The cost of arthritis

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 12. Feb 2011, 11:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
Painting has been an expense. Rather than do it myself I have to rely on either OH or pay someone else. At the moment OH has gardenong duties sort of under control but I am sorely tempted to get a gardener once a month for a tidy up. I actually built my first garden from scratch from a building site, digging, planting,and shifting mounds of earth to change the levels. This was years before arthur.

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Del
    I always did the decorating and gardening...we have just had a room decorated...I couldnt believe the cost....sitting there watching and thinking I could have done that for the price of the paper....has for the garden.....lots of gravel I think :roll:
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    try not to think of all this as it frustrating when you get into what you could and what you can not do now not to mention the cost as you say less money more expence life sucks at times but look on bright side no arther no us you would never have got all us pals :smile::smile:
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    ....and they say we don't need DLA??

.....sigh :roll:
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    I know its a difficult one - I used to do all my own decorating, cleaning, etc
    Now its generally paid for - the cleaner is probably the biggest outgoing because its once a week, many people say ahh but you would have had one anyway as you work full time but i’m not sure I would. I many have her because otherwise my house would only be clean in a band from about 3foot – 5ft off the ground which would be rather odd. :roll:
    Another one is I always used to be able to kip on the floor if dropping in on a mate for a night but now I have to get a hotel as I need a bed to sleep on. Makes trips to London so much more expensive.
    To be honest it’s not so much the extra cost but the frustration and the requirement to be organised (against my natural instincts) that gets me down
    Chrissie
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Have done painting and decorating in the past, many moons ago.... I was so stubborn I did the front room and hallway myself, it has taken a yr and a bit so far, I've got all the doors to gloss, can't afford to pay someone and I'll be honest, I'm a real perfectionist with things like that so friends offering to do it is very appreciated but I know I would criticise, mean I know... Lol
    It has been, now I couldn't believe this when up worked it out, nineteen years since I got medically retired, and I'm in a lot worse of a state now, haha... Good old arthur, likes to make things fun and expensive eh
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Imonly just starting to realise that not only do we have to suffer jibes from people etc and the fact that we may not have such a long working life as we would wish or at all, but all the little extra bits add up. Coffee in a cafe because i need a seat and a hot drink for a while before moving on agian when in town, extra heating as being cold is torture! Coal instead of chopping wood as OH doing stuff tohelp me when not at work and theres no time. Extra petrol as i cant walk very far like i used to. Prescriptions each month, Hospital visits in aberdeen mean flying from orkney which is paid for but then have to spend 8 hours in aberdeen untill flight home which will mean eating out taxis coffee etc. Starting to panic now as docs have signed me off and i dont have any sick pay to come. Any one any idea how to feed 4 kids on grass :lol:
    Seamonkey
  • tjt6768
    Options
    seamonkey wrote:
    Imonly just starting to realise that not only do we have to suffer jibes from people etc and the fact that we may not have such a long working life as we would wish or at all, but all the little extra bits add up. Coffee in a cafe because i need a seat and a hot drink for a while before moving on agian when in town, extra heating as being cold is torture! Coal instead of chopping wood as OH doing stuff tohelp me when not at work and theres no time. Extra petrol as i cant walk very far like i used to. Prescriptions each month, Hospital visits in aberdeen mean flying from orkney which is paid for but then have to spend 8 hours in aberdeen untill flight home which will mean eating out taxis coffee etc. Starting to panic now as docs have signed me off and i dont have any sick pay to come. Any one any idea how to feed 4 kids on grass :lol:
    Seamonkey

Hi SM, it costs us more than we think eh?
    So, you're from Orkney? I have a good friend up there that I went to school with, she has a clothes/jewellry type shop...
    Maybe you've been in and bought stuff :shock: :lol:
    As for feeding kids grass, just blend it up and force feed them!! :eek: :lol::lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • seamonkey
    Options
    Hi tony.
    Orkney bigger than most think and theres quite a few jewellery/clothing shops. He he. As im not a fan of shopping i mainly run in and run out of supermarket. :lol: Well not quite run
    well manage money wise always have done its just a worry now more than has been in the past. Kids will eat fine and i need to lose weight anyway!
    Your little picture always makes me smile.
    Seamonkey
  • seamonkey
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe ideas. Unfortunately im no chef and can barely cook mince and tatties! But well manage fine although your thought was lovely,
    seamonkey
  • tjt6768
    Options
    You know some folk, no idea of how big other places are, lol..
    Not as bad as the Americans though, they think we all know the Queen and Hugh Grant.. :lol:
    Don't worry, if you had met her you'd know, she's barking mad.. Haha
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Think Only49 is from the orkneys too...

Saw the area on homes under tha hammer and I can certainly see the appeal.

very pretty

Love

toni xx
  • seamonkey
    Options
    orkneys a lovely place although can be expensive to live. Just heard today that average weekly wage is 400 odd quid here. Brought me to reality when my partner has worked 55 hours this week and not had a day off for 10 days, he gets 220 a week with no over time. No wonder ive been moaning about the food bill going up by 30 quid recently!
    Keep on smiling. :grin:
    seamonkey
  • tjt6768
    Options
    It is hard eh? My friend I mentioned earlier had a sandwich bar there and she has had to sell it, things weren't going well for her... Such a shame as I know that she had put a lot of effort into it, still has the jewellery/clothes shop as far as I know though.. Don't think business is great.. :roll:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • seamonkey
    Options
    I would imagine since a big supermarket opened up things will be tough all over. town shops just cant match prices, however if staff in shops gave good customer service more people might make the effort to use them. I wanted a pair of shoes i saw in a shoe shop but they didnt have any in my size although they said i could order them in to the shop, i would of had to pay fiver deposit and 4 quid for delivery charge. Not to mine to the shop i would still need to pick them up.
    Its almost as though they have given up hope.
    I was aghast at thier cheek and told them i would order from the internet. Be the last time we use that shop. which we had used alot in the past what with 4 kids, we do tend to buy shoes now and again, :lol:
    seamonkey
  • need me bed
    need me bed Member Posts: 103
    Options
    may I just mention, I get the PrePaid Prescription now, I couldn't survie with out it, It's saved me an absolute fortune. You pay the fee and then get as much prescribed meds as you need, no limit on it either!!

No more thinking i cant afford to be ill, no sick pay and then the expense of the meds too. I'm gonna stop there and not even get into it or i shall want to strnagle someone and my hands are sore today....
    f055.gif

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.