The shape of things to come?

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 21. Jan 2011, 08:32 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

In the new Health and Social Care Bill proposed by the govermnent, GPs will be given around 80 per cent of the NHS budget - currently topping £100billion a year - to commission services for patients.

I hope this will work, or could we be in a situation like this :?:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1348778/Mac--NHS-job-reforms.html

Joan :grin:
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    that's exactly how it will be, lol..
    Surely GPs have no financial nounce... I'm not sure how I feel about it yet... Will see but I can foresee problems.

Can imagine or GPs making us share painkillers to save money! Hope it's my turn today, lol..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I'm a bit worried about the amount of power they will have to decide who gets what. I wonder what checks there will be to ensure fairness :?: But a new contract which makes GPs more accountable is likely to be part of the package of measures included in the white paper, so we are told.

Accountable to whom :?: The patients :?: I hope so :!:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    GPs are General Practitioners, not bursars or accountants. It'll be a huge mess and I fear that those who are in need will yet again lose out to those who are not, but who know how to work the system. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i trust my gp practice better than those who run hospital at present they trying to make us travel miles to different hospital for most things when we got good hospital here in town it takes an hour on buss to get there no good in an emergency
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about my GP practice having control but wonder whether some would be seen in a newly bought Lamborghini.

That's what's worrying me too. :shock:
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Options
    I personally don't care what car they drive as long as they are good GP'S,A good doctor,who cares and understands,and gives you the support you need are worth there wieght in gold and I don't care if they earn loads!!Mirabella
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    That's another thing, will they decide what wage they get themselves!?
    :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joan,

Personally I think it's scary.....

It doesn't matter how good gp's are the fact remains they are businesses and at the present time they can be bad enough My old ones ran the practice as a business already) but with this they are likely to all drop in care.

not least cus their budget will be cut from 12 pond per head to 3..... so sub standard care for the long term but not likely to die will ensue.....

Then there is the fact they will not be able to do it them selves from time and the fact they are not accountants so will either the practice manager or an outsider brought in to manage the finances be the person who governs our care? High wages or a bad one? which do you think?

We have the worst hospitals according to the tables in the UK here ... that might well get worse but so will yours....

This is not a good move!

That's what i think Joan........ Cris xx
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    I am incredibly worried about this, and really do think that it will be an expensive waste of money like 'rail privatisation' (hugely subsidsed by taxpayer) , PFI (very costly poor value for money contracts), utilty privatisation ( causing allsorts of problems for infrastructure) which will result in huge amouts of chaos and a much poorer quality of service for most and will inevitably end up costing billions of pounds worth of 'restructring costs'

Its poorly thought out and is being rushed through and will have repercussions for generations.
    I think a huge clue to what a bad idea it is, is that GP's don't even really want it!!! :shock: ,
    I'm not saying the NHS is perfect or that it couldn't save money but this is not the way to do it
    A very worried
    Chrissie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Chrissie,

Didn't realize gp's are against it as well but 100 % with your post as well.

Hope your doing ok? Cris x