat? Where are they when the pain becomes so unbearable that I want to lie down and die...........
    I am not ready to leave this world for a long time yet lol and to hell with them, at least if they are talking about me they are leaving someone else alone!!
    Happy Ne'erday x