ankle arthroscopy

Options
prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 22. Jan 2011, 16:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone and a belated happy new year.
Have suffered with ankle OA for the last year (the hand RA is under control :smile: )
Pain killers,diclofenac and bumetinide (to reduce swelling) have had little effect.
At last have an appointment to see the orthopaedic surgeon/consultant in early March.I may be 'jumping the gun',but an ankle arthroscopy may be an option. :sad:
Have any of the forum members had this op and what was their experience and the outcome.
Any feed back would be welcome
Ron (prefabkid47)
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,658
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi ron

People have I promise a few of them hopefully they will see your message soon.

I just wanted to say if I remember rightly it was pretty effective and a good starting point.

and good luck :wink:

Love

toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I had an arthroscopy on my right knee, it didn't help much in terms of solving my arthritis problems but then I don't have OA! It was a doddle and the recovery was very easy. I hope it works for you, if it's offered. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • grampyal
    grampyal Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi, Just had arthroscopy on knee. In and out same day and no pain afterwards. Also it found the problem which I've had since June 2008 so glad I had it done.
    Al
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Ron,

I have had two arthroscopies on my right ankle, both of which were for OA. the first one was in 2002 and the recovery from pain was quite quick, the lenghty process was the rehab with the physio afterwards as it took quite a while for the RAF to send me private and I needed to build up the strength in my ankle again.
    After the first one, my surgeon did inform me that I would require another clean up at some point in the future.
    Approx 6 years later, the pain returned an I spoke to the military surgeons to get another OP. I was fobbed off with the usual "It won't cure it". Well obviously, but all I was after was another few years pain relief. By the time I did find a surgeon who would operate (Dr N Cullen @ RNOH Stanmore), I was told it was in an advanced state of OA, It may work, but I could also lose any stability I had and require an ankle fusion sooner rather than later.
    Anyway, I went for the Op which I had in early last year. This unfortunately did not work and I am going for the fusion in 5 weeks time.

Anyway, enough waffling. I would definately reccomend it as my first op worked extremely well (was even playing football at a reasonable level for 5 years afterwards).
    Just make sure you are aware of the possible need for repeat OP's in the future (speak to your surgeon about this).

Best of luck

Rob
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    bobbyger wrote:
    Ron,
    Hi Rob
    Many thanks for responding to my posting,very informative.

Obviously at this stage until I've seen the consultant I don't know if I would be a suitable candidate for an arthroscopy,but you do like to do your 'homework'.
    It is the lengthy rehab which concerns me since am still working,though due to retire in a years time (but was hoping to do another year).
    I'm sorry the second op didn't work,but sincerely hope the fusion is successful,please keep me informed. :smile:

Regards
    Ron
    I have had two arthroscopies on my right ankle, both of which were for OA. the first one was in 2002 and the recovery from pain was quite quick, the lenghty process was the rehab with the physio afterwards as it took quite a while for the RAF to send me private and I needed to build up the strength in my ankle again.
    After the first one, my surgeon did inform me that I would require another clean up at some point in the future.
    Approx 6 years later, the pain returned an I spoke to the military surgeons to get another OP. I was fobbed off with the usual "It won't cure it". Well obviously, but all I was after was another few years pain relief. By the time I did find a surgeon who would operate (Dr N Cullen @ RNOH Stanmore), I was told it was in an advanced state of OA, It may work, but I could also lose any stability I had and require an ankle fusion sooner rather than later.
    Anyway, I went for the Op which I had in early last year. This unfortunately did not work and I am going for the fusion in 5 weeks time.

Anyway, enough waffling. I would definately reccomend it as my first op worked extremely well (was even playing football at a reasonable level for 5 years afterwards).
    Just make sure you are aware of the possible need for repeat OP's in the future (speak to your surgeon about this).

Best of luck

Rob
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think a definition of 'lengthy' would help: are we talking a couple of weeks, considerably more than that or even months? There was obviously time lost whilst waiting for the RAF to refer: going on my experience with the NHS, physio/rehab starts about ten minutes after coming round from the anaesthetic. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Ron,

I probably wasn't 100% clear on my first reply.

The recovery from the Op was quite quick, a couple of weeks and I was back on my feet. and walking without too much bother (2 crutches for the first week, 1 for the second and none thereafter).
    The lengthy rehab was strengthening the muscles and tendons around my ankle. The reason this took so long was because the RAF had me in ankle supports and braces for a good year before I saw a surgeon that actually decided to do something and by that time my ankle was quite weak.

Hope this clears it up a bit for you.

Rob
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Rob
    2 crutches for the first week and one for the second doesn't seem too bad.
    Fortunately am still walking,albeit occasionally with a stick,so hope rehab won't be too protracted if I'm sent down the arthroscopy route.
    Thanks for clarifying this for me.
    Ron
  • amielizzie
    amielizzie Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi there!
    I have post traumatic arthritis in my left ankle and i've had 3 arthroscopies! It depends how severe your arthritis is! Mine haven't helped at all they just created more movement in my ankle as the bone and scar tissue grew decreasing movement! It is a simple procedure and its normally a day case operation so you may aswell go for it and see how it helps you because it might be of great help! I had mine done through key hole surgery too so only had 2 little scars on the front of my ankle! I've also tried targetted steroid injections which were of great help to ease the pain for a few months! You might want to discuss that with your doctor first as you seem quite scepticle on surgery! They cal also do targetted lubracant injections! So discuss some injections with your doctor!
    If you want some more indepth detail on procedures and therapies i've tried PM and i'll be glad to share!
    :smile:Amie :smile:
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Hi Amie
    I had read your original posting and was going to respond,but you got there first.Can sympathise with you,pain can leave you physically and mentally exhausted.
    Like you I've also researched various options that may be open to me (including arthroscopy,arthrodesis,visco supplementation and MBST).When I see the consultant I shall hopefully be well briefed and ask the relevant questions!Some of the therapies I've tried I would previously have dismissed out of hand,but sometimes you get desperate.
    The severity of my ankle OA will no doubt become apparent when I have a more up to date scan.Movement in my ankle has become slightly limited,but that I can live with,it's the pain when you walk that gets to you.I have had hydrocortisone injection,pain killers and bumetinide (to reduce swelling),but nothing has worked. :sad:
    Let's hope they get you sorted,but it is reassuring (excuse the cliche) there are others like us. :!:
    Regards
    Ron