Sales!.

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 27. Dec 2010, 12:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
Do you think that Jesus was really a shop owner instead of the so called "son of God"?, I mean all we do is spend masive amounts of cash on land fill. All we have on the news today is how the boxing day sales are going. these people must be glutons for punishment the've just spent weeks fighting the hords of sheep for things no one really needs or wants and now they are telling us to get back out there and repeat the same torture, if that's what being normal is then count me out.
These shop owners really take the rise every year by dangling so called price cuts at the poor sap's the've just ripped off, from what I hear it's a total con as only the odd thing that didn't sell before crimbo is reduced in a desperate effort to fleece us again and from what I can see it's working quite well!, if people can't see though it then be it on their own head they deserve all the stress they get for being daft enough to actually go so there!.
Crimbo is a con anyway it's just a story that's had an unhealthy dollop Chinese whispers over the years.
What really stund me was on radio Oxford the other day there was some Christian priest who admitted that the date for the "baby Jesuse's" birthday was only chosen to distract people from the Pagan's winter solstice a few day's before, as they didn't like all the revelry as they the Pagans had a right old rare old time of it and the puritans just couldn't stand the thought of them getting drunk and leching over the local tallent and that's why it's on the 25th, it's all made up!, it's a date that means F all yet this turnip was spouting about how special the date feels even though it's not real one yeah whatever so why do Christians hate Pagans so badly when all they want to do is be left alone to have a good old knees up, maybe the pick on them as the are placid and none confrontational so are an easy target. x:rudolf

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh you two cynics.. Lol
    Next you'll be telling me Santa and the Easter bunny aren't real! :)) :o:o:))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Oh you two cynics.. Lol
    Next you'll be telling me Santa and the Easter bunny aren't real! :)) :o:o:))

Nope there not but the little green pixies are coz I seen em at the local Pagan winter Solsitce the other evening!, maybe it had something to do with those little mushrooms I was necking down that night?.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    those mushrooms are great with chicken stew! Lol

Think that's why I'm a tad daft, wibble :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hey mellman, a crimbly rant! Good on yer - you have made my world safe, secure and comfortable again. Of course it's all fake (nativity etc) and of course the timing of it all is supect (give me the 21st as a celebratory day any time, it makes much more sense). Why does man feel the need to explain everything? Why we are here, where we all came from, what is the point of life and what happens after it? None of it matters. It is as it is.

Religion is a necessary crutch for some, it gives their life a structure, a purpose, a reason, a guide, a comfort - and that is not a bad thing. A moral framework for life is required by society to create a sense of order: a society that is based on everyone doing what they want, how they want, where they want and with whom they want won't necessarily work that well. It's the smug, self-satisfaction of some who 'believe' that gets on my wick, their utter lack of tolerance for anyone else's thoughts or ideas. That's where things can go wrong, occsaionally. (A mild understatment, yes? :) ) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Mellman - i would have thought a man of your knowledge would have known about the so called birth date of Jesus. Apparently it was some Roman chap, forgot name, who tried to tie in a load of christian religious dates with pagan ones so they would be more accepted etc etc, long story, but Jesus was born in July or thereabouts. Also theres a load of scrolls bunged somewhere, not even translated yet - why not?
    Theres other gospels, would like to know what theyre all about. Why doesnt some scholar, who i am sure would love to go through them, translate them? Im sure if theres something that would throw evertything we ever knew into turmoil that people would still carry on believing what they have already believed etc.
    Sales - things you need/like such as my new coat ARENT in the sale, things you quite like sometimes are in the sale. I did buy some 70% off xmas cards in sainsburys today with my pizza though. And DD i tried to be good but bought a rucksack BUT i might be giving this as a present.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hey mellman, a crimbly rant! Good on yer - you have made my world safe, secure and comfortable again. Of course it's all fake (nativity etc) and of course the timing of it all is supect (give me the 21st as a celebratory day any time, it makes much more sense). Why does man feel the need to explain everything? Why we are here, where we all came from, what is the point of life and what happens after it? None of it matters. It is as it is.

Religion is a necessary crutch for some, it gives their life a structure, a purpose, a reason, a guide, a comfort - and that is not a bad thing. A moral framework for life is required by society to create a sense of order: a society that is based on everyone doing what they want, how they want, where they want and with whom they want won't necessarily work that well. It's the smug, self-satisfaction of some who 'believe' that gets on my wick, their utter lack of tolerance for anyone else's thoughts or ideas. That's where things can go wrong, occsaionally. (A mild understatment, yes? :) ) DD

I once asked someone how they coped with certain stresses of life and they said their religion got them through it. I thought what would happen if some spanner was thrown in the works so to speak and religion and everything everyone knew wasnt right how would they cope?
    BTW i am not meaning to be offensive to anyone here,just opening up mind to a thought.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah oneday, I know that scenario: the thoughts along the lines of that's a lovely bag, it'd make a good present for . . . . . :) . I am avoiding the shops. I don't have the legs for shopping, the stamina or the money. Poo. Carry on the good work on my behalf, please. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben