Amitriptyline 10mg

Options
traluvie
traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
edited 29. Jan 2011, 13:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening all,

Picked up my prescription today from rheumatologist.. he has prescribed me amitriptyline to help me go to sleep at night as the pain keeps waking me..
I believe these are depressant tablets.. not sure how they work.. do they relax you..
If any1 has taken these or on these would appreciate some feedback..
Thanks
Tracy
xxxx
th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx

Comments

• miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

My Rheumy has been prescribing me these for the past year now.
    In strong doeses they are an anti-depressent, however 10mg is a low dose as is used to treat neuropathic pain (nerve pain)They appear to work in the nervous system by reducing the nerve cell’s ability to re-absorb chemicals such as serotonin and noradrenaline. If these are not reabsorbed they accumulate outside the nerve cell and the result is suppression of pain messages in the spinal cord.

in my case they relieve my back pains and allow me to get some much needed deeper sleep to ease the pains.

x
  • traluvie
    Options
    Thanks MissL..

That was very informative..
    Wasn't sure what time to take it as not sure how quick i would feel anything.. i took one about 9..
    Be nice to get a gd night sleep without waking with pain..
    How soon did you notice it working?..

Tracy
    xxxx
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Anytime :)
    Just glad to be of service!!

It took a while to find the right time to take them, for me its about 8 as i get up at 5.30 and feel too sleepy at that time if take them any later and dont feel any benefit. However, i find it very difficult to get out of bed whatever time i take them!

It took about three weeks for me to notice a change, was starting to get annoyed that it wasnt a quick fix, but being able to sleep now is amazing! last night i had 7 amazing hours of restful sleep ... bliss!

Hang in there ...
    :smile:
    xx
  • traluvie
    Options
    I hope i get up as i have to get kids up for school lol..
    See how i get on..
    Thanks again.. i appreciate the info.. it helps alot..x

Tracy
    xxxx
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Hi Tracy I have been taking them for 12 months , i found they didnt work , so i was told to take 2 , it also took about 3 weeks to work but when it started i found them great . I took them at 9 and by 9.45 i was all relaxed and sleepy . I would give them a go. getting a good nights sleep is so important. I think they do help with the pain because you are more relaxed. hope they work for you . ........jilly
  • traluvie
    Options
    Jilly i agree.. a gd nights sleep is important.. gives your body time to refuel.. not had alot of that recently so am looking forward to a gd night sleep..
    Hope they work for me lol..
    Take care
    Tracy
    xxxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Tracy
    I started on 10mg, am now on 25, they really do help you to sleep, like they say take them early, but be aware that they take a week or two to get use to, I felt quite groggy for the first week.
    They also relax you this I find is brilliant for back pain.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    Options
    hi
    i have been taking them for ages and they give me the much needed sleep i had been missing out on!!
    They work well on me but I have to take them about 9pm so I am not too groggy in the morning. If i do that I feel good in the morning.
    Gx
  • meanyjarReA
    meanyjarReA Member Posts: 39
    Options
    I have just finished a month of being on these!

They are wonderful!! Once they kicked in I slept, no more painful shoulders waking me up or my painful hips!

I did struggle to wake up in the morning and that came as a shock as I slept in once because my brain wouldn't register the alarm noise so my children were late for school!

However, once I realised how drowsy I was in the morning I found that if I literally forced myself to get out of bed it would soon wear off.

For the whole time that I was sleeping through the night my days were fantastic, I found that the majority of niggling aches went away and I was energetic during the day, the arthritis fatigue never kicked!

I am going to ask to go back on them as this last week I have been sleeping really bad again and I have been very un-energetic during the day.
    Jean-Mary
    www.meanyjar.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/meany_jar
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    I have them too

they are lovely I take 25mg and take them about 8pm as they do NOt work straight away. the first one i ever took i didnt wake till 1pm, but noiw I am as usual, just better rested.

they also act as a migraine preventer

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Me too!

I'm now on 50mgs at the mo and take the tab at 8pm.... otherwise I'd not be able to function next day :shock: . It helps with nerve pain and with the previously elusive ability to 'fall asleep'.

I do still wake during the night when I need to turn over but don't stay awake for long thanks to the Amatriptyline.

Iris xx
  • spacey
    spacey Member Posts: 126
    Options
    I too have found this medication really helpful in getting better sleep. I need to be up early for the children so need to take mine at 8pm, it will take a while to work but when they do you will notice a difference. I have recently doubled mine and felt groggy in the morning for a few days but then this settled down.
  • meanyjarReA
    meanyjarReA Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Well this has helped me too, my mistake was taking them just before I went to bed...going to try them earlier once I get my next prescription!

Jean-Mary
    www.meanyjar.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/meany_jar
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Well this has helped me too, my mistake was taking them just before I went to bed...going to try them earlier once I get my next prescription!

Thats what's good about this forum...you get much more information then your GP can give
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • traluvie
    Options
    Well i took my first one last night, not expecting it to work just yet...
    I took it at 9... by 10 i was feeling relaxed which was nice.. i watched eastenders, turned the tv down.. next thing i know i wake at 7am.. first time in a long time i slept through..
    Have felt bit weird today.. i'm sure that my body getting used to them..lol
    Thanks for all your advice and support..
    Take care
    Tracy
    xxxxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I take 25mg Amitriptyline at night. I take is around 8.00 pm if I remember - that seems to suit me best. It does take the body a bit of time to get used to it. Ami is prescribed for quite a few different things ie IBS, migraine, to get a decent night's sleep and in higher doses, depression.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I take amitryptiline at night. I have cervical spondylosis and it helps to relax the muscles so I can get some sleep. I take it early in the evening, about 7pm so I am not too groggy the next day. I find I still wake up with pain, but am able to get back to sleep again, which didn't happen without it. I can take up to 30mg, but I find 10mg sufficient.
  • misfit76
    misfit76 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there i am also on amitripyline on 75mg.... also take dihydrocodeine at night time... it seems to be working in a combo as the amitryptyline wasnt numbing the pain all night for me :S still i get a lot more sleep now than i used too!

Heres to heavenly sleep ZZZZZzzzzZZZZZZZ!
  • joanneredshaw
    joanneredshaw Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi Tracey

I have been taking Amtriptyline since December and I have to say that yes, you do get a good nights sleep, but I feel so groggy during the day it's hard to function normally. I did take 20mg but I have cut it down to 10mg because of the side effects.
    I take it because of the chronic fatigue I suffer with along side RA. I am now being assessed for Fibromyalgia. The Amtriptyline does make fatigue sufferers more prone to being drowsy during the day.
    I did take it at 8pm, but my doctor has advised me to take it even earlier because of the drowsiness. I will see how I get on.
    Good luck Tracey, I hope it suits you.

Jo :smile:
  • traluvie
    Options
    It is actually working great..
    Ihave slept every night since starting them.. which is wonderful..
    The side effects i'm having are dry mouth... and my bowel movements aren't regular.. but for a decent nights sleep i don't mind... :smile:
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi, i take between 20mg & 40mg depending on pain levels.
    I get a dry mouth at night too, I always have a glass of water next to the bed to save having to get up through the night.
    I have been on these for over 3 years now & they work. I still wake as i turn over as its painful but i go straight off to sleep again.
    I am groogy in the mornings but i find as soon as ive had a cuppa & my morning meds it soon wears off. Worth it though for a good nights sleep.

I also take mine between 8pm & 9pm as any later & im asleep all morning & cant get up.
    debs