MBST® Magnetic Resonance Therapy to treat Osteoarthritis

2»

Comments

• sturge8
    sturge8 Member Posts: 164
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi All

Its August now, 6 months post MBST therapy and afraid to say for £400 I haven't experienced much in the way of pain relief. Perhaps I can see a slight reduction in inflammation but its nothing to go and shout about.

I regret not having the 9 hours of treatment in Feb, but to be fair, I had 5 hours, so I can't believe having the extra 4 hours would of made much of a difference.

I still may go back for my yearly top up next year which is recommended to all patients, the top up is 3 hours of MBST therapy.

MBST therapy was for me a let down. I was even graded as a good candidate for it, so I wonder how someone would fair if they were classed as a poor candidate.

I did everything I could to ensure it worked, but sadly the results aren't what I was hoping for.

Back to the drawing board I think.

For anyone who is thinking of trying it, don't let my blog put you off. I was told 80% of patients report good levels of pain relief after the therapy. I'm just gutted that I have fell into the 20% bracket for whom it doesn't work for. We are all different, so I keep hearing.
  • annclare
    annclare Member Posts: 9
    I have just read up on your progress and was concerned to read that you have not had the positive results that you had hoped for. I would have liked to have seen you as a patient but realise the distance to travel was a bit far. As I have not been able to assess your ankle myself in person I cannot give specific advice on your particular treatment outcome.

I have assessed and applied MBST to a number of ankle and foot problems, many of these have been sports related injuries that have responded well to MBST. Having looked back at previous treatments I have carried out over 300 MBST treatments. Of those just under half are treatments for arthritis related conditions. Of those I would say knee treatments account for a third, neck, spine and back treatments account for another third and the remainder is made up of hip of shoulder treatments.

Ankle arthritis is quite uncommon and to date I have never specifically done any foot or ankle treatments for arthritis. This is one of the reasons it would have been great to see you as a patient. To date for all the arthritis related treatments that have been done there have been none that have not responded successfully. By this I mean that patients have been able to do things that their conditions had previously prevented them from doing.

I always explain to patients that they need to manage their condition and treatment to get the best possible outcome. If exercise is prescribed then it is important that the exercise is undertaken to the level it was prescribed so as not to under do or overdo the exercises and also not to overdo activities. I advise patient to be steadier during the 10 week MBST effect.

As with any type of treatment whether it is a course of medication, an operation or any form of treatment there can never be a 100% guarantee of full success. As a physiotherapist it is my job to assess the patient and their potential success with any treatment available. I am well aware of the limitations of MBST where for example there would not be a successful outcome if the treatment was applied to a knee that had no remaining cartilage in the joint.
  • sturge8
    I was expecting you to provide better end results for your OA suffering patients than "patients have been able to do things that their conditions had previously prevented them from doing". Such as proof by mri scans showing an increase or smoothing out of cartilage. Reports from patients saying they have noticed dramatic pain relief and such like. The results which you have given aren't convincing enough for me, sorry.

Like I said before, I haven't totally given up with MBST as it could have contributed to my slight reduction in inflammation around my ankle joint. I am partly sure I will return for my top up next year at my local clinic to see how I fair.
  • sturge8
    I've had my yearly MBST therapy top up and still I feel no noticeable reduction in my pain levels. I only really gave it another shot because I thought with the stem cell injection I had 6 months previous, the combo of both may actually work a small miracle. Regrettably no small miracle yet to report of. Just when I had given up with my local clinic, I receive a letter from them, asking me to participate in a small clinical trial. The trial is free and involves a cellular test. The test is to determine if there is a correlation of cell health with the success of MBST therapy. Obviously it'll take 12months of data capture before results can be released. But it might tell me if my cells are suitable for the treatment.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    Hi Sturge

l am so sorry. Having said that l think at least you tried didn't you??

The news about the clinical trial is fantastic though :) Fingers crossed for you that it produces some useful information and even better that maybe your cells will be suitable.

Love

Toni xxx
  • sturge8
    Ok so I had the cellular test and I turned out to be the healthiest person who's been tested in the trial so far. My cell hydration levels are good as well as all the other levels which were tested. I've just ruined the theory of unhealthy cells = poor results from MBST therapy. I did say to the clinician that I have fallen arches which do result in a lot of abnormal pressure to my troubled ankle. Perhaps the MBST therapy simply can't repair the cells faster than I destroy them due to my misalignment. I do consciously wear orthotics as much as possible to correct the alignment, however walking around the house in slippers, showering etc does not allow me to wear my orthotics. I have ordered some scripted Birkos from USA which I intend to wear around the house, so this should result in me constantly wearing orthotics apart from showering. I'll blog how they are once I have received them and had them checked by my podiatrist. They could be something I could recommend to others.

MBST therapy is working for some people, i'd still ask people to try it, if they would like to reduce their OA pain levels, but first learn your bodies mechanics firstly. See a podiatrist, fallen arches can effect your ankles, knees, hips and back. Work from the bottom up.
  • pdmac01
    pdmac01 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm new to this site and look forward to speaking to people and getting advice on knee issues that I have.

I'm a seasoned runner and have competed in many a marathon, and for some time now have had problems with my knees.

In the past 4 years I have had bilateral surgery and a further two operations on my left knee, both times Plica and medial meniscus.

After surgery I have been almost pain free each time, and able to return to running after rehab. However I have now started to get severe medial pain and swelling to my left knee, and it is really starting to have an effect on my quality of life.

After some research I came across MRT, and it sounds as though it is a major break through for people with joint problems.

Can anybody advise me on clinics practising this procedure in the Midlands, and also anyone who has undergone treatment, and the results.

Many Thanks and great to be aboard.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    Hello pdmac01 and welcome on board. There may be others on there who have tried this therapy but sturge is the only one I can think of and, as you'll see from reading this thread, it doesn't seem to have helped much. It's possible to chuck a lot of money at arthritis with nothing to see for it at all. I'd doubt that arthritis and marathons are very compatible but we all have to find our own route to acceptance. I wish you luck with yours.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • pdmac01
    pdmac01 Member Posts: 2
    Hello pdmac01 and welcome on board. There may be others on there who have tried this therapy but sturge is the only one I can think of and, as you'll see from reading this thread, it doesn't seem to have helped much. It's possible to chuck a lot of money at arthritis with nothing to see for it at all. I'd doubt that arthritis and marathons are very compatible but we all have to find our own route to acceptance. I wish you luck with yours.

Hi Sticky wicket,

Many thanks for your reply. I have read Sturge's threads, hopefully he will have success with his treatment. I look forward to his updates in a few months and wish him the best of luck. I'm back with my surgeon towards the end of Jan I will wait out until then. Regards
  • stevew
    stevew Member Posts: 25
    Hi All. I have recently completed the full nine treatments of MBST at the centre just outside Stamford Lincs. It is very early days to offer any serious comment on the effectiveness of the treatment but I do feel it has had some effect already. I am a fit and active 63 year old male, still rowing, cycling,walking,swimming and working at a normal pace. The OA is in my left hip and it was caused by an accident when I was thrown from the front of a car several years ago. I will let you know how it goes on a weekly basis but to be honest i am a little sceptical whilst still retaining some degree of hope and an optimistic attitude. If it does work to any significant level it will be the best thing since sliced bread as far as i am concerned.
    Regards
    Steve
  • sturge8
    Hi Stevew, it's good to hear that your wiling to give it a go. Which clinic did you use? Did you know if you were on the most up to date mbst therapy bed. My local clinic have upgraded, it has half a hoop either side rather than a tunnel. Keep us up to date with your progress, if any.