Blue Monday, and how to beat it

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 17. Jan 2011, 11:08 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

A combination of Christmas debt, bad weather and broken New Year’s resolutions conspire to make the third Monday of January - or Blue Monday - the most miserable day of the year.

According to an admittedly dodgy formula devised by a UK psychologist in 2005, today is the day we will all suffer most from post-Christmas Blues.

However, we can take heart from knowing that we don’t necessarily need warm weather or a healthy bank balance to feel good. A charity conducted a survey to find out what makes people feel happy. Here are the top ten answers:

The top ten things that make people feel happy

1. Helping someone who needs you
2. Receiving an unexpected compliment
3. Hearing the sound of the sea
4. Sitting in the sunshine
5. Listening to music
6. Eating your favourite food
7. Hearing happy laughter
8. Winning money
9. Going for a walk on the beach
10. Having a snowball fight

So far today, I have achieved 1,2,4,5,6,and 7, so I'm feeling pretty happy. It's a beautiful sunny day, so that has definitely helped to raise my spirits too :grin:

I hope that your Monday hasn't turned out to be a Blue one.

Joan :grin:
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's rained heavily all day and the earth saving gloom bulbs are fizzing at their 2 watt best in my office, the hall and for the first flight of stairs. I have achieved no. 6, I could do the music one but cannot be *****, the rest can go hang. I think I fit the criteria for a Blue Monday. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Oh dear, DD, I'm so sorry that your day is fitting the criteria for a Blue Monday :x The weather here in Derbyshire has been lovely today- a real breath of Spring. Sorry to sound so annoyingly cheerful myself when you are a bit down in the dumps.

Anyway, I'm glad that you have achieved at least one from the list, and here are another two for you to add to it (1 and 2)
    I think you help numerous people on here every day with all your excellent advice and support. I also really appreciate your sense of humour. :grin:

Feeling a little less blue now :?: I hope so :!: :grin:

Joan :grin:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    ooops only done 5 of the list

so i don't suppose its that bad
    I am a happy flamingo i suppose today :grin:
    Will be happier when OH gets home.

Juliepf x