Humira, paté and soft cheese, eg brie

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 23. Dec 2010, 15:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
As we all know there are many discrepancies in what we are told across the country regarding the drugs we take. I suddenly thought of this fact, which I was told when I began humira: I am not to eat paté or a soft unpasteurised cheese such as a proper brie or camembert (all of which I bought today for the others to enjoy over Christmas). I cannot remember the reason why - must be summat to do with pasteurisation process, or lack thereof. Why is it always the stuff that one likes that is suddenly a no-no? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD,

not posted for a few days due to illness (this new drug has played havoc with my digestive system!) but came across your post and i think i remember why we are supposed to avoid these foods. Its because they can increase chances of food poisoning, and with us all being immunosuppressed by our meds i guess we are more at risk. I've developed a lactose intolerance since i've been on meth, so cant have cheese or chocolate this christmas :(

I think it is all down to whether or not its worth the risk (but camembert is so good!)

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello DD

I think I was told the same thing - and as you and Jenny say, I think it is to do with pasteurisation (or lack thereof) and the increased potential for salmonella and other assorted nasties for those with suppressed immune systems.

Tilly xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I was reading my humira leaflet the other day and was reminded not to eat goats cheese, pate and to be careful with shellfish and wash your veg and fruit before eating and it is to do with listeria, samonella and such like poisons and bacterias that our immune systems would struggle to cope with.
    Having said that i am looking forward to some pate this Christmas.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hi there
    I wan never told that when i was on Humira
    But then it did not agree with me perhaps it was all the pate i ate
    Colin
    c025.gif
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The best camembert is the one that crawls out of the wrapping to greet you. (Croons gently) 'Ah yes, I remember it well . . . . . '

Sodding arthritis.
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    interesting post thank you
    i am not on said meds and dont like the foods mentioned but fore warned is forarmed x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Thanks for this interesting information .. I knew you had to avoid them, but didn't quite understand why!

Marion
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I'm going to pretend that I never heard this, never saw it and knew nothing about it for a few days.........there is this lump of Stilton just sitting there looking at me...........

Annie
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    I am advised that because of the new blip in my
    life I am not to eat nuts.
    Just think of all those pea, wal and cashew nuts
    that will escape my munching jaws this Christmas.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Having had a life affected by food intolerances from the word go, I can assure you it's always the things one likes, enjoys and loves that one has to avoid. I loathe gristly sausages and runny eggs and greasy bacon - but I could eat that until the cows come home. I adore crawling camembert - big, fat no-no. Typical. DD