Exercise and Pain!!!

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 23. Jan 2011, 17:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I'm back after a few days finding it difficult to type for long. It was my fault, trying to do too much, I was hoovering the carpet and suddenly felt something pull in my neck and I've had a bit of pain in my neck and left arm, but its getting a lot better now. Trust me. :roll:

I am also finding the gym a bit much, they work you quite hard, (well for a clapped out old lady, its hard). I'm fine when I'm doing the exercises and feel I could do more, but, after a rest the nerve pain starts to get really bothersome. I'll mention it to the trainer, but the amount of energy it takes out of me is amazing, the next day I can sleep all day! :shock: I suppose I have to go through it to build up my strength, but I just think its over the top at the moment and I spend too long in one session. Its over an hour, more like 90 mins.
Hope everyones as well as possible. Love Sue xxx

Comments

• alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Baby steps Sue! Don't want you wearing yourself out before you are ready for a major gym session!

Although, it does make me a bit of a hypocrite for saying that as at the moment my only exercise is at my hydrotherapy sessions once a week (it's all I can do at the moment), but while I'm there I truly beast myself and by the time I get home I do have to sleep for a couple of hours - who would have thought that bobbing about with some floats and doing a couple of stretches could take so much out of you! So I totally get where you are coming from being so exhausted... take it easy and slowly build yourself up - I don't think that I could ever sustain a 90 minute session in the gym when I was totally fit and healthy!... (I really should listen to my own advice, I know I'll beast myself hard next week anyway!) xx
  • woodbon
    edited 22. Jan 2011, 07:08
    Options
    Thank you, I suppose I do like to turn up the machine and do a few extra exercises! I compete with myself, I enjoy it at the time and try to limit myself! Love Sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Sue,

There's a golden rule to exercising with arthritis, according to my physio, if you still hurt after half an hours exercise you're over doing it. 90 minutes is far too long at first - maybe you should build up to it gradually. I think you need to talk it over with your trainer.

Good to see you around again. :grin:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think it sounds as tho you are doing far too much in one go. Seriously, woodbon, you need to limit yourself to minimise the payback and increase the benefit. You don't start training for a marathon by running a marathon. Stop before it starts to hurt - 'no pain no gain' is not an applicable concept for people like us. 'All pain, little gain' is more realistic. Start with ten or fifteen minute sessions, perhaps, and build gradually. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi the thing is it dosn't hurt much when I'm doing it, its later! But, legs, the rule your physio gave you does sound sensible. My trainer does ask, but I just say I'm OK! :oops: I just want to get fitter quickly, I start off thinking I'll be sensible, but then I'm silly. Its just I'd like the old me back. Sorry, I'm feeling sorry for myself and really I'm lucky in so many ways. Love Sue
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Woodbon, I stand (albeit with the odd wobble) in awe. I couldn’t manage without making exercise a priority but, whatever form your arthritis takes and whatever stage it’s at, 60-90 minutes in the gym is pretty good going. If it’s a post-op group session, most physios are brilliant but you do get the odd one who has no appreciation of individual bodies.

I’m pretty sure you shouldn’t be so clapped out next day and that you should be careful where nerve pain is concerned. You don’t say whether or not you exercise in the non-gym days. I find I must exercise daily as I soon lose built-up strength but it’s also essential to listen to your body (Mine’s usually saying ‘a fit young cricketer & a glass of wine, please’. Never works). One of the things I most hate about this disease is that I have had to learn to be sensible – sometimes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Sue

I agree with what the others have said. My physio said the same as Legs's ...that if you are still sore an hour after exercise..then it's too much.

The other advice I was given was to break up the exercise into smaller sessions... ie.. 3x 10 mts a day rather than 30mts in one go. 90 mts seems excessive. :shock:

Hope the neck pain eases too... be careful! If there's pressure on the nerve then you need to take it easy and if no better please see your doc?

Iris xxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi the thing is it dosn't hurt much when I'm doing it, its later! But, legs, the rule your physio gave you does sound sensible. My trainer does ask, but I just say I'm OK! :oops: I just want to get fitter quickly, I start off thinking I'll be sensible, but then I'm silly. Its just I'd like the old me back. Sorry, I'm feeling sorry for myself and really I'm lucky in so many ways. Love Sue

I really do understand Sue - I think everyone of us would like to be the 'me' we used to be. :smile:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Sue

Glad you are enjoying the exercise and hope the payback doesn't last too long for you and gets easier after each session. It does sound as though a shorter session would be less demanding but I can understand your wanting to do as much as you can. Good luck with it all and get plenty of rest when you need too.
    take care
    Chris
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Sue,

You definitley need to take it slowly and build up. If you push yourself and are in agony, it's undoing all the hard work. Have you tried swimming after the gym to relax?

Sophie x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've given up listening to my body - I know what it wants and needs but trying to provide it leads to painful days of enforced rest, stranded on the sofa. I would treat it with respect if it deigned to return the courtesy.

stickywicket: Alistair Cook. Yum-yum. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    "Alistair Cook. Yum-yum. DD"
    OK DD, I'll fight you for him. No sticks, crutches or performance enhancing drugs. Loser gets Doug the Rug
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Does humira count as a performance enhancer? I suppose it would. :sad: OK, you're on. :grin: DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Sue.....You know byu now to pace yourself :smile: .....the exercise is no different.....take it easy. You will undo andy good you have done.....slow and gentle.....yes you shoud be in pain{or achey} the next day if you've been using muscles you didnt know you had......My physio said muchthe same as the others....but I tend to ache {not pain} the next day but its not too bad. You do sound as if you are doing to much.
    Ok lecture over LOL :lol:
    Love
    Hileena