Pet therapy!

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 25. Jan 2011, 05:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Pet therapy is the best. There is nothing as good. Anyone agree? :grin:

I have a 2 year old toy poodle who's basically a massive ball of messy fluff. He gives cuddles and kisses and he just knows when I need him.

Sophie x

Comments

• fayrose
    fayrose Member Posts: 241
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I totally agree and not just for the cuddle factor, which is fantastic. If it wasn't for my 5 beasties there are some mornings when I probably wouldn't get out of me pit. :roll:
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Couldn't agree more ; we have a 3 yr old staffy / collie cross and she is the sweetest thing , always knows when I'm in need of extra attention and also knows when to steer clear of my moodiness ! Jillyb
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I have 3 lovely staffs... and they keep me company at home(where i am most of the time) and when my partner on nights i have them all snuggled up to me in bed..
    I love my mutleys...xxx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • jayneys
    jayneys Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi Sophie I have a new baby, a kitten a fluff ball,full of fun ,lovley to watch.She was not for me ,but for my old cat PADDY,he was so sad when his companion of ten years,was put to sleep.But getting to the point yes ,i think they do help very much. When i am feeling bad ,my dog of 11years just sits by me as close as he can,its funny how they know. JAYNE X
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    You are so right , my 2 jack russels dogs are the best thing to cheer me up. They are there no matter what , waiting for a stroke. jack and jilly mean the world to me and OH . when i am in a lot of pain and feeling fedup they seem to know and come for a cuddle . ................jilly
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    today I have been feeling particularly down & our staffie/collie cross has been near me all evening. At one point she climbed on to my lap whilst I was sitting at the computer!

they really do help, and are amazingly perceptive.

WOnky xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Sophie

I quite agree with you and the others here and do so miss my moggies which have chosen to live with me for a while. They really did know when I needed a purr to cheer me up and made amazing hot water bottles too.
    Chris
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    an animal is a loving giving creature that gives unconditional love , me i have two Jack russells , and a pond full of fish that show reaction when i am round the pond , where as people will ignore me for days x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Did somebody say something :shock: :wink::lol:
    Just kidding Berty, hope you and the pets are well today matey..
    We have two house cats that definitely know when I'm suffering.. Funnily enough they both weigh just about the right amount to press down on my hop or back when I'm in bed, they usually come and lay where I need them to when I ask them as well.. Lol
    They're my furry purry chiropractor.. Haha

Plus, someone once told me they taste like chicken :shock: :lol::wink:

bertyboy wrote:
    an animal is a loving giving creature that gives unconditional love , me i have two Jack russells , and a pond full of fish that show reaction when i am round the pond , where as people will ignore me for days x
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • sunnyhours
    sunnyhours Member Posts: 151
    Options
    Yes, animals do indeed help when having a bad day! I know my Fox Terrier is always there when I'm not feeling too good and in of attention and perhaps a good movie to watch hehe :grin:
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,956
    Options
    Yes i agree we have 2 mini dachshunds and the try to tell us when they want there tea.
    dogs and cats dont ask for much only a walk and food but they give so much back.
    ours are 15 11 years. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sophie,

How did I miss this one......

Animals eh... got a lot! Never say how many but a lot covers it :wink: They are very good at helping to keep you calm in the most part... side glance at gimpy the collie cus he is damaged and drives me up the wall :lol:

The best are the sheep... giant great smelly comfort rags that even at the moment when things are all a bit raw with them (I have recently lost one) they always make me smile and feel better.... if you could house train them they would be good on the PAT visits for hospitals]me but there is a question as to if sheep are continent :lol::lol:

Animals are there for you and usually don't turn on you (again A SIDE GLANCE AT BITH GIMPY AND SLIPPER BOY :lol: ) in a way that humans often can't do. Hope your doing ok by the way flower? Cris x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Sophie :grin: what a great thread!

I have a 14yr old cat Smudge and two labs, Ruby and Jakey- boy... although sadly Jakey- boy is on long term loan to one of my sisters as, with arther doing his worst just now, I just can't manage two boisterous labs. :sad:

Both labs are almost 4yrs , very affectionate to the point of smothering and always 'happy' dogs to have around. If left to their own devices they would sit or lie on top of me, so their particular brand of pet therapy tends to be a bit OTT. :lol::lol:

Smudge sticks to me like glue.... but I think it's because I make a good hot water bottle, rather than the other way around. :wink:

good to read what pets we all have.

Iris xxx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Sophie,

Great thread going here. Although brought up with dogs I seem to acquire tortoise shell cats. Three in the last 30 odd years. All completely different characters, the one we have now was abandoned in the field next to us and decided to adopt us about 7 years ago. This one is very much for cuddles as and when she feels the need. Defiantly not a lap cat. Saying that she does seem to know when I am at low ebb and will snuggle up beside me and treats me to purrs. :grin::grin:
    The one before her was like having a furry mitt stuck to me. Still miss her though.
    Lv, Ix
  • Starburst
    Options
    Aww I'm glad you guys liked this thread. I've enjoyed reading about your pets. :)
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Completely agree with all this! I am lying on my bed with my two dogs curled up asleep by me... they are both so huggy, it is lovely to have such devoted dogs to love! :grin::lol:
  • need me bed
    need me bed Member Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi all,

I love my 3 **** cats, (2 with fur 1 without) to death and some days could really squish them and eat them, (do cats taste like chicken??) not really :lol:

They are all very sensitive to how I'm feeling, Milly a 7yrs old moggie (with fur) is usually quite aloof and keeps herself to herself, but she know when mum's having a down day I swear down she does. Milly is not a cuddly cat but usually brushes past my hands or legs until i pat her :grin: Button is a 6yr old girl (named after Jenson Button *phwoarrr* :oops:) she likes to come and snuggle in bed before i go to sleep. We have a good ol' chat it's great... ok she doesn't answer back in 'real life' but she does in my head and has a nice calming voice. Now Lewis (after Lewis Hamilton of course) is not yet a year old and he's a Sphynx Cat and he's the little baldy. Yes I know you all probably think I'm a bit weird having a bald cat but hey-ho if the hat fits..... He's the most loving, caring warm cat in the whole wide world. He's in ya face and all 'look at me, look at me' in a maniacal way... funny as and makes me proper belly laugh on a daily basis. Hel like nothing more than to curl up on my lap while we watch telly together. I haven't figured out what kinda programmes he likes yet, but Milly absolutely loves nature programmes pawing at the fishes and meowing at the birds. She also come running when she hears the theme music for the CSI programmes!!
    I wouldn't give up any of them for the world, if it wasn't for them i'm sure i'd have done something serious to myself as i quite often have feelings of suicide. Don't all shout at once.... I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!! I know it won't happen, it's wrong and I have so many good things in my life, but it doesn't stop the odd though slipping in now and again. I would recommend pet therapy to anyone coz i sure couldn't live with out it!

xx
    f055.gif

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.
  • BoleynBlue
    BoleynBlue Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I am jealous, I desperately want a dog, a bit worried about the walking side of things though.

I do have two cats, but if they are not out then they are upstairs asleep so it's not the same as having a dog.
  • Starburst
    Options
    BoleynBlue wrote:
    I am jealous, I desperately want a dog, a bit worried about the walking side of things though.

I do have two cats, but if they are not out then they are upstairs asleep so it's not the same as having a dog.

I got my dog before I was diagnosed with RA. Some breeds don't need loads of exercise, Oscar doesn't but he requires a lot of mental stimulation. At my worst, I had a dog walker for him. I still do but only for the days when I'm at college because I don't like to leave him alone for long periods of time. My family help walk him too on my worst days. Actually, having him is really motivating because it forces me to get out when I want to lie in bed.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    We have only had our dog , Betsy , for a year now and she does need a lot of exercise but it works well for us as my hubby is my full time carer and he does all the walking . I just join in the fun by watching from the wheelchair ! Oh , and husband has lost 2 stone in a year , just from extra walks , a winner all round . Jillyb
  • Starburst
    Options
    jillyb1 wrote:
    We have only had our dog , Betsy , for a year now and she does need a lot of exercise but it works well for us as my hubby is my full time carer and he does all the walking . I just join in the fun by watching from the wheelchair ! Oh , and husband has lost 2 stone in a year , just from extra walks , a winner all round . Jillyb

Can you play catch with Besty? What breed is she? Oscar really cannot seem to master the art of retreiving. He runs off with the toy and woofs at me. It's cute and funny but not a proper game of fetch! :lol:
  • BoleynBlue
    BoleynBlue Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I like the toy breeds so it may be possible to have a dog one day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Greyhounds are the most indolent of pets. They require two twenty minute walks per day - and may even decline to go out for them if it's wet or too cold. Smaller ones are available. I don't know how much it costs to 'run' a greyhound. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    Options
    after reading this i am beginning to think i should have got a dog instead of a cat! :sad: my cookie (domestic short haired but with british blue colouring) is a real little handful, constantly climbing and chewing and destroying all my wooden furniture - she is only 9 months old but there isnt an item in the house she hasnt destroyed! its like having a puppy. she can be affectionate but is very strong willed and independent - i've tried all the anti scratch products possible and i keep cardboard boxes now for her to destroy.
    I love her to bits but a lap cat she most definitely isnt! She came from a local shelter and the OH chose her, i should have known what i was getting into when she was the only one hanging off the mesh in her pen at the shelter. Yet if we have visitors she curls up in a little ball and is the perfect companion :grin: she is a sneaky little thing. I've had cats from babies before and never had one that has been this much of a handful!

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I've always called my guinea pigs my furry prozac if I feel depressed or generally out of sorts i pop down to the piggy sheds and get cuddles from these amazing tolerant adorable furry balls of love I use to have 45 but am down to 7 what with my OA etc I found it hard to clean them out so daughter does it for me bless her, once they started dying of old age I add I just did not replace them but do intend keeping at least 10 of them they give me a reason to get up when in pain they need me as much as i need them,
    hubby fitted 2 hugh sheds with indoor runs and heating fly zappers ( i get great satisfaction as it pings another one bites the dust lol ) give me spiders but flys no no no,
    I also have 2 mad border collie brothers who are almost 2 they too know when I need cuddles and have been amazing after I had my hysterectomy in Oct 09 and last year my 2 wrist ops not jumping on me but being very gentle and loving animals know when they are needed in fact give me animals over people anyday, present company excluded