Splint and Stroke hand

Options
paulch
paulch Member Posts: 103
edited 19. Jan 2011, 15:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
:cry: Had phone call from the physio dept at the hospital as a follow up from my stroke , i have had a splint for my stroke left hand which is now suffering from OA as well , the physio is going to try and make a adapted splint to help with the OA
Has anyone else on here had anything similar done ?
paulch

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Paulch,
    I have 2 finger splints and 1 thumb splint, I have Psoriatic Arthritis and am on a variety of drugs to control it but at the moment I am flaring and the splints help give support. One of the finger splints is to be worn at night with a view to keeping the finger as straight as it can be but this was abandoned as it was causing too many problems (ie pins and needles in the middle of the night until I took the splint off!)and a new one was made which is just to support the joints. I wish you luck with your splint, I do find mine helpful although a little difficult at times to do my job (Reg Childminder) keep talking to your physio and let them know if something feels uncomfortable even if it's a few days after that's what they are there for, I really couldn't praise mine enough. I hope I've helped? Sorry for the long winded message!
    All the best Poppy X
    All the
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,658
    Options
    Hi Paul

I haven't, but do have ordinary ones for my hands/thumbs. They help a lot as they make you rest and hold the joint in the right place.

Good luck - hope it really helps

Love

Toni xx
  • paulch
    paulch Member Posts: 103
    Options
    :grin: Well just had a very good appointment at OT dept at hospital saw the same woman i saw year ago and have seen since stroke. She could not do enough for me a different type of splint for stroke hand and 2 for my arthur right hand which was a great aid, makes a change to have a positive help.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You are so right, having an interested person seeing you does make a difference and I hope the splints help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi paulch
    I am so glad you had a good appointment, they do make such a difference,it gives you faith in what they say and do.
    Good Luck with the splint, I hope it helps
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara