Hi to everyone

Options
creekymum
creekymum Member Posts: 5
edited 13. Jan 2011, 05:25 in Say Hello Archive
Hi
I'm Lisa age 41 and looking for somewhere to moan lol.
I've just been diagnosed with OA in my lumbar spine after 12 years of hell!
After the birth of my last child 12 years ago I was diagnosed with a dysfunctional pelvis,hip pain,back pain referred pain down my legs and a gait liken to John Wayne.Previously lots of gynae surgery and problems from age 15.
Recently a physio thought I had MS and so I was referred to a neurologist who told me my symptoms were functional and I was depressed.
Thankfully due to my inability to stand,sit,lie down flat or tackle basic everyday chores I was introduced to awonderful team of OTs Physios etc.They set about providing me with aides in the home and actually believed that something was far wrong.
The physio basically hounded my GP who agreed a lumbar spine xray was in order.Result moderate OA of the spine.
I'm in constant pain/agony mmy GP said there is nothing he can do except pain killers my physio is now demanding a referral to an ortho surgeon as my knee is also creeky and agony.
I'm looking for others to chat to and hopefully find any advice that will be helpful.
Thanks for reading.

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lisa..

Welcome to the forum..

You have come to the right place to moan, cry and laugh lol..

Sounds like you have been through the mill... glad that the physios and ot are helping and supporting you now though, sham eyou have had to suffer for so long beforhand though...
    For your doc to say you will have to perserveer with painkillers seems a bit unfair...
    What are you currently taking??
    It's good that you are being referred to ortho surgeon, maybe you can get somewhere there and start to have a better quality of life..

Let us know how you get on..
    Look forward to speaking to you again soon..xx

take care
    Tracy
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is one of the more unfortunate aspects of OA that really not much can be done. Those of us with the auto-immune versions of this rubbish get to take the most appalling meds, with varying levels of success and the added bonus of extraordinary side-effects. For the OAers tho, things are lesss clear. GPs manage OA, and treatment comes down to the right kind of pain relief, possibly anti-inflammatories, preferably taken with a stomach protector, and gentle exercise. It is a difficult thing to manage, cope with and adjust too. Re the knee, well there could be the possibility, in the future, of a new joint. I am fortunate in that my back is, to date, OK (I have a different form of this pestilence). I hope you find some comfort from the forums, we are a friendly and wise bunch, with a raft of experience between us. It's been lovely to meet you and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • creekymum
    Options
    Thank you for your kind replies I am starting to feel at home already.
    Tracy my GP did not prescribe any pain relief so I'm popping Anadin and anything I can find to try to alleviate the pain.
    I've previously tried amytryptoline however I have two kids who are autistic and have to be alert all the time and I find that being doped makes life impossible for us.
    DD I agree with gentle exercise and do try to swim a few times per week water is wonderful therapy.
    My physio also suggested a hip and knee replacement may help and hopefully the orthopaedic doc will look further into this.
    Thanks Again for replying :grin:
  • traluvie
    Options
    How come your gp has not tried an alternative pain relief??
    I currently take tramadol which helps me, doesn't take the pain completely away but helps, i also take paracetamol with that too on bad days.. Everyone is different though.. and it's about trying to find the right balance... maybe you should try discussing pain relief with your gp, maybe you can find a middle ground so you are still alert for your children.. i know what you mean about spaced out, i was like that on dyhydrocodeine could not function properly at all, i then went on codeine but they didn't touch me so the tramadol was the middle ground for me..
    Keep us updated on your progress pls..

Take care
    Tracy
    xxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Morning creekymum, I hope all is as well as it can be today. Amitryp is a little too strong, given your situation, and I think you could also have the same problem with tramadol: it is morphine-based and can also therefore make one feel rather dopey! I use co-codamol 30/500 on a regular, daily basis (on a good day just the 2, on a bad day up to 6). They have 30mg codein and 500mg paracetamol. You can also have them in 8/500 version too. This could be an answer for you. They can cause constipation, if one is on a high dose. I do occasionally get that side-effect but I take docusate capsules to ease that. I find that 'ordinary' pain relief just does not have the clout I need for some easing of the pain, so it might be worth your while asking your GP about the co-codamol. If you have large prescription it could also be worth finding out about the pre-payment certificate for those - it definitely helps with that expense! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    Options
    Morning Creeky..

Just wanted to drop you a line and see how you are this morning..

Wishing you well..

Will ba back on later

Take care

Tracy..xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    welcome from me too.. I'm also a back and knee oa veteran, lol.your gp really needs to be helping you get your pain under control, well, as much as possible.. They sound useless.. I'd try and see another if that's possible. I know they can't really do a great deal to help but sorting your pain relief out with you is just the basics.

Hope you get some solution soon..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Lisa and welcome from me too!

I am sorry you have been having such a tough time of things but hope that you will find this forum a great support. I have rheumatoid arthritis but there are lots of forum members with OA so you will be in good company.

Lots love Tillyxxx
  • creekymum
    Options
    Thanks for all the hellos.I am not too good really struggling to stay upright,stand etc.
    I have to see A GP to discuss pain relief.
    Just another wee question ..Does anyone else have fluid pockets between knuckles ? I find my hands are swollen and look kinda weird lol.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi Lisa, sorry to hear you are not good today.. As for the hands, I think if you post a question on the living with section someone will be along to advise you.
    I have ra in hands and wrists but haven't had any swelling, it's fairly new to me though, plus we all react different to this bugger of a disease.
    Wish you well.. :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP