Hi everyone!!

Donna Mc
Donna Mc Member Posts: 30
edited 17. Jan 2011, 14:26 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone! My name is Donna, I am 34 years old and have rheumatoid arthritis now for about 12 years although it really started to quickly get worse about 3 years ago. I am married with three beautiful wee girls. I have tried anti inflammatories and was on Methotrexate and Plaquenil for a couple of years with no relief and unpleasant side effects and have since stopped them. I am currently waiting to start Etanercept (anti tnf) injectable drug in about 2 weeks time and would love to talk to someone who has been on this drug and find out their experience of it. As everyone would be, I'm very concerned about starting this drug as it is fairly new and not tested long enough for its long term side effects.I would be very grateful to hear of your experiences with this drug and look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks, Donna.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, I was on enbrel for a few months, but with no success. These meds do vary so widely in their effectiveness from person to person, I hope it works for you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Donna, welcome to the forum. I can't give you advise about the meds as I am on different ones, but if you post the questions that you have on the Living With section it won't be too long before someone with plenty of knowledge will be along to help... :grin:

Be well :P
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Donna Mc
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hi, I was on enbrel for a few months, but with no success. These meds do vary so widely in their effectiveness from person to person, I hope it works for you. I wish you well. DD
    Thanks for your reply, i hope i'm doing this right lol. I'm sorry to hear the drug didn't work for you and hope you are on something better now.
    Best wishes, Donna.
  • Donna Mc
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Hi Donna, welcome to the forum. I can't give you advise about the meds as I am on different ones, but if you post the questions that you have on the Living With section it won't be too long before someone with plenty of knowledge will be along to help... :grin:

Be well :P
    I am so sorry if i am doing this totally wrong lol. Thankyou so much for your advise and i will try it now :smile: Donna
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Haha, don't apologise Donna... It's just not too many folks check in on this bit :roll:

Be well :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hello Donna and welcome from me too!

I haven't had Enbrel but I know that there are forum members who are either on it or have been on it so I am sure you will get some information. I know it's scary starting new drugs but don't forget that, if they don't work for you, or you start to have unacceptable side effects, you can always stop.

Really good luck with it - hope it works for you.

Love Tilly xxx
  • Donna Mc
    Thanks Tilly,
    yea all we can do is give these drugs a try. I'm just a bit of a coward with meds. I'm the type of person who would never have even taken paracetamol, I would've suffered on with the pain rather than take them. It's just scary when it comes to the point were you know you have to start accepting medication whether you want to or not. Apparently my arthritis is quite aggressive and i have been told if i don't start Enbrel to control my disease then i'll be facing a wheelchair within the next ten years due to the damage already done to the joints.I will be starting the Enbrel sometime in the next two weeks when all x-ray and blood results are back so i will keep all posted on here as to how its going.
    Thanks to all again for kind wishes,
    Donna xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hello again Donna

Oh it IS scary, you are right but I think, given your prognosis you have made the right decision to give Enbrel a go. My diagnosis nearly 15 years ago was "erosive, aggressive RA" and I am sure that I would not be as well as I am now if I hadn't had two anti-tnfs during that period of time. Infliximab worked brilliantly for me for 5 years, then I was on Humira for about 3 years before Humira and I "fell out" big time so I am now back on just mtx and steroids but I wouldn't have missed my time on the anti-tnfs. I know they don't work for everyone but hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones and the Enbrel will make a big difference to you. Please DO keep us posted on LWA so we can be thinking of you.

Love Tilly xxx
  • Donna Mc
    Hi Tilly,
    hope you are keeping well at mo with mtx and steroids. Did the anti tnf's loose their effect on you after a while, thats another thing i'm scared of happening..lol...What happens then?...Methotrexate didn't work for me and i had so many steroids and they say that they thin the bone if used for too long....I just worry how i will cope with my three young kids in a few years time but i suppose i shouldn't always look on the black side of things..
    I will definately keep you posted and thanks again,
    Donna xx