Mattress Toppers

Mad
Mad Member Posts: 5
edited 31. Dec 2010, 12:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've reached the stage where I cannot sleep on an ordinary mattress without getting a lot of pain in my hips. I am considering buying one of the memory foam mattress toppers, as I feel this would help as they are so much softer. Has anybody done this? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mad,

People swear by the toppers but I like heat... so use a duvet under the sheet.. well 2 now an it might do a very similar job except you ca use the over blanket and hottles..... I get very cold and don't generate heat so for me the toppers might not be a good idea but the duvets work.....

Nice to meet you and welcome to the mad house.... Cris x
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    brilliant things!
    buy one.
    Also try putting pillow under your legs above knees if lying on back as helps with pain from back and hips.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member Posts: 140
    Hi,

I'd definately recommend buying one, if not a whole memory foam matress! I have OA in various places, including my back, and an as yet undiagnosed long-term pain in my right hip, both of which are significantly improved since buying a memory foam matress. (It turned out to be cheaper to buy an entire matress during a sale, than to buy a decent quality topper of reasonable thickness.)

I find the matress feels quite warm to sleep on too,

Naomi
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Mad and welcome,

I have a memory foam mattress topper - mid price range and it made a big difference, that and cushion between the legs when side lying to support the top leg. However must agree with Cris - when at a friend's house - I really missed the mattress topper and so she put a really thick duvet under my bottom sheet and it was great.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi.. It's one of the best things we have bought for me, I cannot sleep without it so now take it with us when we go to my Mum's etc.. I also use a four foot feather bolster to place between the knees, would not be without either now..

:))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I have a memory foam mattress topper and it was one of my best investments. My very best investment was a memory foam pillow. HEAVENLY if you get a sore neck when sleeping. I did but I don't anymore. Back on topic, I'd definitley recommend a mattress topper. I got a 3 inch one, apparently the 1.5 inch ones aren't as good.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hello Mad

I have no experience of the toppers I'm afraid (although reading the other posts I think I might investigate...) but just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Love Tilly xxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    I wouldn't be without mine, in fact we've got two as I couldn't find a 3" one, so have two 1.5".

They go everywhere with me! Also have a mem foam pillow and couldn't live without it, I made hubby bring it into hospital for me when I was in earlier in the year.

Annie
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi, I've got a caravan mattress topper....dosent seem to work well on the bed but does on the caravan bed.....havent got round to buying one for the bed in the house but I used a duvet under my sheet. I have a lovely thick goose and down one....but at the moment its so cold I have that over me and a couple of thinner ones under me. If you have a spare one try it while you are sussing out the toppers.

Love
    Hileena
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Only other thing I will say is that you should go for a good quality thick one or as suggested by Annie, put two thinner ones on top of each other... :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Mad
    Mad Member Posts: 5
    Thank you so much for your replies, I am definitely going to look into buying a good thick one now. Thank you also for welcoming me to the forum!
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    i got one too, is true you are warmer sleeping on one than on a mattress i find that, but i would not be without mine, in fact i taken mine on holiday with me.

in the future i thinking of buying a memory foam matteress when the one we got needs replacing.

i would definitely recommend one.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • Nellyphant
    Nellyphant Member Posts: 27
    Mad wrote:
    I've reached the stage where I cannot sleep on an ordinary mattress without getting a lot of pain in my hips. I am considering buying one of the memory foam mattress toppers, as I feel this would help as they are so much softer. Has anybody done this? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Brilliant things. Bought one specifically for the bed at my Mum's house too as trekking ours across country was becoming a pain! We have a mattress with one built in now. Our topper is on our spare bed and we have converted a fair few visitors into getting one for their own beds.
  • Rallymad
    Rallymad Member Posts: 84
    I have a memory foam topped mattress and found it did not give me the comfort I thought Id get from it so bought another foam topper, this was good for a while. Now Ive just bought (literally!) a new mattress, its and intellagel mattress, made up of squares of gel that move with you and is supposed to work wonders on inflammation, sleep etc. Will keep you updated on how it goes, unless anyone else has one and can let me know the outcome x:)