Ankle Fusion Surgery

Options
amielizzie
amielizzie Member Posts: 21
edited 6. Dec 2011, 10:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
I just wanted to post this with a direct title for anyone who has had or is going to have ankle fusion surgery. I'm 21 and have had 7 operations but the severity of my arthritis has become so bad that therapys and operations aren't doing anything anymore. If anyone has any information about how ankle fusion has helped or hindered them i'd like to hear it. My story is with the title 'Living with arthritis at 21' if you're interested in reading the facts of my condition. I can recommend treatments i've tried that helped me for a while is anyone has arthritis in their ankles too just let me know by posting
Thanks
Amie :smile:
:smile:Amie :smile:

Comments

• amielizzie
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I guess i am alone in this department then! More internet searching for me! :smile:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Amie,

You're not alone as I have RA and my ankles are affected as is the whole of my body. My right ankle fused itself many years ago so although I've not had an op I have to live with an ankle which doesn't move.

The advantage of having the operation is that your surgeon will set your foot in a good position for walking. Mine has set okay by itself and the only problem I have is on steep inclines when I have to walk on my heel or the side of my foot in order to make me feel 'safe'. I'm not able to wear narrow-legged trousers or knee length boots either.

Hope this helps.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I did read this post earlier as I am due ankle fusion surgery and I am just waiting for an increase in pain so they deem me eligible for an operation. However I know nothing about ankle fusion so didn't know how to reply!
    I was told I would be able to dance again though and there would be no pain.
    Linda I am wondering why you can't do boots and narrow trousers. Is this because you cannot manipulate the foot into the required position?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

I can't do narrow trousers or boots because you have to be able to point your toe in order get them on, if you watch your ankle which doesn't hurt when you put on socks/tights/shoes/trousers etc you naturally point your toe in order to get them on. I do wear ankle boots but these are very different from the knee length zipper type.

Suppose it could be just me being extra awkward :roll:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Amie,

I can't personally comment on how it has affected me yet as I'm due to go in for my fusion in three weeks time. I can however pass on what I was told by people who have had the operation. I was at an ankle fusion forum held by the staff at RNOH Stanmore. There were two people there who have had the op and the only regret they had was not getting it done sooner. One of them was a middle aged lady who had the op 6 months previously and she was walking with no limp whatsoever, her gait was normal and she still had plenty of movement although she had a single fusion (Movement all depends on the type of fusion you have.) The only pain she has now is where the pins they inserted are rubbing under the skin but apparently it is a simple op to remove them as once the bone has fused, they are not needed anymore.

I do have a patient guide about fusions and recovery after the op if you would like me to email you a PDF copy (or anyone else for that matter / unless there is somewhere on this forum where you can place files for others to view)

Hope this helps,

Rob
  • sturge8
    sturge8 Member Posts: 164
    Options
    All joints need to operate smoothly and freely, if a joint is fused the surrounding joints have to work extra hard in order to compensate. This means these surrounding joints will quickly wear too, so fusion on a weight bearing joint, is just going to create further joints problems down the line. As for the gait of someone with a fused ankle being 'normal' i find that hard to believe. However i think you can have a ankle replacement put in, later down the line into a fused ankle joint
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What an excellent description of arthritis. None of our affected joints work smoothly or freely, thanks to degeneration or inflammation. As I have understood it life becomes easier after a fusion, as the pain is significantly reduced. OK, movement may be limited, but less pain? No contest, in my book. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Options
    I have found a clip online of someone walking after an ankle fusion. As you can see, there is no noticable limp or change in their gait. But, all people are different and some people may not be this lucky. Just hope I am :smile:

http://www.thefootandankleclinic.com/media/fuser.ank.g.mpg

Rob
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    That is a good vid Rob.

good attitude towards the opp will probably go a long way.

I will pass it on to my BIL who is going 'on the list'

Sturge how is yout treatment going? andy improvement?

Toni xx
  • amielizzie
    Options
    Bobbyger,
    good luck with your operation! Let me know how it goes and all the best for your recovery!! =-) i'm sure you will be fine!
    As for the comment below by Sturge8 "As for the gait of someone with a fused ankle being 'normal' i find that hard to believe."
    I think what Bobbyger mean't is that people who have had the surgery have gone on to lead normal lives which is what i have heard. Fusions completely stop the pain and the new style of walking is met with physio takes a while but subsiquently produces walking without a limp! A lot more normal than my walk at the moment i can assure you lol! Ankle replacement surgery is not an option for me at this age as they are really flimsey (unlike hip replacements) and will only result in replacement of the joint due to wear and tear every few years or a fusion, so not really worth the hassel of all that + because of the lack of development my doctor is really against it! I've also spoken to him about the implications on my other joints and the physio and check up will make sure other joints do not suffer as it is worse at the moment as i completely rely on my right leg to hold my weight as my left (being the bad) i can't wait bare for a long period of time so in the long run i don't think i'm going to suffer as the fusion will help my distribute some of my weight around more effectively.
    I'm having a really bad time with my ankle at the moment which isn't good! Fusion is becoming more and more a daily subject and contemplation. I've found a lot of the information you've produced on here really helpful and i'll be really interested to see how Bobby gets on.
    Thanks everyone for their constructive researched comments! Much appreciated! =-)
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    I had an ankle fusion 30 years ago, and is now only just starting to give me problems again.
    To last 30 years is some going, so I would advise you to have it done, as these op's are quite routine these days, as long as the surgeon is reputable.
    I also had an ankle replacement on the right ankle 3 years a go, and that is quite a good operation as well. Both are long jobs, averaging a couple of months on crutches etc. Alanthemanc
  • davidben85
    davidben85 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    morning all,

I am 27 and was told yesterday after the results of my x-ray of both ankles that I either need a) ankle replacement or b) fusion. I have been struggling with my ankles now for 7 years and I am not really sure what to do, my physiotherapist keeps pushing for fusion but I am struggling to come to terms with having this procedure at such a young age. Any advice would be welcome.

shame I cannot upload the images of my scans on here for you all to view..

If anyone would like to e-mail me direct please do on, i]Email address removed - please PM Ben for the information - Moderator Z[/i

Many thanks

Ben.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,956
    Options
    Hi Sturge.
    i had a tripple fusion in june i have'nt had a problem with it
    but now i'm having a problem with the ankle it keeps giving away
    with sharp pains when it happened first i fell over.
    today i went to the doc he sent me up for a exray i had 5 so i hope they find out whats wrong.
    i was told after the fusion i could have to have a replacement ankle.
    i hope everyones having a good day.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    I had triple arthrodesis, (mid foot fusion) in October 2010. May 2011, (same foot) debridement surgery, September 27th 2011 I had big toe partial fusion, tendon transfer and small toe k-wired. Before the first op I was told that I had a maximum of 10 years mobility without it so I had no choice in my mind. The arthritis pain has gone. My range of movement has decreased but it was never any good anyway. (I was born with Club feet) As I'm still in plaster I don't know if I'll have a limp or not. What I do know is that I WILL be able to walk. I don't care if I limp. After all I've been through, in the last 52 years, I will limp proudly and hold my cane in the air like a badge of honour. When I was 2 days old, my mother was told I would NEVER walk. JUST LOOK AT ME NOW!! :grin::lol::grin::lol:
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • cacyhi
    cacyhi Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Hi

I had a triple ankle fusion 10 weeks ago due to adult aquired flatfoot due to RA and hypermobility. Right now, I feel like I will never walk again and that my foot is completely useless. I have been 9 weeks in a plaster cast and am 1 week into an air cast boot and wishing Id never had it done. At the moment it "looks like Ihave a montain to climb" before me - I want my life back and I know its gonna take some doing and luck. But I do believe I will get there, otherwise no one would carry out such an operation if there wasnt a fair chance of at least being able to walk again. If I hadnt had the op, ina few more months the ankle would have given way anyway. I am older than you, but its still a major decision whatever your age and being younger you need all the professional opinions you can get to make the right choice for you. I wish you good luck.
    CAROL (Cacyhi)
  • flexible1
    flexible1 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Ben,I'm due for surgery in January and like you,had an xray that showed severe degeneration in both ankles.Fusion in the left and steroid injections in the right has been suggested,although I know the right ankle will have to have surgery eventually.I need to talk to my surgeon next Tuesday 13th Jan. to decide the possibilities of ankle replacement and its reliability ie.duration.It's a difficult decision but I have to do something as I don't want to be on pain killers for the rest of my life.