Living with Arthritis at 21

amielizzie
amielizzie Member Posts: 21
Hi,
My name is Amie and i'm 21, i suffer with arthritis in my left ankle. I developed arthritis when i had an accident over 5 years ago now where i broke my leg, ankle and dislocated my foot. After 3 operations i'd developed severe arthritis by the ages of 17 and a half. I never really felt anyone understood just quite how much pain i was in apart from my Mum but she was still shocked to see the xrays of my arthritis development. My Mum has been my real rock through these past 5 years, she understand how hard it is for me and is always there when i feel down about it. I don't know how i would have coped at all if it hadn't been for her.
My Mum and i then did research into all different kinds of therapies and tried them all osteopathy, physio, vitamins, all different kinds of painkillers and it's just not helping me! It's so difficult to describe the pain, the joint i use the most out of anything has become my worst enemy.
I'm on tramadol painkillers at the moment which help but the only way i can get real relief for a brief time is when i take tramadol, paracetamol and iboprofen. At 21 sometimes i get so down when i take a moment to think about how my life has changed, i can't do any sports, i can't walk for any more than an hour without being in severe pain and after 7 operations now I just feel at a loose end. The only procedure i have left is Ankle Fusion surgery and i was just wondering if anyone had been through it and could make me feel a bit better about choosing this option? Obviously at 21 i want to get my career started as i've just graduated uni but i'm struggling more and more to be able to get out of bed in the morning. I would just like some support from people who know what i'm going through. This is the first time i've tried talking to a support group or anything like that.
Thanks =-)
:smile:Amie :smile:

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Amie,
    What a brave girl you are! I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable re ankle fusion etc, my problems are Psoriatic arthritis (joints are hot and inflamed) but just reading your story filled me with immense admiration for you and your Mum. I'm amazed you got through university with the problems you've had, well done you!
    I'm sure someone on here will have experience in the 'ankle field' and post soon, may I also suggest you give the Helpline a call? They are very knowledgeable and are lovely to chat with.
    Nice to 'meet you' and hope you keep posting. All the best Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Amie..

Just wanted to say hi and welcome...
    You have come to the right place to talk and i'm sure some1 will come along to answer your question shortly...
    Unfortunately i'm a newbi and still not got a diagnosis but i know the pain you feel in your ankles... i had a bad day yes and felt like i wanted to cut them off.. it's a kind of throbbing pain that circulates round the joint... when it bad i just don't know what to do with myself.. it like no other kind of pain... so i can certainly sympathise with you there...
    You are lucky to have your mom as such great support and you have done well to carry on as best as you can... the hard part is adjusting to the things we can't do as well.. that what i finding hard.. but i getting there and taking each day as it comes...
    Hope you get some answers...
    keep us posted..
    look forward to hearing from u again..
    Take care
    Tracy
    xxxxx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Amie,
    Welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time at the moment, however I am glad that you have taken this first step to getting support from others on the forum who understand and can pass on there wisdom. For further mutual support you may also like to post this on our ‘Living with arthritis’ forum, which tends to get more activity.

Deciding on surgery is difficult, it can be useful to discuss it with a medical professional and gather all the information together, to take into account the pros and cons so that you can make an informed choice. You may therefore like to read our booklets ‘Surgery and Arthritis’ and ‘osteoarthritis of the ankle’, which discusses what to consider when deciding on surgery.

Surgery and arthritis-
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/SurgerybookletApril10.pdf

Osteoarthritis of the ankle-
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/OAanklefactsheetOct10.pdf

I hope that helps, however do bare in mind that you can always call us on our freephone confidential helpline to talk it through in depth.

Best Wishes
    Adele