Injections in back.

Options
fudge
fudge Member Posts: 78
edited 7. Jan 2011, 05:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, here to ask for information or advice about having injections in the back. Recently had 6 between ribs and pelvis. If there are members who have had injections, is it normal for the lower abdomen to go numb and feel very heavy? It was a rather unpleasant feeling, can only describe it as after a trip to the dentist and it seeming as though the lip was swollen and large, but on a larger scale. Would appreciate any information, thank you.
fudge.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Injections of what, for what? I hope things ease soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fudge
    Options
    Ohh dear, that information would have helped !
    I have osteoarthritis in my spine and various other joints, the injections were steroid and anaesthetic, given to relieve pain and hopefully improve my stability, have a tendency to fall over.
    They did not improve either, but I am curious about the numb tum!
    fudge
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Steroids are contrary beasts, fudge. I would dearly love to answer properly but I am shot to bits after a Christmas spent tending to elderly mums. I have a different form of arthritis to you and I can genuinely say that steroid injections, whether into joints or a general depo into my bum, have made no long-lasting difference whatsoever. The thought is that they could be effective for up to three months - I have had about three days, tops, or three hours , usually. C'est la vie. Once I am restored to my usual ebulliance I will try to do a proper answer. 2012 be OK for that? :grin: Take care and a happy new year to you. DD
  • fudge
    Options
    Thank you for your replies Dream Daisy, I did not have much hope for the injections but you have to give every thing a chance.
    Wishing you a good evening, and all the very best to you for 2011.

fudge.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think it is wise not to hold out much hope, that way pleasant surprises can occur. We will chat soon, I hope. DD
  • amboritic
    amboritic Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Where they Facet Joint Injections?

I have requested these from my GP after being advised to request them by a private consultant, my GP said why, aren't the CoDydramol working?

When I explained that they have never worked since my Rheummy suggested the change from CoCodomol, he still didn't say much.

I firmly believe that our situation is worsened by a GP that is slightly dismissive.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    hi fudge, happy new yr firstly... How you've had a good night and aren't suffering too much, unlike me who can't blooming sleep for pain, lol...
    I'm having some spine injections done on the seventh, will post re effects afterwards, hopefully I will be of some help then, could it be the aneasthetic part of the injection that made you go numb?.this is the first time I will be having these kind, have had rituals in the past but they dint work for me....
    Either way I hope relief follows for you...

Be well :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • fudge
    Options
    Hell and happy new year to you.
    amboritic, I am not sure of exact name of injections, was just told the Facet Joints, pelvis and hip " there is a bit of a mess in there".
    The upper part of my spine is also affected, have scoliosis and arthritis there as well, there is a reluctance to treat this at the present time, just keep taking the pain killers and anti-spasm meds.
    tjt6768 - hope all goes well for you on the 7th, over the years I have had various treatments, some have helped on specific joints though no cure is available, just attempts to relieve pain.

Well having written all this, I now see I started with 'Hell and happy new year to you, I did of course mean Hello - I am not deleting and starting again, so please forgive the slip.

tjt, yes it probably was the anaesthetic that caused the numbness, I just wondered why it affected the abdomen and is that normal.

I am due to go back next month, for more injections had the last ones worked, they didn't , so I don't know what or if there will be 'a lets try this' see if it works, or just keep taking the tablets and keep on smiling .

Thanks for the replies, sorry for delay in getting back to you.

fudge.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I liked the beginning! I think quite a few of us are hovering round the portals of that particular place at the moment, it's the post-Christmas/New Year payback time for many. I would have thought that if there is any benefit to be had you would be feeling it by now: I hope things have improved for you, if only a little - that's still better than nothing. Keep in touch, let us know how you get on. DD
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Hi I have been having these for the last year every 3 months , they did work in the begining but the last lot didnt . As for the numb feeling I have had it for a couple of hours with the anasthetic injections some times it as lasted long than other times . Hope they can sort you out soon . Happy New Year ....jilly
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Hello , Fudge , I've never had these injections in my back ( it sounds painful ) , but have had them in my knees and bum in the past . Like DD I really didn't notice much if any benefit but really hope it will help you . Jilly
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Hi again fudge, I just realised that I put rituals in my post, I meant epidurals... Lol
    I'm not some kind of arthritic satanic nutjob... Well, at least I don't think so.. Haha
    Hows things today? Hope the numbness has worn off and that you've started to get some benefit.
    I had my knees done a few weeks ago and it took a few days but was great for a while.. Maybe four or give weeks, then the pain came back with a vengeance... I was happy with what relief I did get though as my knees haven't felt that good for about twenty years.. Lol
    I have also been having a steroid injection in mi bum every three months or so at the rheumys..

Best wishes
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • fudge
    Options
    Hello tjt - rituals sounded about right to me, don't know about the satanic part - deal with the devil may be an option though lol.

Was October when I had injections, numbness in the tum lasted almost 24 hours, the back was just sore at injection site's - so numb in the wrong place. Glad to hear they worked for your knee's that was some pain less to put up with at least.

Hope the ' ritual ' of the epidural in your back goes well on Friday - good thing it not the 13th !!

fudge.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Fudge

I have had Facet Joint Injections in my lower back and it got rid of sciatica that I had suffered with for 7 months. I had the injections on 9 December 2009 and since then, so far (touch wood) have had no sciatica symptoms returning. I was told that I had a 50/50 chance of it working for me because he could only inject L4 and not L5 because there was not enough space. He did have 15 tries as I could see the needle marks! He finally gave up and gave me a steroid injection in L5. I was put to sleep during the procedure which does not take any length of time at all. I had no post injection problems.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Thanks fudge, don't think these will be epidurals like last time, maybe similar to the ones Elna has just described, not sure if I am going to be knocked out or not though... Have stayed awake through a lot worse, lol....

Have three appointments this month, injections friday, rheumy 17th and physio on 21st (I think)... Also, heart failure clinic with OH this month too... What a way to start the year, haha..

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjc123
    tjc123 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Hi Fudge

I have been offered these injections in my lower back today.
    I have to go back in 3 month to see how things are & talk about having the injections done.Ive never had anything done like this before Im not sure what to do...but if it eases my pain :?:
    tjc
  • tjt6768
    Options
    tjc123 wrote:
    Hi Fudge

I have been offered these injections in my lower back today.
    I have to go back in 3 month to see how things are & talk about having the injections done.Ive never had anything done like this before Im not sure what to do...but if it eases my pain :?:
    tjc

Hi TJC, I will let you know how I go on with mine, they may not be exactly the same though and we're all different, but keep an eye out and I will let you all know how they go...

Be well
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • fudge
    Options
    Hello, made sure I got the 'o' in this time. Thanks for all replies, have not been able to get back as my broadband went off, just had a text to say I am back on line.

Glad the injection worked for you Elna, it would seem to be a suck it and see situation, the consultant told me before I had them they might work - then again might not, anything is worth a try, maybe when I go back he could use a stronger dose - I don't know, other options have been tried or ruled out though at this point in time.

tjc, try them, the injections are not that bad and I would have them done again - just relax and think hey, I could be pain free after this - ' smilie ' smiling !

tjt - you got a full diary it would seem, sorry to hear your OH is also having problems.

Thanks to other for replies, jill and Jill - should have written all names down, just came over all of a doo-daa having been told I can get at the keyboard again, and not just playing Solitaire!!

Will keep watching for Friday's outcome tjt - and hoping all goes well for you.

fudge.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Thanks fudge..
    Hope all are well this morning. :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Fudge,

Had quite a few of these over the years. Different sorts in both the lumber and the neck.

Did have the epidurals years ago but they didn't seem to do much but the back had been misdiagnosed so that might be why.

In the lumbers case they never did more than 'help' with the pain a bit. The last ones were medrone and they were more effective than the cortizone.

The neck is now done with medrone and botox and so far its helped....

Its all trial and error but if you get a good person doing the jabs they will go for a few variations if the first doesn't help a good bit.

keeping the fingers crossed and with a bit of luck you will get a good result. Nice to meet you. Cris x