Is it ok to claim DLA

seamonkey
seamonkey Member Posts: 323
Hi ive just sat on my Ots advice and filled in a claim for DLA im so worried ive claimed for something i shouldnt have! Do you fill in the form as you feel on the day or in general or on worst days? Also as docs have not actually told me for sure other than arthritis in back what it is i wasnt sure what to put when they asked what diagnosis was so i just put that. Trouble is although ive told doc how it is for me its very rare that i have an appointment with her on my worst days. Perhaps i should delay a while yet.
Seamonkey

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Seamonkey,

Firstly I want to reassure you that many people with arthritis claim Disability Living Allowance (DLA). When filling out the form, you should try to create a clear picture of the difficulties you face day to day, including your worst days. You may find it useful to read our Claiming Disability Living allowance factsheet:
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/DisabilityallowancefactsheetApril10.pdf

Before sending of your application I would encourage you to make an appointment to see a welfare benefits advisor, which are located within your local council or Citizen Advice Bureau, as they are experts at filling out these forms.

As you mention you are not definitely sure of your diagnosis, you may like to go back to your doctor to explain how difficult you are really finding it, and to make them aware you are currently going through this application process.

Best Wishes
    Adele
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thank you for yor advice It has been a great help
    seamonkey