Driving after ankle fusion

Options
bobbyger
bobbyger Member Posts: 155
edited 30. May 2017, 02:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I'm going in for an ankle fusion in feb next year and was wondering if anyone out there has had one and how it affected their driving.

The fusion is on my right ankle.

Thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi bobbyger, I haven't had one so can't help, but I do wish you well and I hope the procedure helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi there bobbyger
    Just want to wish you luck with fusion.
    I haven't had one so I can't advise on that But, I have a false right leg. I have had a auto car for years and my OH has switched to accelerator to the other side so that i can now drive with my left foot.
    This could be an option for you perhaps if the fusion stops you from driving.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Bobbyger

there are people on here who have had this op, but sorry I am not one either, but want to wish you luck.

I was going to suggest something like Julie said might help if you dont have the felxibility, but i tend to think you will adapt.

Love

toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    There is only one answer for you, when it it is safe to do so. If after your op you can stamp your foot down, as in an emergency stop on brake or clutch without pain, then it is safe. Having had my toes done, the screws hold things in place but the fusion is not done until the bones knit together, so some time after that? You may find a firm sole will help you establish a firm footprint again?

I now have a semi-automatic, DSG (Fiat) gearbox, the clutch is servo assisted and the gears are controlled by software. Interestingly, the brake pressure on the pedal is less than a 'true' automatic since there is engine braking transfered through the gearbox. The jerky throttle response needs to be dealt with by learning to be more pro-active to the vehicles movements, but otherwise, stick it in auto and forget.

x8) Its a snowy xmas grin, honest!
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi, I don't have personal experience of an ankle fusion, but my friend's OH had one. He is able to do all he could do before, including driving, climbing ladders (which someone else said he'd never manage again etc) Only thing he can't do is put on knee length wellies ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys.

I guess everyone is different depending on the actual type of fusion and how supple the other joints in their foot are.
    I guess I will have to wait and see how it goes. Will let you all know in about 5/6 months after the op and once fully recovered.

Cheers and a merry xmas to all.

Rob
  • rb1234
    rb1234 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi

I have had both ankles fused. The recovery is quite lengthy (I've had other joints replaced and found the recovery quicker) so I wouldn't expect to be driving for a while. However I drive a manual car and a van and have no problems at all now. You learn to use your knees to push your feet on an off the pedals rather than flexing your ankle. You might need to amend your seat position.

Good luck with the surgery. If you want to private mail me with any questions you have you are very welcome
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    Bobby Ger
    I have an ankle fusion thats " on the way out ", and an ankle replacement on the right ankle as well.
    With the Fusion, I reckon you will have a 50 / 50 chance of driving a manual car with it. It depends if you have the bend in it to operate the clutch. I know I had trouble with it.
    Funny enough, the replacement in the right just about does the throttle without any problems.
    Good luck, maybe you would be better opting for an automatic, if all else fails. Alanthemanc
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Bumped up for Amie x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, dav123, from the moderation team. I know you will get lots of support from the members on here.

I am very sorry to hear you are facing ankle fusion surgery soon and have attached a link to the Arthritis Care information about surgery I hope it helps:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/treatments-aids-and-equipment/surgery-and-arthritis

This is a thread detailing Bobby's ankle fusion recovery - I hope it helps:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21968

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen