Hi I'm another newbie

Beachbaby
Beachbaby Member Posts: 5
edited 31. Dec 2010, 08:10 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone I've just joined. I thought I had my OA under control pretty well but after tripping up the stairs (better than down I suppose!) over a week ago, my left knee has been agony.

I have OA in my knees, thumbs, neck and left elbow. I'm 53 now but started having symptoms in my early 40's.

A consultant advised that I had damaged my knees by too much hill walking , being overweight and carrying on with the activity while in pain, making it worse. I had an arthoscopy on my left knee in 2007 and had lots of cartilage removed. It has taken until this year to feel stronger. I am gutted about it 'playing up' so badly again, as I had been enjoying walking again (not big hills) and been going to the gym and enjoying Pilates and Aqua fit. Which has helped with weight loss and given me strength.

Some of your stories and advice are so inspiring. I will not give in but start to strengthen my knee again gradually. I would add though, that despite recent publicity about Glucosamine, I KNOW it has helped my right knee which is nowhere near as troublesome as it used to be, even before I started the strengthening. I would also highly recommend Pilates which has helped my neck and lower back particularly. I now only have to visit a Chiropractor about 3 times a year rather than 6 times.
Happy Christmas everyone x:)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello beachbaby and welcome to the forums. I have different kind sort of arthritis to yours and take some pretty heavy-duty meds for it, but it's good to hear that glucosamine has made a difference to you - if you have been looking around then you will know that one of mantras on here is 'We are all different in how we react' and that is certainly true. It will take time for your knee to regain its strength, but in the meantime keep as active as you can, that keeps your muscles strong and so they better support your joints - all you can do is whatever you can to help yourself! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hello Beachbaby why your just a nipper yet.
    sorry to hear your in so much pain look out for those stairs and yes better to fall up than down.
    Your going to like this place its full of really nice people. Just start posting on the fourum
    Take care
    Colin
    c025.gif
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Beachbaby
    Thank you both for your lovely replies. x:)

Because they inflame my Asthma I can't take any Anti-inflammatory drugs, I did try. I can't take Ibuprofen because it has the same effect. I found Asprin better than Paracetamol but because of the Steroids in my Asthma drugs, I found they made bruising much worse.
    I now just take regular Paracetamol and occasional Co-codamol if really bad.
    Does anyone have any experience of natural anti-inflammatory preparations? I have wondered about some of the pills I see in Health magazines. Apart from Glucosamine I do take Omega 3 Fish Oil
    Thanks again for your replies x:)
  • dreamdaisy
    I have never found any natural products to be beneficial but then I have PA which is an immune-based problem, not a wear-and-tear one. Ginger is suppposed to be a good anti-inflammatory, also beetroot and celery. My mum swears by her Omega whatsits, but then she ain't got arthritis, she just likes to think that she has. If glucosamine has worked for you then it seems the natural extension. I wish you well. DD
  • Beachbaby
    Thank you dreamdaisy. I might just try the ginger x:)
  • dreamdaisy
    We use fresh ginger a great deal in this household - infused as a tea, or crushed into food etc. As I say it hasn't done anything spectacular for me (neither did six months of eating increased amounts of beetroot and celery, as told by a homeopath) but then I do have the wrong sort of arthritis. The drugs I take for the PA have effectively knocked my immune system on the head, so there is no measurable inflammation in my joints and no asthma or eczema either - now I bet you're jealous! (That is typed with a grin and said in a light-hearted voice!) Have a look on the LWA forum - a chap called Vishal (I presume a chap) has posted at length about ayurvedic medicine - he has other tips too. (LWA = living with arthritis). Do a search on members on his name and the threads he has posted on should pop up. I think. This is a new forum layout for us and I am still getting to grips with it! DD
  • Beachbaby
    That's brilliant, thanks for the tip.

I must admit my ignorance, I thought there were only two types of Arthritis: OA and RA. I must do more research!

My youngest daughter has RA, but it has been quiet for a long time now and I hope and pray it continues to stay that way.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll let you know how I get on x:)
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Welcome from me too Beachbaby, hope you're well tonight?

My knees are bad with OA too, have been for a lot of years, also spine and probably hip... Now have RA in my hands/wrists.. Oh joy of joys, lol.

Enjoy the forum :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Beachbaby

belated hello form me!

I hope you had a happy Christmas too and

t07007.gif