Hello

Options
Geoff71
Geoff71 Member Posts: 49
edited 2. Jan 2011, 16:38 in Say Hello Archive
Hi There,

My name is Geoff and Im 39 years’ old living in Bedfordshire. I thought I would check this site out and introduce myself. I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my ankle and had a “clean up job” on it earlier this year which hasn’t worked, it looks like I now have to have a fusion. I think I also have arthritis in my wrist, and elbow. The whole thing is getting me down and everything seems to take so long to sort- I feel like Im getting nowhere very quickly!!!!, anyone out there in a similar situation?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Geoff71, it's nice to meet you - welcome to the forums but I am sorry you had to find us! What a shame that your ankle hasn't been helped that much - arthritis of any form isn't something that can be sorted out quickly, which is a nuisance! I shall shortly be starting my 15th year of my version, I have PA (psoriatic arthritis) which is an immune-system based one. Yours sounds more like OA (osteo arthritis) is that right? Meds wise there is not a lot to be done for that sort, one can take anti-inflammatories and pain dullers, that's about it. The helpline here has a wealth of information about the various forms of arthritis and their treatments, it might be worth your giving them a ring. Some people also take glucosamine supplements etc tho there is not much evidence that they actually help: one of the things that one very quickly learns here is that what works for one person might not necessarily work for another. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Geoff and welcome from me too!

If you re-post your message on the Living with Arthritis (LWA) forum it will be seen by more people because most of us look there regularly.

Sorry that your arthritis is getting you down, but you will be in good company on here and will, I'm sure, find it helpful to chat to others in a similar situation.

Love Tilly xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Welcome from me too Geoff, sorry that the clean up didn't work, I've had a few similar things done on my knees, some have worked for a while, others not at all....

Hope you find your way around here, we're a friendly bunch and between us have a good bunch of knowledge etc..

Be well, see you around the forum..

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi geoff

these things dont seem to sort out too quickly do they? Dificult to accept when you just want it sorted and life back to 'normal'.

I hope we can help/support you while you get to the bottom of it all

Love

Toni xx
  • Geoff71
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello Geoff71, it's nice to meet you - welcome to the forums but I am sorry you had to find us! What a shame that your ankle hasn't been helped that much - arthritis of any form isn't something that can be sorted out quickly, which is a nuisance! I shall shortly be starting my 15th year of my version, I have PA (psoriatic arthritis) which is an immune-system based one. Yours sounds more like OA (osteo arthritis) is that right? Meds wise there is not a lot to be done for that sort, one can take anti-inflammatories and pain dullers, that's about it. The helpline here has a wealth of information about the various forms of arthritis and their treatments, it might be worth your giving them a ring. Some people also take glucosamine supplements etc tho there is not much evidence that they actually help: one of the things that one very quickly learns here is that what works for one person might not necessarily work for another. I wish you well. DD
    Hi DD, thanks for your message they still havnt told me what type I have!- I saw the GP on friday, was some blood results, part of the test was about the swelling of the joints, the GP said that the normal level was "5" and Mine was 60! so im now really worried what that means. He has also prescribed with with a new medication called celecoxib. I will check out the rest of site and helpline
    c ya
  • Geoff71
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi geoff

these things dont seem to sort out too quickly do they? Dificult to accept when you just want it sorted and life back to 'normal'.

I hope we can help/support you while you get to the bottom of it all

Love

Toni xx

Hi Toni

thanks for your reply and keep in touch - I have so many questions to ask! -
  • Geoff71
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Welcome from me too Geoff, sorry that the clean up didn't work, I've had a few similar things done on my knees, some have worked for a while, others not at all....

Hope you find your way around here, we're a friendly bunch and between us have a good bunch of knowledge etc..

Be well, see you around the forum..

:grin:

Thanks Tony see you around
  • Geoff71
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Hello Geoff and welcome from me too!

If you re-post your message on the Living with Arthritis (LWA) forum it will be seen by more people because most of us look there regularly.

Sorry that your arthritis is getting you down, but you will be in good company on here and will, I'm sure, find it helpful to chat to others in a similar situation.

Love Tilly xxx
    Thanks Tilly - i will put some more posts on LWA as i have loads of questions to ask
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ah, celebrex: I loved that anti-inflammatory, it worked very well for me but my GP replaced it with naproxen (for reasons of economy). I am glad that I saved him a few pence in his budget but I do miss the celebrex as it actually worked.

It sounds as tho you have had either your CRP or ESR measured: both are measures of inflammation and 60 ain't that bad - in the past I have had both figures at 150 and higer, one can still function with such high levels of swelling, not that well, admittedly, but one can! You aree now sounding more like an RA case now, but I guess we wil just have to wait and see. I hope today is going OK for you - try not to overdo anything! DD
  • Geoff71
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Ah, celebrex: I loved that anti-inflammatory, it worked very well for me but my GP replaced it with naproxen (for reasons of economy). I am glad that I saved him a few pence in his budget but I do miss the celebrex as it actually worked.

It sounds as tho you have had either your CRP or ESR measured: both are measures of inflammation and 60 ain't that bad - in the past I have had both figures at 150 and higer, one can still function with such high levels of swelling, not that well, admittedly, but one can! You aree now sounding more like an RA case now, but I guess we wil just have to wait and see. I hope today is going OK for you - try not to overdo anything! DD
    This is becoming clearer now! it was for CRP i feel a lot better after your last entry, you know my GP was convinced the pain was caused by Gout (my uric levels are fine) - Off for more blood tests on tuesday including checking for RA (does that sound right) - I will let you know how i get on- do you struggle on a day to day basis and how do you cope?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Do I struggle? Oh yes. How do I cope? I have no idea, tho sheer bloody-mindedness plays a part. RA will not necessarily show on a blood test: my PA is what is termed 'sero-negative', i.e. I do not register a positive rheumatoid factor. It took a number of years for me to be diagnosed - nine in total. I am not doing that well tonight, to be honest: Christmas has taken its toll. I will be back, and in better form, tomorrow. Take care. DD