Arthritis n00b

CreekyJoints
CreekyJoints Member Posts: 6
edited 31. Dec 2010, 08:13 in Say Hello Archive
Heya hi, everyone! I'm Jenny and I was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. It isn't the end of the world and it isn't the end of my life, but it certainly isn't fun. Although I'm only 25 years old, I'm guessing I obtained arthritis over time from too much physical activity. You name a sport, chances are I've played it. I've wrestled, played basketball, football, baseball -- everything! I'm just a girl who loves sports. Unfortunately, I wore my body out. I guess all of those "you better calm down relax" mantras my mom spouted suddenly make sense now.

Either way, I'm glad to be here. I'm hoping that by joining the conversation, I can learn more about treating arthritis and how I can keep up with my exercises while not pushing myself too hard.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday! Take care, guys and gals! :))

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, RA is an immune-system based arthritis, your days of great exercise play no part in it - that is more an OA (osteo arthritis) problem. Your body is attacking itself, possibly out of sheer boredom! I have PA, psoriatic arthritis, it's like RA but with the addded benefit of skin trouble. They are both treated in a similar way - I take the same drugs as RAers. We all react
    differently to the meds, and I sincerely hope you can find the combination to suit you. A positive outlook is half the battle, but remember we are here for the down days too. I wish you well - I am off to bed now, I have shot my bolt today trying to live as a normal 51 year old woman would on the run-up to Christmas - I should know better by now! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Jenny, welcome from me too.. Hope you're not suffering too much at the minute..
    I have both OA & RA, guess I am just a lucky chap :o:lol:

Hope you find the forum as useful as I have... The 'living with' section is great for advice etc, the chit-chat bit is where you find us loons hanging about most of the time, lol... Good for a laugh and a natter on there..

Be well, have a wonderful Christmas, hope to see you posting..

:))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hello Jenny and welcome from me too!

Sorry to hear of your RA diagnosis but glad you have found us! As a couple of other peeps have said, RA is not a "wear and tear" arthritis, so rest assured that your sporting activities are not the cause. If you need more information about RA, there are some useful publications on this website and the "Living with Arthritis" forum is a mine of information too.

Look forward to seeing you posting!

Love Tilly (another Ra’er)x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi jenny

(aka Creaky!)

good to meet you sorry about the RA, but glad you found us lot - we can be good fun and at least have one common foe!

Love

toni xx